Posts by ozboss

I need to downgrade to bpo.2 from bpo.3. Is there an easy way to do that?

If bpo.2 is not available (as it was for me) you can simply:
    apt install linux-image-5.4.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
    Then select the kernel to be the default boot kernel in OMV-Extras.

I think that is related to @limac findings in his post 4, also this post would confirm that there could be an issue in relation to the arp cache.

Sorry I don't understand what you are trying to tell me.
    Yes the problem seems to be that the arp is not cached properly and so far we thought that the current raspian kernel is the problem.
    But now that I have the same issue on a completely different architecture with different kernel version it seems to indicate that this is not necessarily the case...

OMV ISO image might not base on Raspian OS

Yes the image is based on Armbian.

Although I'm not sure anymore that the kernel is really the problem...
    I installed OMV on an Intel x64 pc, as I was having all sorts of issues with my current setup on my Pi.
    So now I'm running OMV5 with kernel 5.4.0 (amd64) and I experience the same behaviour...

@limac WOW thanks for putting in all that efford, you are amazing.
    This is exactly why I wanted to pin down the problem, so that we can open an issue at the right place :)

Oddly iobroker seems to behave differently than pihole (by now I have the pihole container running as well).
    When I ping from inside my iobroker container to any machine it is reachable for every other machine aswell.
    So this was an easy fix as there is a ping adapter for iobroker that is usually used to check if certain devices are online, now I just set it up to ping my PC every minute and so far everything is working for a whole day already without issues :).
    (This also worked despite my PC beeing turned off for the last ~20 hours)

EDIT:
    Just checked again and the ping adapter seems to be scanning the whole network, so that might be why :D

So lately I've been struggling to get my containers to connect to my network over MACVLAN.
    This problem is also beeing discussed in this thread, but I wanted to make a dedicated one to get more awareness on this topic.

So when setting up a container with MACVLAN it basically seems to work, but it is not reachable from other devices.
    A perfect example would be any GUI that the container might have, this is the case for Pi-hole and IoBroker as discussed in the thread that is linked above.
    A temporary fix is to log in to the container via console and ping the device you try to access the GUI from.
    After this the GUI can be accessed as usual, until after a while it can't be anymore and the process needs to be repeated.

Another issue that seems to be related is that with IoBroker (used for home automation) I keep losing the connection to my MQTT devices. They work again when I ping from inside the docker, go into the GUI and restart the relevant adapter from there.

This has not been the case a week ago, but I don't remember what update might have caused this behavior as I was trying to fix some other issue at the time and by now also have reinstalled the whole system.
    So the issue remains also after a reinstall and so far seems to be happening on Raspberry Pi's.

TLDR:
    The GUI of containers attached to the network with MACVLAN are not reachable anymore.

So the question is does anybody know what is handeling the MACVLAN driver, is it Linux/Raspbian, OMV or Docker?
    And maybe does somebody even know a solution to this? :)

Macvlan driver is from docker as far as I know.I couldn't say anything since this is too bizarre for my limited knowledge..

But glad it helped. Although I also noticed that you would need to re-ping your desktop after sometime to keep the GUI working :)
    Nice security feature huh? lol

You are right, the only reason it would be portainer is if it didn't create the macvlan settings correctly.
    But as you also tried it in docker directly with the same result it won't be portainers fault.
    Anyway I'm happy you found a temporary solution as this was driving me nuts.
    I recreated my macvlan network in every possible way, also tried to ping the container just not the other way around :D
    So I was just ready to reinstall omv, as I thought maybe first have a look in the forums.... :thumbsup:

Figured it out, it is because I did a ping from the pihole container to the machine which I used to browse the GUI.

WTF :D
    I had similar problems reaching my iobroker container in the last days.
    It worked but I was not able to reach the GUI.
    Now I tried to ping my desktop pc from inside the iobroker container and holy smoks the GUI shows up :D
    So I don't think this is related to pihole itself.
    Either it is a problem with portainer or omv itself....

Edit:
    FYI my iobroker container is also connected to my network via macvlan.
    So I don't know whether the underlying linux system (omv) or portainer handles the macvlan driver.

Have not messed with OMV for a while and the system runs stabel so far.
    Just updated everything and enabled testing repo again and it still is loading very long until it throws the communication error.
    The changes still apply so nothing to really worry about, but the issue remains.

I don't know why but since a couple of days I keep getting communication failures.
    Tried reinstalling a couple of times, also on different SD cards, but still the same behavior.
    This mostly happens when mounting drives and turning on or off repos in OMV-Extras.
    The things do work though after trying a couple of times, but it just all appears pretty unstable.
    I read somewhere that it might be because the server is too slow to make the php work properly,
    but I'm running OMV5 on a Raspberry Pi 4 with SanDisk Ultra SD Card, so this should be fast enough right?

Will you share, please?

I'm using this enclosure, simply because it was the cheapest (notice the 20% discount code right now [German Amazon]).
    Basically any enclosure that has the Jms578 chipset will work, maybe there are other chips too idk.
    And they are quite a bit cheaper then the StarTech ones :D
    Although thanks for the info @Adoby
    Yes performance is why I wanted to use the SSD in the first place.

Maybe I didn´t get it: Do you try to connect to an OMV Samba share or to the OMV´s WebUI? In the latter case the user name is "admin" with the password which was specified during OMV installation.

Trying to access an OMV samba share on a windows laptop...
    (Btw a user can login to WebUI to change password)

Ok thanks, well my own work laptop doesn't seem to be part of any workgroup so that is probably the reason why it doesn't show up and I won't mess with that as I'm not using it private.
    On my gf's laptop I would like to get it to work as this is the only machine that she's using.
    OMV shows up there and yes it is no problem to login to windows, but when I try to login to the OMV server it always puts the domain in front of the username.
    So when I enter the username like username and enter the password, it says that the login is not valid and shows me the username like this domainname\username and promts me to put in a new password....

This is an update to this pinned post, where samba's 'access based share enum' didn't appear to work.
    It now does, so you can do the whole process a lot easier.

• Add access based share enum = yes to 'SMB/CIFS' -> 'Settings' -> 'Advanced settings' -> 'Extra options'

Anmerkung 2020-01-19 193712.png

• Now when you create a share within 'Shared Folders' make sure to give access rights to the relevant users by clicking the checkboxes under 'Privileges'
    • When adding the share inside 'SMB/CIFS' -> 'Shares' set 'Public' to 'No'
    • Now everything should work as intended, folders just show up for users that have access rights

Thanks for the tips.
    Well I would have the possibility to move docker to an external SSD.
    I just don't know if this makes things any better.
    I read that over USB there is no TRIM available...
    So if this just going to decrease the lifetime of my SSD I'd rather have it on my SD card, this way I could also backup everything in one go.
    I want to use my HDD for data only so that it is able to spin down when not in use.

I cannot access my shares in my local network with the laptop I got from work, neither can my girlfriend with her laptop.
    With my laptop the server doesn't even show up, with the other laptop it does but always has the companies domain in front of the username.
    Is there any way to figure out how to connect to OMV without getting our IT departments involved?