Posts by vaultluke

Hi everyone,

I watched this tutorial by Tecnno Dad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HPXGKfFibc

I was wondering how my dynamic public IP get updated. Do the container installed manage to do it by itself or it is something I have to do via cron linux command as suggested on duckdns site? As far as I know, many DDNs services often asks to install their client on the your host machine to send their servers your IP updated on a regular basis.

Could you help me figure it out please?

Thanks

ok, I'll go for the debian-first route then. Thanks

Why not simply try both and decide for yourself.

Shouldn't take long.

The installation process can even be succeful for both methods, but it is not only about get the job done. I'd like to know which one is the best and why, also if either of them can go through some issues after a while. Maybe other expert OMV users can give their thoughts. Thanks

Hi everyone,

In my OMV5, I enabled Samba and created a few shared folders. I created a few users in it as well. Now, each user through his or her OS (Windows 10 mostly) can only get access to his or her files via authentication. There is also a public folder whose files can be read and modified by everyone in my LAN. Good.

Since I am not a linux expert (although I started studying it), I don't know well how to use linux by commands in a shell, but for learning purpose, I'd like to know which commands would show me how the file smb.conf is set up, which folders are shared and their permissions, users and authentication details too.

Could you tell me which commands should I run?

Thanks

Hi,

As a backup retention way in Duplicati I set number 2 for "A specific number" (keep backups), but in my Google drive storage I see the same old 3 .aes file for my backups, even after a few backup procedures.

I expected to see 6 files (3 for two backups), then the oldest three be deleted every new backup.

How comes? Is it the way it should be?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

While waiting for a full-fledged rclone plugin for OMV5, I'd like to learn how to use rclone via command line properly.

My backup software on Windows 10 creates a compressed file of a few folders which in turn are copied as a backup in a OMV5 folder.

I'd like now to encrypt them first, then upload them on my online google drive folder on a regular basis.

I tried duplicati, but I had some issues with it (i.e., it didn't see subfolders on my backup folder on OMV5).

I heard of rclone and I would like to give it a go even though I am not very good at using linux commands.

Could you please explain how it works, or, at least, suggest good text tutorials which would show me clearly how to iinstall and use it properly?

I stumbled upon a couple of video tutorials about it, but it was hard for me to make sense out of much of them.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I installed OM5 as a VM on Proxmox. It works fine, but I am now struggling with a network issue.

I have two Windows 10 PCs. The first one (A) with Windows 10 pro 64 bit installed on it, the second one (B) with Windows10 LTSC.

Both computers can access each other's shared folders without any problem.

I also created a few shared folders on OMV5. Computer A can get access to them flawlessly, but when computer B try to access OMV's shared folder I get this network error message:

"Network Error

Wondows cannot access \\ 192.168.7.20

check the spelling of the name...bla bla bla

Error code 0x80070035

The network path was not found"

I don't know how to fix it. I tried many ways, but I always get the same error back"

Could you please help me figure it out and fix it?" Thanks

I'd like to install zoneminder in my OMV v.4, but I found out that OMV can't see my logitech C270 webcam.

I was following this "techno dad" tutorial:

So I installed v4l-utilis in OMV, then I run the command "v4l2-ctl --list devices", but it came up with:

Code
    Failed to open /dev/video0: No such file or directory

I installed OMV as a virtual machine in VMware workstation, in which I installed linux lubuntu too. Well, If I run lubuntu, VMware can see that a webcam is plugged, while if I run OMV, Vmware can't see it, so OMV can't see it either. That is strange. Any idea?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I installed Syncthing on my OMV as a docker, then I installed it on my Pc too. I can share a folder between them, meaning that if I change something in the folder on my desktop (even just modifying a .doc file), the folder with the same name on my OMV will be uodate at once. Good, it is what I wanted to achive.

I then installed Syncthing app on my smartphone too, then add it as a new remote device in my syncthing "pool".

Everythign still seems to be working fine as long as every device is connected to my home LAN. Things get a bit tough when my smartphone doesn't use my LAN via Wifi. it struggles to syncronize with the other devices.

Any advice in order to to ease syncronization when my smarphone is conencted only via LTE? Could there be any issues with my windows 10 firewall?

Thanks

I think it has to be docker exec -it pihole bash to get to the shell

But is it ok to run that command in the shellunabox's web client?

I executed this:

dig a-ads.com

and got this code:

No 0.0.0.0 as far as I can see above
    Thanks

Something like
    docker exec -it pihole if pihole is the name of the container

https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/exec/

Need I to run this command in Shellinabox?

I executed this command:

docker exec -it pihole dig google.com

and got this:

Is pihole runnign as a DNS resolver?
    Thanks

Hi everyone,
    Because of permission issues I deleted two shared folders. One of them was Plex's media folder.
    So, I need to create a new one and put my media files in there.
    I want to do things right this time though.
    I was wondering if it is better to create a public folder in order to let Plex access them without any permission issue, or if it better to
    create a private one (to which just one user can get access and copy-paste files in there) for sicurity issues. You know, I'm worrying about if someone can get access to my pc through a public folder by esploiting some Plex's vulnerabilities (the media server and its app)
    Could you please give me any advice about that?
    Thank you