Posts by STUKguy

Hi ryecoaaron , Thank you so much for this i finnaly have most of this work (couldnt get noVNC to work, but wont use it so not worried) i read somewhere on here that you were trying to write a NOOB guide on how to install, hope you dont mind but here is one i worte.

Prerequisites

• Download the ISO of the OS you want to install, please this ISO in a folder on your OMV server for example mine are placed in a folder call “VM ISO” which in in my documents folder.
    • You will either need to have VNC installed or Spice software https://virt-manager.org/download/ to access your VM (noVNC is also available)

Enabling test repo in OMV

Make sure you have OMV-Extras installed on system, Go to OMV-Extras and toggle testing repo “On”

Then go to Plugins in OMV and search for “KVM”

Tick the box on the left and click on “Install”

Creating a Bridge Network

Click on “KVM” in the OMVwebGUI then go to “Networks” across the top, then click on “Add Macvtap Bridge”. In the name box type “Bridge” and then in the “Network adapter” dropdown select your network adapter (if unsure click on “Cancel” from the left click on “network” under system, then click on “Interfaces” and under “Device” will be the name of your network adapter.

Setting up VM

• In the OMV WebGUI go down to Services and click on “KVM”
    • Click “Add”
    • From the top, type a name for your VM
    • Then in “OS” drop down select the type of OS It is
    • Toggle on or off if you need “UEFI”
    • In “CPUs” type the number of CPU you need
    • In “Memory” type the amount of ram you need
    • Under storage in the “Volume” dropdown select create new disk
    • In “Pool” dropdown click on default
    • In “Name” type the name you want for the storage
    • In “Size” type the amount of storage you need
    • As for “Format” and “Bus” if you need to change them and know what you are doing then change them otherwise just leave them as they are.
    • Under Optical Drive in the “Optical Disk” dropdown the ISO should appear in this list
    • Under network from the “Network” drop down click on bridge
    • Then click on “Save”
    • Your screen should look something like this

• Before starting your VM click on “Networks” from across the top, then click on the “Bridge” network and the click on “State” and then “Start”

• Now go back to “VMs” across the top, then click on you VM and then click on “State” and the Start”
    • Accessing your VM
    • When you have started your VM on the main page it should tell which ports can be used

So for spice it would be

• Spice://your.omv.ip.address:5901
    • your.omv.ip.address:5900

For VNC it would be

So for me the IP address of my OMV in 192.168.0.121

for spice it would be - spice://192.168.0.121:5901

for VNC in would be – 192.168.0.121:5900

Sorry to sound so confusing, I have docker and portainer installed but when I click on the link for noVNC it asks me for a port that's where I get stuck. I don't know how noVNC works.

I'm only using one instance at a time so only using VNC to connect to the VM

Hi,

I did the following step by step so please tell me if something is wrong.

1. OMV > OMV-Extras > Cockpit > Install
    2. Once installed clicked on "Open web"
    3. Entered log in details
    4. Virtual Machines > Network > default > active
    5. Virtual Machines > Create new VM > filled in details as requierd > create
    6. Using the "Console" window installed OS (Ubuntu)

This is were i get stuck i get the IP as 192.168.122.247/24 which is no good to me as my network is set up for IP address such as 192.168.68.xxx

Can someone please explain how i access the VM? using VNC or Remote desktop or something else?

Hey All,

Just out of curitosity i remember TechnoDadLife did a video on installed VB in the OMV using a plugin, has this plugin in been discontinued? i cant find it when i search for the plug. I went into my OMV machines BIOs and made sure Virtulization was on, which it was but still cant find it.

I tried following a guide i found on here which seemed to work but for some reason it would not give me an IP address i could use to access the VB Machine (127.0.0.1 instead of my IP range was 192.168.xx.xx)

Bascially i want to run an experiment using a VB machine with Android OS installed on it.

Any ideas?

Hi greg77 Thank you for your help, Had a power outage the other day but when everything was back up and running VB including the webGUI had deisapeared a long with all traces, so i guess everything is ok now.

Now i just need to find a VB install that will work either via docker or script install.

Thank you again.

Hi greg77 , Thank you. Wish i had never installed this guide. Is there away to get rid of the WebGUI?

from the guide i removed the following referances

Code
    Create configfifle for website "phpvirtualbox-webgui" that runs in NGINX
    [tt]nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/phpvirtualbox-webgui[/tt]
    Create configuration file for "php-fpm"
    [tt]nano /etc/php/7.3/fpm/pool.d/phpvirtualbox-webgui.conf[/tt]
    Activate PHPVirtualbox website
    [tt]sudo ln -s /etc/nginx/sites-available/phpvirtualbox-webgui /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/[/tt]

and then i restarted NGIX but the WebGUI is still there.

KM0201 , its been awhile since i used one too. If i click on the "check" button it doesnt do anything just reloads the page.

Im starting to wonder if there is a fault with this router as well as i tried to flash an Openwrt image as a test and that also got the same error.

Hi,

Im hoping someone can help!! My WiFi router developed a fault and i returned it to a sender and reverted to using a old router i had (ASUS RT-N56UB1) as i am looking to save some money i probably wont be looking to change this router at the moment.

Currently i am on firmware v 3.0.0.4.378_7220 and have beeing trying to upgrade, so went to Asus own home page and found RT-N56U downloaded the firmeware but i keep getting this error

The only differance i can find is that this does not have the "B1" at the end of the model, i have looked a few places but i can not find firmware for a RT-N56UB1 im hoping someone can help.

If not i will have to revert to another old router i have which is a Netgear D6000.