Beiträge von mervincm

Lastly, I managed to find a nic that the boot/install process does not support, (a realtek 2.5GB NIC)

So I decided to try an install with that as the only NIC. Right away it told me it didn't find a compatible NIC and to chose the driver for the network card. since you didn't see this, I don't think your network card compatibility is the issue.

The only way I was able to stimulate your issue was with an unplugged network cable.

try another one, make sure its plugged in solidly, and into a LAN port on your comcast router.

good luck!

OK, I repeated the install, this time with nothing plugged into my network port, to simulate what happens when there is no path to the DHCP server.

The install proceeded as before, but instead of asking me for the hostname, I now got a notification that network autoconfiguration had failed.

This lines up with what I suspect you saw.

So, bad cable or maybe incompatible NIC still seem possible issues.

I continued with the install choosing not to configure network at this time

I then saw the bad mirror red screen, like you did. this seems expected when network isn't functional.

I had to back out and not configure an archive mirror

the install completed and I was prompted to reboot after disconnecting the installation media, so I did.

It rebooted into OMV, so i logged in locally with root, then ran omv-firstaid, and chose option 1 to config network.

At this point it listed my intel NIC, so I know that the driver loaded and the nic is compatible with debian / omv.

I configured it to use dhcp with ipv4 and not to use ipv6 and then restarted it with the reboot command.

I then plugged in the cable, 2 seconds later i got the two beeps letting me know that OMV had started correctly.

sure enough I pinged it from another system and it responded correctly.

If you can get into omv-firstaid it will tell you if the nic was loaded correctly, even if you dont have a cable connected.

OK I just installed a fresh disk and put the latest OMV ISO on a USB boot. I told my bios to boot from USB and it did. I selected the language/KB option and it got to the point it attempts DHCP and I got a message it was successful and it is asking me for a hostname.

At this point I can already ping the OMV system (by the DHCP assigned IP address, you can get that from your comcast router) from another pc on the same network.

If you can't do the same, I would suggest that you have a cabling problem, or the NIC in your laptop might not be compatible with debian

MIMO errors are related to wireless connections, so thats not related to your issue.

You will not have an http proxy. That is typically for a corporate environment that does not provide a direct path out to the Internet.

leave it blank is correct.

If your laptop has a healthy network connection on your local network, you should be able to ping it from another system in your home. chose something also wired ethernet if possible.

Once the install is done, you will know if DHCP was the issue, and if manual ip config was the solution! I hope you are right. Next you will likely find that you used up your 500GB drive for OMV install, but one problem at a time :)

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. DHCP is enabled as per your screen shot, and DHCP is pretty bullet proof. When it does not work, I would always start with the physical layer. Are you positive it is plugged in all the way on both the laptop NIC and on the comcast router side? Do you have a link light to show that you have a connection. Are you positive you cable is good. do you have another to swap in to make sure?

I have only installed OMV 5 or 6 times, but I have always used DHCP till install was done, then I swapped it over to manual ip config.

Can you go into your comcast modem/router's portal and then DHCP server and see if it assigned your laptop's ethernet nic an ip address? it should list a mac address and ip address pairing that you can then compare to the mac of your laptop's ethernet nic to make sure that it was the correct device and NIC.

This way you can confirm that the DHCP process completed.

I bet you are going down the wrong path looking for an older install. Make sure you are using cabled Ethernet, not wireless WiFi, this solution, by design, is not WiFi friendly.

agreed! I am still playing with it on a spare system, but so far it's excellent. Community seems to be excellent as well, folks are willing to help without the snark that has crept into some NAS communities. its given me exactly what I was looking for, a full blown linux install with an add on that removes much of the drudgery from having to do it all from scratch via command line.

tree was not installed so I did that. unfortunately more of the same. It supplies the optional "dev/srxxx" value, but not the required "dev/sgxxx" value

root@omv:~# tree /dev/disk -a

/dev/disk

├── by-id

│ ├── ata-HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH12LS35_K95B2RE2718 -> ../../sr0

There was a line for my optical drive in /etc/fstab, but it only included the value that I could get from the drives section in the GUI, /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

if you happen to know where I could have confirmed the other value (/dev/sg1) I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the response.

You were right! As soon as I loaded a data DVD, it displayed it as a disk, at /dev/sr0, in OMV. I suppose I am still too used to Windows GUI where you see the disk even if nothing is loaded in it.

I did understand that I needed to add the device lines to the compose file, but without knowing what the values are for my drive in my system, I was following the container owners suggestion of running it without the device lines, and then looking for the error messages in the container log. Since I didn't see the errors there at all, I was questioning if my problem was at an even lower level.

This is from their github

The easiest way to determine the right Linux devices to expose is to run the container (without --device parameter) and look at its log: during the startup, messages similar to these ones are outputed:

Code
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: executing...
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: looking for usable optical drives...
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg3], but it is not usable because:
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh:   --> the host device /dev/sr0 is not exposed to the container.
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh:   --> the host device /dev/sg3 is not exposed to the container.
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: no usable optical drive found.
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: exited 0.

In this case, it's clearly indicated that /dev/sr0 and /dev/sg3 needs to be exposed to the container.

None of these error messages were in my container log for makemkv.

in any case, I now know my sr value is /sr0, I just need to find the sg value and then determine the device lines to add to the stack compose file.

thanks again.

Is there anything about the debian / OMV install that would impact the ability to make use of optical disks?

I confirmed the disk is listed in my BIOS at boot, so there is no SATA issues etc.

I created a new stack for makemkv, and as it suggested I left out the device lines from the config, in order to view the log and help identify what the devices are to be added.

nothing was listed in the container log that spoke to optical disks, leading me to wonder if the OS sees them at all.

basic compose file

version: "2.1"

services:

makemkv:

image: jlesage/makemkv

ports:

- "5800:5800"

volumes:

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol1NVME/appdata/makemkv/config:/config

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol1NVME/appdata/makemkv/storage:/storage

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol1NVME/appdata/makemkv/rips:/output

environment: