Posts by Mara

a quick summary in English (admittedly not the best) but all other technical articles are behind a pay wall

Do flash drives go bad?
    Yes. All USB flash drives will eventually go bad since their internal memory chips can only be used a finite number of times. The other important part of the device is likely to fail long before the memory fails due to overuse since all other components on the USB flash drive are prone to failure.

Which lasts longer SSD or HDD?
    SSDs, especially the SLC or MLC variants, will last much longer than any hard drive since hard drives are mechanical devices.

I don't care about my OS, I use all my other systems (FreeNAS, Home Assistant) with USB or SD cards =) The more important is the backup, I am never bothered with HA or FreeNAS because it is restored quickly and easily.

However, I never restore my OMV with fsarchiver.

Nope. In order to restore a fsarchive, you need to use a different system or boot a live linux distro like systemrescue. If you are using an arm device, you can't boot systemrescue.

Why? I have plenty of systems that have been running for years on usb sticks. As long as the flashmemory plugin is used and you buy a decent stick, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. The normal problem is people use an existing stick that they have had for years or it is just ultra cheap. And if usb sticks aren't good for the OS, then all of these arm boards running off SD cards are in trouble...

Perfect, I will creat an USB boot with systemrescue. Is there any documentation for its use? GUI or CLI?

Hi,

My OMV is broken (my USB key ;()

I just install a new OMV on a new USB key

I was able to recover 6 backup fsarchiver files :

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.blkid

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.fdisk

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.fsa

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.grub

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.grubparts

- backup-omv-27-Dec-2020_00-00-14.packages

What is the best method to restore them to my fresh installation?

Thx!

Hello the team :)

I made a clone of my installation from an SD card to a new 64Gb usb key.
    The procedure went well but when I boot on my new usb key my OMV is extremely slow, I have communication errors when I try to log in, docker is KO, SSH is extremely slow and I have lot of mails log:
    for exemple:

When I check df -h from SSH I have this result:

I can't understand what can cause such a peak of activity and make my OMV unusable...

Does anyone know this issue?

hi @ryecoaaron , I can not understand the dmesg:

Where can I find the log file of fsarchiver? maybe the backup is right and it's just a graphic bug

to complete these are my parameters:
    openmediavault control panel - openmediavault.WORKGROUP - Google Chrome 2019-11-18 09.40.32.png

The shared folder has all the rights in reading and writing, no smb share and nothing else in

Good morning all,

I allow myself to relaunch this topic, indeed I docker installed on my OMV5 and all my applications are accessible from Traefik, it's really great!
    But what would be the process to integrate OMV? how should I configure it? For example with my dockers it is a great simplicity with the labels but on OMV which is a physical machine I do not know how to do..

Perfect, I stopped momentarily the Docker Transmission and I was able to launch the stack.
    I went to the end of the procedure and no way to connect to my url https.

Here are the logs of letsencrypt, If anyone have an idea?

I finally found the solution!

Below my approach if someone is interested for custom a specific server with privatevpn in openvpn:

1- Environment to edit
    Portainer - Google Chrome 2019-11-02 12.37.52.png

• remove the variable OPENVPN_CONFIG

2- Create a new volume in the docker
    Portainer - Google Chrome 2019-11-02 12.44.04 (1).png

3- download TUN servers list and create the final custom file

• You can find the list here
    • Choose your server in the UDP folder
    • Add on the file this options:

and the last line in the crypto part:

Code
    # Crypto
    cipher AES-128-GCM
    auth SHA256
    auth-user-pass /config/openvpn-credentials.txt

4- to finish...

rename the file default.ovpn and place it in the new volume.
    Restart docker.

Sorry for my english ;)