Beiträge von NsinghP

Here is what worked for me: Faced the same problem accessing OMV shares on windows 11 after upgrading to OMV 7.3.1-1 (Sandworm) I could see the Network Icon for OMV-Server under Network but clicking it would result in"Windows cannot access OMV-Server" error . Here is what worked for me. First pinged the OMV server by name, after confirming that ping was working entered \\OMV-Server\SharedfolderName in network explorer. Windows prompt/popupbox for credentials popped up. Entered the OMV shared folder user name and password. Now I can Just click on the OMV-Server Icon and it takes me to the shared folder without giving the "Windows cannot access OMV-Server" error. Key here is that the shared folder must exist on the OMV-Server and correct username password credentials should be entered otherwise "Windows cannot access OMV-Server" error will happen.

hello, i am a newbie i have a cpu with windows 10 pro 64-bit

with processor : intel (R) Core(TM) i3- 10100f CPU RAM 16Gb

how do i ask for application suggestions for editing with my CPU capacity as i explained

thx before

I am not sure if I understand your question properly. However, if you want to install OMV on your system then the specifications you have mentioned are sufficient to run OMV. Actually OMV should run very well on a system powered by Intel Core i3-10100F and 16Gb of Ram.

This seems to be a bug, but not in the OMV loading screen.

Yes, I think it is a bug, unlrelated to OMV, which shows up in firefox browser when the screen is dimmed while waiting for a response from server on the network. I was able to recreate this crack while waiting for a payment gateway to approve an online transaction on my card. This does not happen on microsoft edge. (It could be just limited to my particular hardware (i.e) monitor etc. )

Edit: Update: I was able to get rid of this annoying crack by resizing the browser window when the crack appeared. Now it does not show up.

Hello, When I login to web interface of OMV there is a brief moment between password verification and Dashboard loading, during this period I see a line/crack coming up from bottom right corner of my screen. Is this part of OMV image or is my screen broken? I am not able to recreate this crack with any other program!

I believe the balance tool continues to work, regardless of disk I/O, until the target "percentage used" rule is satisfied. (By default, it balances within 2%, across all drives.) At that point it stops.

Thereafter, if disk I/O continues, the storage policy is in effect. Depending on the policy, drives may begin to get out of balance again.

beautifully balanced data HDDs (5 HDDs from sdd1 to sdh1, within 2% of each other, after uploading family pictures and videos: (Note1:sdb1 is the data drive for PhotoPrism and not part of MergerFS) (Note2: sda1 and sdc1 are Snapraid parity drives at 1% each.)

Using Putty or Wetty, login as root into SSH shell, and install OMV-Extras by executing this command : wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | bash

EDIT: OR

If not signed in as root, then use following: sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | sudo bash

I can surmise, just by reading this passage, that you haven't actually tried setting up a working server with Webmin. Is it doable? Yes. Will you have the same functionality? No. You see, I tried it. By the time you sort out how to get the same functionality (that's a MASSIVE time investment BTW), you'll be on the command line in many instances. There is no way you're going to get the flexibility with Webmin that you'll have in OMV's GUI and with OMV's plugins.

I am very new to OMV and Linux in general, but I can vouch for what crashtest said! I tried Webmin before dedicating all resources to OMV. Webmin is really not for newbies, it is much easier to setup complex procedures and customizations on OMV than it is on WebMin and I feel Webmin is definitely not meant for home use.

Other then just treating it as extra OS backup what else can I use it for? I was thinking of installing another OS, Say linux mint, or even windows on it! is that a good idea? I am open to any other use suggestions for this drive.

UPDATE: Ok, so it turns out that this drive really isn't a spare drive after all! Recently I started using PhotoPrism plugin and designated the other 128GB SATA SSD as PhotoPrism database drive, I soon realized that after indexing 65K Family Photo and Video files the PhotoPrism database quickly increased in size to occupy 60%+ of 128GB SATA SSD. (Now when I am comfortable enough to mess around with Docker setup I will use the still free 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD as Docker data drive.)

Thanks so much Nsingh just what i was after -will start building at the weekend , one other question whats the fastest easy way to clone my usb pendrive set up to keep spare - copies as images or drives

After my OMV server was operational, I simply shut the server down, unplugged my Root/OS usb pen drive and then used BalenaEtcher on my Windows11 system to clone this pendrive to another identical pendrive. After successfully cloning the pendrive I kept the original pendrive in safe place and used the cloned pendrive to boot my OMV server. This operation took all but 10 minutes, including the physical act of walking over to my windows11 system!

Hi,

did you try the following command?: sudo podman exec -ti photoprism-app photoprism convert

That should do the trick.

Cheers

I was trying to use purge command to get rid of some pictures from the library without any luck, then I came across this post and was able to use the purge command! ( sudo podman exec -ti photoprism-app photoprism purge ) Thanks, Can you point me in the direction of where to find other CLI commands for Photprism plugin?

EDIT/Update: Following command gave me a list of other CLI commands of photoprism: sudo podman exec photoprism-app photoprism help

New - Hi I am new to and looking to install and run OMV 6 from a 32gb usb flash drive - is there a step by step guide please -any help appreciated :) ta :)

Hi,

Roughly here are the steps I followed:

Part A:

1) Download OMV iso, and BalenaEtcher on Windows11 system.

2) Use BlaenaEtcher to make an OMV Install USB pen drive

3) Plugin the "install usb" and "future OS usb" pen drives in the destination OMV system.

4) Install OMV.

5) Remove "Install usb" pen drive from the new system.

6) After Successful Installation to USB/or SDD reboot and Login using default (UserName: admin / Password: openmediavault)

Part B:

1)Using Putty, login as root into SSH shell, and install OMV-Extras by executing this command as root: wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | bash

2) Install plugin openmediavault-flashmemory

3) Change Admin Password

4) EDIT: Generate SSL and SSH Certificates.

5) Secure workbench by forcing SSL.

6) Increase auto logout time to suit your needs

7) Run this command as root through SSH: apt install lm-sensors

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install Plugin - openmediavault-cputemp 6.1.3

Use the forum to find correct line to enter for your specific CPU and then

Create/Edit a new cpu-temp script by entering: sudo nano /usr/sbin/cpu-temp

For the newer Intel chip that I'm using I entered this in new cpu-temp script: sensors coretemp-isa-0000 | grep '0:' | head -n4 | cut -c 16-23

Press ctrl-o to save, and ctrl-x to exit Nano

Change permission of new file: chmod +x /usr/sbin/cpu-temp

Execute new file cpu-temp to make sure it is working: cpu-temp

Now execute the following commands:

omv-env set "OMV_CPU_TEMP_COMMAND" "/usr/sbin/cpu-temp"

omv-env set "OMV_CPU_TEMP_DIVISOR" "0"

omv-salt stage run prepare

omv-mkworkbench all

monit restart omv-engined

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9) Setup widgets on the Dashboard.

10) Install all updates.

11) Setup and mount the Filesystems.

12) Install Snapraid then (Configure Snapraid Array).

13) Install MergerFS then (Merge all data disks).

14) Setup Shared Folders.

15) Setup Samba shares.

16) Install Kernel Plugin and then (activate clonezilla, Gparted and SystemRescue).

17) Enable S.M.A.R.T. monitoring and then (add each drive to monitor).

18) Enable short self test under scheduled tasks.

19) Setup Notifications.

20) Backup or/and clone the ROOT/OS Drive. (Use BalenaEtcher on another system to clone boot usb pendrive).

21) Install other plugins and customize your server as needed.

22) EDIT: Create users and Learn how to use Sudo command. (IMPORTANT) IMMEDIATELY STOP Using ROOT to login over SSH!!!

and Good luck. There are lots of helpful experts on this forum so don't be afraid to ask questions. I am a Newbie and was able to setup a decent server because of help I received in this forum.

Hello,

I was moving 1.5Tb data from Windows10 attached usb HDD to 5Tb mergerfs pool of 5 1TB disks on my SnapRaid OMV server and then I ran out of disk space on one of the drives. I have started MergerFS balance operation and it is taking a long time. My Question is can I resume the interrupted file transfer operation simultaneously from Windows10 system while MergerFS balance is in progress on the OMV server or should I wait for the Balance command to finish what it is doing first?

Thanks,

Navi

EDIT: Balancing Operation took 3 Hours and just finished. Now, I have resumed Network transfer. But, it would be nice to know the answer to above question.

UPDATE: Looks like MergerFS "Load balance" operation can go on regardless of other network activity.

Hello,

I am uploading 1.5Tb of data to my new OMV server on the network. Now I'm getting these emails :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The system monitoring needs your attention.

Host: Myserver-omv

Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2023 18:26:30

Service: Myserver-omv

Event: Resource limit matched

Description: loadavg (5min) of 4.8 matches resource limit [loadavg (5min) > 4.0]

This triggered the monitoring system to: alert

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I be concerned about these alerts?Will my data be safe?

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

No Problem, Hopefully this info will help someone else down the road.

Also, I would like to report success in backing-up to NTFS format USB HDD. All I had to do was first format the USB drive to EXT4 system, then haul it back to Windows11 system, use windows "diskpart" utility on windows CLI terminal to delete the latest EXT4 system I created, then use windows "disk manager utility" to create a new volume. Now it only has one partition and "USB Backup" plug-in sees the drive.

I think the problem is, that there are at least two partitions on that drive.

AFAIK the plugin is expecting only one partition on the drive.

As you suspected there are two partitions on this drive and I tried wiping and reformatting it with NTFS but I still get two partitions Sdj1 and Sdj2. Sdj1 in particular is very irritating with size of 14M and I'm not sure how to get rid of it in windows NTFS formating. So I have wiped the drive and converted it to Ext4 now I can schedule a USB-Backup job.

This is not a bug. In OMV6 the UI does not show existing and mounted file systems anymore that are not permanently under control of OMV. This is by intention to have the same UI experience and behaviour across the whole UI which is that only configurations are displayed and no live data anymore. The dashboard widgets must be used for that instead.

Then how to backup a shared folder from OMV to an external NTFS formatted USB HDD using "USB-Backup"? or do I have to format the external USB HDD to EXT4 file system? I want to avoid that as I want to be able to use this HDD on windows11 system to view files.