Beiträge von STUKguy

before I go to far into this and maybe confuse you with needless info.

1. what is the output of:

Code
    docker info | grep Root

2. Are you using symlinks in your stacks/docker-compose files? And just out of curiosity, how many containers are you running.

Thank you for your help KM0201 i was thinking the seller might not want to take it back so i thought i would build it up now just in case but luckily i saved all the docker scripts from my old build so it didnt take that much time to get back up an running, also i found the VM does have a back up and restore function.....i found this out after i dismantled mantled machine 1 to put parts into machine 2 but at least i know for future reference.

I don't know about VM's... but docker.. "maybe".

If you've got your containers folder mapped outside of /var/lib/docker.. (or even inside I guess).. you could move that docker folder to the new machine. Depending on how your system is set up however.. that could cause a lot of chaos (ie, creating UUID's that don't exist, etc.)

KM0201 I've contacted the seller of machine 2 and hoping they will take it back but if not to save on the hassle i will just rebuild from scratch but using legacy instead of UEFI. which is not ideal but i cant really afford to buy another machine at this time.

Though i do think OMV could do with some option on backing up and restoring config/settings

As long as the new hardware is recognized by the Kernel, yes it shouldn't be a problem.

Hey KM0201 ,

For some unknown reason the new system I'm trying to transfer my OMV to wouldn't accept the UEFI i had OMV installed on, but i just a new fresh copy using UEFI on the new machine, which makes no sense to me???

Anyhow is there away to back up all the settings, VM and docker from machine 1 and restore it to machine 2?

Everything i have found online so far has confused me slightly and also most of everything i can find is a few years old.

Well hopefully you've gotten past where you're reinstalling OMV so frequently.. :)

Yeah I gave up be excessively experimental and just stuck a OMV, Docker and 1 VM and then just leaving them the way they are (if it ain't broke, why mess with it)

Out of curiosity if I was to take out my OMV OS hard drive out of one machine and put it in another machine would it still work fine?

Hi hoppel118 ,

Its the machine it self that is causing the problem, i just installed HAOS on the machine i wanted to get rid of and installed fine.

Now i got to figured out what i haven't checked in the bios of the machine i need a VM of HAOS on (HP 800 G1)

Hey hoppel118

This is how i created the pool folders

First went Storage>Shared Folders then clicked on the plus

Then setup like this

Then clicked on the tick (apply) on the "Pending configuration changes"

Then shared the isos folder in SMB (so i can move the qcow2 file over)

Then in Services > KVM > pools

How do i find the owner of qcow2? and how do i change this?

Sorry just re-read the last bit my OMV is built on a HP Elite 800 G1 so i think that is a x86 cpu

Hey hoppel118 ,

i still get the same error

I am assuming i download the zip for .qcow2 and extract to the the folder on the OMV server

Hey,

Can someone walk me through how i install home assistant on a VM please? first time doing this and I'm not sure what I'm doing at all.

I tried this https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/linux

but i kept getting this

You don't need to reinstal... you can run the install script even on a running OMV install.. it will just download omv-extras and add any repositories it needs... but it's design is to be used on a minimal debian install..

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

As for your static IP problem.. only thing I can figure is you're not adding your DNS servers.

Thank you again for this, moving to a new machine so i thought i would rebuild OMV from scratch.

tell more about usage case and money you wat to spend :>

Hey, Sorry no one replied so i forgot about this post so thank you for replying.

Mainly it will be OMV storage may also install a docker for Nextcloud storage (if there is a easy way of doing it), but also I'm going to making a couple of VM's (Home Assistant, Debian monitoring desktop)

I want to try and keep the costs low so i am only looking at motherboard & CPU at the moment so looking to keep the costs to £150 ($170)

Morning All,

Just looking for some recommendations. I'm looking to build a new OMV server with more cores (I only have Lga 1155 4cores) I'm looking for a cpu with 12 cores (2.5Ghz is min) and motherboard combination. Not fused about the case and the PSU at the moment, but here is the kicker I need to keep it under £100 or $100.

Thabks in advance

I open gnome-terminal (which is the app I'll use to auto SSH).. and usually I set the color palette to be different from my desktop terminal. So, for instance, my desktop terminal (xfce-terminal) is White on Black, while my gnome-terminal, which is to SSH OMV, is set to be Black on White, so it makes it easy to immediately distinguish which machine I'm running the commands on. This way I never accidentally confuse the two (ask me why I decided to do this..lol)

KM0201 sorry going through old post trying to finish what is started, i'm intrigued why did you do that?

I followed what you said but i think i might still be doing it wrong, and reading through my post i think i may have confused everything even more so lets say i have figured out how to automatically open 3 terminal windows upon log in

terminal 1

i want to run "watch sensors"

terminal 2

i want it to ssh into 123.123.12.1 (i have set up ssh keyless entry)

and then run "watch sensors"

terminal3

same as terminal 3 only different IP

i did what you suggested about edit/preferences and then run command, but that appeared to copy the command into all terminal windows.

Ah. Your router won't show your OMV ip address on the dhcp page since it is using a static ip address. And VNC is connecting to the VM because you are connecting to the vnc server running on the OMV system just for that VM. Your vnc client is not directly connecting to the VM. The VM has to be running and trying to get its own ip address (dhcp works).

Ah ok, that makes more sense now, So current with this set up i can only access the VM when im at home. If i installed RealVNC on the VM itself would everything work normally or will it just mess things up?

Strange. The guest is reporting it has the same IP and is using dhcp?

Yeah im still confused, so finished the install of Debian on the VM. Went to go change the IP and then i found this

So my router has given it address, but then when i try and VNC into that address the IP 192.168.68.93 it comes up with cannot be reached but if i type in the IP of the OMV server it connects to the VM fine? is that normal?

Strange. The guest is reporting it has the same IP and is using dhcp?

Yeah, im confused to say the least (or hungry)

this is the network on my OMV

Went into my routers DCHP page nether the OMV or the VM show up, so i just typed in the IP address for the OMV server in RealVNC and it connected to the VM, i'm wondering if it is because i set a static IP for my OMV server maybe i need to set a static IP for the VM once it is set up?

delete your network adapter in the OMV network tab

DO NOT apply changes

create a bridge with the same network setup as the adapter you just deleted.

apply changes.

Use bridge adapter type and then pick br0 when creating a vm. No network creation in the kvm plugin needed.

Ok just did all that and it worked, but my VM still has the same IP as my OMV server