Beiträge von joq3

One day I noticed that a lot of my media-files were gone. And when checking the SMART, I can see that one drive has got a red SMART-light. This is the self-test:

TLDR, there is a read failure.

I guess some parts of the disk is unreadable.

When looking on my specific disk in the file browser I can see that there are still files available, and the disk is not empty.

I am using UnionFS, how do I swap this disk out and transfer the files that are good from the bad disk?

Thank you!

Just did a search in the file system, there's no dd.gz or .fsa files. But I got all the files like in the image I posted above. Does this mean I used rsync, dd or fsarchiver. And how do I proceed?

All the guides I find mention the use of .dd.gz or .fsa files?

I just tried this, and I don't have systemrescuecd in my Grub list, only CloneZilla. Is there any way to install systemrescuecd without having access to the Web GUI?

Can you do this via command line directly on the Openmediavault server?

If I'm not mistaken, the default settings in OMV Backup are to use 'dd' to save a (compressed) image of the entire system partition, although fsarchiver is another option.

So chances are that the OP can restore the backup, maybe through Clonezilla (?) or, if all else fails, from a Debian live session booted from a USB stick.

The problem is I don't remember which method I used in the omv-backup. But if I remember correctly it is not a single image, instead it is multiple files and directories. So I guess it is fsarchiver or rsync?

Can I convert this into a compressed image to use with Clonezilla when restoring?

Can I use some kind of live linux on an USB and somehow get the permissions from the backup and restore them on the disk with OMV?

Or is there any easy way to restore OMV from a backup when the OS is broken?

I was not totally awake when I was about to change ownership of a single folder.

I was cd into the folder in question and I ran this:

Code
    sudo chown -R docker:user /

I just used the single slash, which seemed to cover the whole filesystem :( I lost connection to my server, I guess because of a crash.

Is there any hope in restoring this?

I have regular backups done with the OMV 4 Backup plugin. But I have never tried restoring, is it hard to do? How is it done when I cannot reach the NAS?

OpenVPN says "If something goes wrong with the upgrade process of the primary node, we recommend you gather log file information and contact us with our support ticket system"

Is there anything preventing you from going this route?

Nope, I have gone that route too. But I am worried the fixes might break my OMV install.

I have the OMV 4 (Debian 9 Stretch) on my NAS together with OpenVPN AS.

And the thing I think might cause this issue (will confirm with support), is the Python version. And I am worried that updating Python might cause issues with OMV?

Is this true?

Just followed the OpenVPN AS Debian update for Debian 9, the Install via repository. This went well. But now I cannot get OpenVPN AS to run again.

Trying to start it fails.

Code
    Job for openvpnas.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status openvpnas.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

After doing what it says above this is the information I get:

I have tried to search for this issue, but I cannot find anything relevant to this?

Any idea on how to get it up and running?

The forum for OpenVPN is quite dead, I tried to ask there. But no support.

Is it Python 2.7 that is too old?

Not an answer, but a possible workaround.

Buy a cheap low-power GPU card and use that. Or ask around if someone has one to sell/give away. Try to get a silent card without any fans, then you don't get problems with worn out fans and noise. I recommend a NVidia card, then you can easily offload transcoding from the cpu to the gpu. Perhaps GT710 or GT730.

Bought a GT710, how do I offload Plex transcoding to the GPU if necessary?

Normally there should be a BIOS or UEFI option to disable error messages when there is no video card available which should enable a boot without it.

Do you have any idea what that BIOS setting could be named? I have checked all my options, but there is nothing near that. I don't even have any graphics options as the MB has no IGPU.

I have an MSI Z87 motherboard which has no integrated graphics. Which means I have to use a AMD HD5570 to be able to boot. It won't boot without any GPU.

But the issue is that the HD5570 gets hot, about 70C degrees. And this is unecessary power draw on a headless server.

Is it possible to completely disable it from drawing power without unplugging it?

Is this the way to do it?

https://askubuntu.com/a/775056

Any other suggestions?

I am worried my SSD is quickly degrading. I have noticed a few weird things. How do I manage to transfer all my data and settings to a new drive?

Is Clonezilla the way to go? I'm thinking if it is possible to first install OpenMediavault and then transfer the files? So I don't copy the bad sectors?

Or what are your suggestions?

I just bought a Asrock Z77E-ITX motherboard to use for my OMV server. And it works great. But I am having issues when rebooting the computer. It will not boot, and I think it might be related to it not detecting any monitor. Is it required by this motherboard to have a display connected for it to boot at all?

Because last night when looking for what the issue was I plugged in a monitor and it booted fine, and rebooted fine. Then I unplugged it and rebooted, and it would not boot, is just "retried", shut off and started again.

If this is the case. Is there any way to disable the need for a monitor to be able to use this motherboard headless?

I also thought it might be the RAM, but I tried with just one RAM and I got the same result. Also it does work great once it has booted. I had an uptime of 35 days before rebooting, and I had no issues until I rebooted.

Thank you!

So since it is new you don't think it can be bad? What is the harm in checking if it is OK?

If it is bad then you should be able to swap it out using the warranty.

The errors you posted says it is bad. Very bad!

I formated the drive in Windows (normal format) and then ran the GSmartControl application. This is what I find under Error log:

I guess that's a bad drive? Kingstons own SSD check reports no errors. And a Short selftest with GSmartControls returns no errors either.

Yes, of course I only use one drive at a time. I meant that I use the same port and cable as the 80GB which is confirmed working.
    This is a Kingston SSD. Samsung I do not like, because I have had the 840 Evo which has a lot of issues.
    Yes, that is why I am replacing my 80gb SSD, to prevent that happening!