Beiträge von Tom_G_2010

EDIT: Sorry I did not notice this thread is about omv 0.2. This way is only tested with omv 4 and 5.

Truth be told, neither did I. I built my NAS a month or so back using OMV 5.

I did get things moved over but, I stumbled through it a bit. Fortunately the drive that started to fail was one I used for backing up connected pc's and storing software downloads. If I lost the content I could have run new backups of the connected pc's and download other missing content.

I'll chock this up to a good live fire drill or practice run. In the event that one of the other drives with more critical content fails I have at least worked through this once.

Thanks All for the feedback and advice!

How do I replace a disk that is NOT in a RAID?

I have a disk that is throwing SMART errors and I want to replace it.

First, how do I copy the current contents to another mounted drive that is currently not in use?
    Second, how do I unmount the failing disk? In 'Storage' I have 'Physical Disks', 'S.M.A.R.T.', 'RAID Management', and 'File Systems', but in 'File Systems, 'Unmount' is inactive (grey).
    Third, how do I tell Plex Media Server where the files are?

Steve,

Where you able to work through all this?

I am now facing a similar situation. I have a 1.4Tb drive that currently has 3 shared folders on it that is throwing more and more frequent errors. I have a new 4Tb drive available to replace it.

I read through the guide material referenced above by Crashtest but I'm just not putting it all together.

I could really use a little guidance on this if anyone has the patience to go over the basic process.

Thank!

It appears all is working now. Shortly after I followed your suggestion to install via the compose file I was able to access the web interface and the client on my first pc went active. Thanks!

I have two outstanding issues and after that I think I'm all set.

1. I have a daughter away at college, I want to figure out how to setup backup over the internet for her laptop. One of the earlier failed installs of UrBackup showed a an external IP and Published Port in the container list. In the now working install there's no IP or port. I need to figure out how set that up.

2. I missed the lines in the compose file that established the back up directories. The compose file puts them in /var/backup under /root which is on a really small SSD. I want to edit that to put them on /dev/sdc1 in a /pcbackups folder I . When I look at the backup storage field in the web interface it only shows /backups. So, it appears to assume the /var part of the path. How do I enter the path for for my /dev/sdc1/pcbackups.

No dice trying to access the port, but when I look at the list of containers I see
    Portainer listed with an 172.xxx.xxx.xxx IP with published ports 8000:8000 & 9000:9000
    and Urbackup but with no IP address or ports??? I assume I've not got the setup properly completed...

Apparently I need the "Absolute Idiots Guide to URBackup" Or at least a little help to bridge some knowledge chasms...

I've have docker and portainer setup through OMV 5 and I have urbackup running in a container. But that's were I hit a wall...

I've read several pages of info and watched a handful of youtube videos. The ones that show it being used with OMV are all showing screens in OMV (supposedly OMV 5 in at least one video) where you can see the container or urbakcup and manage it from there. I see no such screens.

Is it totally different in OMV 5 or have a missed a huge chunck of how to integrate and use it ? Are there any up to date guides that a newbie like myself could look at. I need a shove in the right direction...

WOW! Several options. I did come across a you tube while working this morning that looked at UrBackup. Looks like a possible solution.

For the PCs that spend most of their life at home I like the idea of simply keeping most of what's important on the NAS. A few of them though are out of the house more often than not. And, I'm also dealing with a couple family members who don't have good backup habits so I'm leaning towards a client server arrangement where the server manages the schedule.

I'll also take a look at Synchronicity.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas!

I just got OMV 5 installed and all appears to be running stable. I'm now working on my backup configuration for the OS and Shares thanks to a lot of good information on the forum here.

Many years ago I had an HP Home Server, it's long dead and buried now, that I used for several things to include creating nightly incremental backups of 6 PCs on my home network. I'm contemplating doing the same again now that I have OMV 5 running but, I'm not sure of how best to go about that or what app or plugin to use.

Much of what I've read on the forum seems to focus on OS and Share backups. But I'm not finding much, may be my poor searches, about backing up Lan connected devices to my NAS.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Added note: I did a reset on the services antivirus screen in OMV and I am back to getting the permissions error.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-shared01/Documents: lstat() failed: Permission denied. ERROR

when I looked back at the clamd.conf file it appears that the reset changed the user back to clamav.

Apparently that's to be expected based on the warning in the second line of the file that reads: # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

Any further thoughts on how to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tom G.

Hi,

I've run into a similar issue. I have a new install of OMV5 and I added the Clamav plugin. I setup a job to scan one of my shared folders and when it runs the job fails indicating it does not have permission to access the share.

I attempted the above steps changing the user to root, but in when I go back to OMV and try running the job I now get a different error message

"ERROR: Could not connect to clamd on LocalSocket /run/clamav/clamd.ctl: No such file or directory"

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Tom G.

I am trying to follow the "Adden-B-Installing_OMV5_on_an R-PI.pdf" document to setup OMV on my Pi 4. I set one up as a test a couple weeks ago and it went flawlessly. This time around, new Pi 4 (2G) and SD card. Everything goes well up until I try to start loading OMV. I am getting a series of error messages whrn I try and load the OMV script from github.

At that point I get the following error messages:

Zitat

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wget -o - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash
    bash: line 1: --2020-03-03: command not found
    bash: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    bash: line 2: `Resolving github.com (github.com)... 140.82.114.4'
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Am I entering something incorrectly in that command line? Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tom G.

It isn't related to the RPi or OMV. It is a terrible idea to use raid on usb disks anywhere. And since the RPi can only use usb disks, raid shouldn't be used on it.

While a usb raid enclosure would work fine on an RPi, ask yourself why you really want something meant to add availability and redundancy to an RPi which has nothing to make it available or redundant. I will also throw in the standard "raid is not backup" comment.

Thanks for the quick reply!

You suggested I ask myself why. Here's the why: Many moons ago I had one of those HP Home Servers with 4 drives in it. I had drive 0 and 1 mirrored for storing important files and it saved my bacon when drive 0 had a mechanical failure. So, I was thinking about that and hoping to mirror two drives for the same reason. I understand that the Pi is a single point of failure. But, my thinking was that if it craps out I don't suffer any information loss, but if a drive fails, I do.

It is my understanding, again, total noob here, that Raid 1 would give me mirroring. Am I not understanding it correctly or barking up the wrong tree?

Again, Thanks!
    Tom G.

PS: Regarding overarching backup. I was also looking at other physical media and/or encrypted cloud storage for backup.

New to NAS and PI and so pardon any ignorance on my part. I searched the forums but didn't find an answer to my question.

I am setting up a NAS with a Pi 4 and OMV. I read the cautions about not running RAID over USB so I wasn't planning to go there. Is that RAID/USB issue related to the PI USB and/or OMV or is it a broader issue?

As I looked at multi bay enclosures for my drives I noticed that some advertise as having "non RAID" or "Hardware RAID" options. Is that hardware RAID subject to the same RAID/USB issue or is its implementation in the drive bay device somehow outside or beyond the issue referenced in the OMV documentation?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or clarification!
    Tom G.