Beiträge von tony359

While I appreciate your time on this, I'm not sure why I am being treated as I'm wasting people's time here. It's a forum, and by definition it's where opinions and views are exchanged. Yes, I appreciate it's OMV's forum but in the end I am trying to set up a backup software with OMV. It's doesn't relate 100% with OMV nor with iDrive but it'd be nice to make it work.

The reason why I am looking to create a Symlink is explained in post 13 RE: iDrive on OMV

If there is something not clear, I apologise. Feel free to elaborate what isn't clear in that post.

Yes, /media was there already, I did not create it.

If you - or anybody else - feel that you cannot/don't want to answer my question, there is no need to tell me why I shouldn't have asked the question, why my question does not belong here or suggest I should look at the documentation (*)

(*) Point at documentation is always good of course. Assuming I didn't do that already might sound a bit harsh. Imagine you've been struggling with something for some time, you ask someone and the answer you get is "here is the manual, go take a look"

Cheers!

I don't know what this is or what it does, sorry. No experience with apple. I also don't imagine how it is related to OMV, so I can't follow the thread of the rest of the explanation.

because it has an "i" in it it doesn't mean it's Apple!

My question is about symlink. I am trying to have a BACKUP online service I have paid for to work with OMV. I feel it's somehow relevant to OMV as iDrive supports many other systems but not OMV directly.

B3rnd

I feel slightly patronising that you're assuming I didn't spend a few minutes googling "how to create a symlink". The reason I am on this forum is that it would not work despite "reading the documentation". Clearly I am making a mistake but "read the documentation" doesn't feel helpful, sorry.

ah ok, apologies.

I have an existing iDrive backup online. It's about 1TB. My previous file system was

/media/(my folders).

I have now migrated to OMV. I ran the iDrive scripts. However since the new FS puts my data under

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/media/(my folders)

iDrive thinks it's a new backup and wants to start from scratch.

So I'd like my data to appear under /media instead. Since /media already exists, I cannot create a symlink of the whole /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/media/ under /media.

So I think I have two options

1. Remove /media and replace it with a symlink (is it safe to do?)

2. Create a symlink for all the folders I need to show under /media.

In my case it could be a symlink for :

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/media/Documents -> /media/Documents

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/media/Music -> /media/Music

etc.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks.

uhm... not sure.

If I am not mistaken I have to create multiple symlinks, I cannot create a symlink called "media" because there is a folder called media already.

So I'll have to symlink all the folders I need into /media. Makes sense. /media already exists and a symlink would replace it, it cannot "add" folders inside it unless it's done manually folder by folder.

Am I correct?

Unless I could remove "media" altogether and just create a symlink in its place? I only see "CDROM" inside /media.

oh amazing! I need /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/ to be seen as /media. Actually, What I am looking for is to have my data INTO media.

So let's say I have a "documents" folder in my storage, I'd need it accessible as /media/documents

I installed the plugin but when I create the symlink I get 500 internal server error - folder already exist: media

I tried with other folders and I get the same error (just the folder name changes).

can someone please help me creating a symlink for my iDrive to work?

I see my data is under /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/ but when I try creating a symlink under /media (my previous location with the ReadyNAS OS) it says "no such file or directory".

I suppose dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/ is not a folder. :)

Any ideas?

I have installed the script I got from iDrive themselves. It worked :)

I really don't know much about docker and portainers and to be fair I just want iDrive to work :) Which is! I just need to explain it that the 1TB backup it found online is matching my file system! :)

Edit: iDrive confirm that I need the files in the same place for the incremental backup to work.

So back to my original question, I believe there is a way in Linux to create an "alias" or a similar thing?

I've finally decided to fiddle with iDrive for Linux - which is 100% text mode, no GUI.

I appreciate this is not iDrive support forum but maybe someone could point me to the right direction.

I've got everything working but on the old system my files were under /media. With OMV they're under /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/media/

The backup script doesn't understand that and rather than update the existing backup it's creating a new one.

I've asked iDrive for help but they're not the best when it comes to support so I'm wondering if it would be possible to "map" the /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-6298ce52-0d66-43a2-9acd-b6a127d20079/media/ folder to /media instead?

I'm a noob when it comes to Linux so apologies if I am saying blasphemies :)

Thanks

Tony

What are the /etc/sudoers file permissions, owner and group. You edited this file, did you use "visodo" for editing?.

Code
    -r--r-----  1 root root     669 Feb 27  2021 sudoers

I didn't edit the file, I CAT it.

I still cannot sudo :)

Root: I must have forgotten the password :) I need to reset it! Am I supposed to be able to SSH using ADMIN?

Here it is!

This is surely a newbie question but I am trying to install iDrive (some scripts to be copied somewhere) and I am logged in SSH. I am trying to SUDO but when I type my password I am told I am not in the sudoers list.

My username is in the root and sudo groups.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Hi all

I haven't been updating my NAS in a while - about 40 days - as I am tackling a potential HW issue which might clear when rebooting so I wanted to leave the NAS in peace for a while to make sure the issue has gone. Yesterday I found the uptime had reset and logs suggest some updates were performed, but I didn't run updates myself.

Were those some sort of critical updates which are executed regardless of what the user says? Is there a way to monitor what happens?

Thanks

Tony