Beiträge von Superblond

KM0201 & ryecoaaron

Thx guys for that quick response & your help, but the thing is:

The system was running for days without any problems and alll of the sudden OMV-extras are missing in the Web-GUI, without any actions or interventions (execpt streaming from my NAS) from me... I mean OMV ist still working 'perfectly', except missing entry in GUI.

I hope I do not sound so penetrating, or demanding...It's really just about the reason, the why.

It's like coming to your car and every week or so a tire just goes flat for no apparent reason...

The right tip of course is: "Then pump it back up!". So you can drive again!", right!?

But the question that bothers me is: Why was the tire flat in the first place?!

I will wait a little longer for an answer that will maybe allow me to analyze this problem, or give me a clue to the cause.

I am of course very grateful for your quick help!

Thx so far

SB

Hi experts!

Im using OMV for over a year now and upgraded to 6.x last week.

Everthing worked after the update and had really not big issues, incl. the plugin "OMV-extras".

Yesterday I checked via Web-GUI (http://192.168.178.7:8081/) and couldn't find the OMV-Extra-menu entry, but everything from the OMV-Extras, like Docker with Plex runnung or Autoshutdown etc. is working fine!

- No errors, everthing is running: movie & music streaming aso. smooth, good performance, reaction of the GUI, SSH, SFTP etc.

- The Login on my Portainer-Frontend is also working, via http://192.168.178.7:9000/#!/auth

I did: Browser-refresh, different Browser. Incognito-Tab, Used my Mobile, Server-reboot, but nothing changed.

I really dont want to re-install, because I think its just a Web-GUI issue, that could be solved by setting a parameter or editing a .config somewhere...!? An I like to understand, what happened here and what exactly caused this problem.

# Output of dpkg -l | grep openm

Any help appreciated!

Thanks a lot

SB

Hello Forum!

I like to share my following experiance...and hope it helps others.

I have always had a lean linux install with 5.x OMV 'on top' and was very satisfied so far.

Now I have decided to upgrade to 6.x, and I first got the error "This system is running a desktop environment! This setup is not supported." even though I don't have any desktop's installed!

Then I found via the u.a command

Code
    dpkg --get-selections

"gnome & desktop" 'parts' (in red) , which I could then delete.

Installtion is now running and I am really curious how it will run & perform....

:!: All the best

SB

Hello E1!

Solved the problem!

In the end it was the rsyslog service, that startet the machine and did that round robin Log file management at 01:00!

Somehiw this Service uses his own cron-type of schedule.

I just turned it of:

Hey JohnStiles!

Thx for your reply & help.

Below the output, that you maybe like to look on!?

I cant find a specific entry.... :-/

Thanks for your help!

SB

systemctl status *timer

grep . /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/wakeup

Code
    root@NAS:~# grep . /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/wakeup
    /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/power/wakeup:disabled
    /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/power/wakeup:disabled
    /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/power/wakeup:disabled
    /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb4/power/wakeup:disabled
    /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb5/power/wakeup:disabled
    /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb6/power/wakeup:disabled
    /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb7/power/wakeup:disabled
    /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb8/power/wakeup:disabled
    root@NAS:~#

Hello Experts!

My OMV-"Standard'-Installation is working perfectly in every way, but I have unintentional boot start.

Every night at 01:00 my OMV performs a wakeup from hibernate and I cant figure out what/which process/program is causing this.

I am running OMV (USUL) 5.6.25-1 on a DEBIAN-10 (Buster) 4.19.0-14-amd64 with Portainer & PLEX running.

I didnt edited / modified any scripts or have other installations running on that server

I checked a bunch of log-files, couldnt find a specific entry=reason

I removed the lan cable, but OMV still starting at 01:00

Is there a default setting in OMV, like in the update management that is schedeuled at 01:00?

Is there a way to find (in log file?) the process that causes the start?

Could it be that DEBIAN itself starting the server, not OMV installation?

My crontab looks like that:

Thanks a lot & sorry for my poor english

SB

Best community!

I am asking for help with the following problem:

I have mounted a disk (/dev/sda) in OMV and it is visible under Storage -> File Systems.

S5wL52d

vstXLbX

LRqVZYd

Lkr6Y5W

Under "Access Right Management" -> "Shared Folders" I have now created "Docs, "Movies", "Music", "Pics"; all are 'Referenced"'and have permissions for 'everyone' under "Privileges".

"DLNA" works, because I can browse through them on my SmartTV.

Same with SMB under Win10: all shared folders visible and accesable.

ZL3Ss07

But now when I look via FTP under folder /export/ I see only one folder "Movies"...!?

9Z5Wqvv

Where are the other folders under FTP?

Am I looking in the wrong tree / folder?

I want to copy the data via FTP from an old NAS into the folders I created.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong!

Thx, regards & Sorry for my poor english

SB

Hello everyone,

I am glad to communicate a solution for the problem, that my OMV-custom NAS didnt go into a suspend or hibernate status, when not used AND couldnt get up running on WOL.

Solution:

I realized the reboot is the result of an not working wake up, beacause of an incomplete hibernation: the image of the hibernation status was not written, so without the last known status, there's no "wake up" possible, just a reboot with "last known good" settings!

Goal: force the a image-write to ram and to hard disk, maybe swap-partition on hibernate ...

and force a load of the image on wake up.

## show disks to potentially write the hibernate image too ##

OK, my swap-partition is sda6 and here I can see the UUID which I need for the next step.

The GRUB setting can be edited quite simply with the "GRUB Customizer", and/or set. I did it in the GUI via a VNC session, Not the best tool, but it works...

Code
    apt-get install grub-customizer

I added the "nomodeset"-cmd to grub-config with the UUID of the swap-partition:

## after editing, the actual writing in in to GRUB ##

Code
    root@NAS:~# update-grub

## written in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg after that ##

## cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg ##

Code
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
    acpi_osi=Linux nomodeset resume=UUID=377438db-9374-40a5-8730-0f5827a131ec

## or open the grub.cfg with an editor ##

Code
    [I]...snip[/I]
    echo    'Linux 4.19.0-13-amd64 loading ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-13-amd64 root=UUID=1748b395-819b-4356-b2ad-0d2b697199a8 ro acpi_osi=Linux [B]nomodeset resume=UUID=377438db-9374-40a5-8730-0f5827a131ec[/B]
    echo    'Initiale Ramdisk loading...'

[I]...snip[/I]

## check: is it a actual setting now ##

## After editing, now force hibernation via CMD ##

Code
    root@NAS:~# systemctl hibernate

Please see attached pictures, I couldn't found the logs to copy from, so I took screenshots ;-D

System closes programs & some services, writes the image to ram and then to disk and then goes into hibernate.

On start the same thing vice versa...

You'll find you last cmd in the shell, open folders & files in GUI resp. VNC aso.!!!

So, this problem is solved (for me) and I it can be set to SOLVED.

I hope this will help someone else

SB

Hello forum!

Although I am a complete n00b when it comes to Linux and OMV, I successfully installed OMV 5.x on (top) of my Debian 10.7 installation with some random hardware & a Atlantic AQC-107 10GBE NIC.

I would like to thank you very much for all the excellent guidance and help I have been able to find here and on YT etc. from dedicated OMV users (!)

But one thing makes my life really hard, namely the configuration of any/some energy saving functions and here specifically putting OMV into a form of hibernate and waking it up again with wake-on-lan (WOL).

The whole Autoshutdown via Plugin is not working, rep. is doing nothing for me and somehow interferes or dependent on the configuration of the Debian kernel, the ACPI settings in the BIOS and in Debian-OS, the nic & network manager settings, settings in countless .conf files, services, boot options etc. aso.

What I am trying to say is: Unfortunately, simply checking the "Auto shutdown" checkbox did work for me and it looks to me, that they're many other users who are not able to configure a satisfying energy saving setup...?!

It took me more then a week to figure out how to bring my NAS-PC into hibernate from the cmd-line, but still not within / out of OMV.

Now I am searching for a way to "integrate' the below solution into my OMV installation, but have no clue where to start...

Goal is to hibernate when no one is streaming or doing a backup anything to the NAS.

This is what I like to share with you...so here's what I did:

Thanks for reading all this & sorry for my poor English.

SB