Beiträge von notnormalnerd

So...my plan to test was

Use the Compose Backup to create a backup set of files/folders on a share.

Use Rsync to send that over to the backup share location on another server.

Use the Restore function on Destination Server to restore from the folder and then start up the container.

I fixed the issue of the UUID by using SED so that the vol.list files on the Destination point to /src/UUID_Of_Dest instead of the source server.

I am testing some recovered containers today and I do have a doc on the process if it all works I am happy to send a pdf or markdown.

Q: There is an option to Clear Cache on my Prod server in the Settings for Compose. What exactly is that doing?

OK< so early indications are I have a simple backup plan, so far I have Git Tea running from a backup. I will do more testing at the weekend but if it all works I'll do a video to maybe help with an example.

OK, thanks for your help, but I am confused as the plugin and docs seem to contradict each other.

Here is a screenshot of the Settings for the plugin. The Shared Folder for Compose Files (as per doc) says to use App data (location of compose files) and use Shared Folder Data for Data (location of persistent container data)

But in the docs it says of the Data folder

And the App Data folder is says THAT is the place for persistent data

Do you know where, if I have a Volume that is storing persistent data, is it going to Data or AppData?

notnormalnerd

Note that the procedure outlined by crashtest will work for shared data folders, but will not solve the synchronization of persistent data from containers and docker volumes created by Nextcloud AIO in the docker folder. To synchronize that type of data you must stop docker, as I already said, and then start it again. That's why you would need a script that does that job automatically. Or do it manually.

Hi chente

I really appreciate the response. I did read it over and was trying to see what my next move would be.

Would your backup routine help you recover hardware failure?

The scenario I am planning for is lets say I have OMV-A which is my main server that is every day use. I have OMV-B that is the 'backup'. My idea is that if there was a complete disaster on OMV-A and I had to bet a new server and new hard drives then could I build that OMV-C and Compose from OMV-B onto OMV-C and spin up the containers and have all my data.

Ideally maybe have the ability to spin up the containers on OMV-B whilst OMV-C is being built.

Maybe you have a point, maybe it is a sync I am needing.

In all honestly I rarely use Nextcloud so if it died I wouldn't be too bothered. The one I really would worry about in paperless-ng as that has so many important docs on there.

Hi,

I am planning out my disaster recovery on my home lab. So I have two OMV installs on separate hardware all in house (no offsite considerations needed).

So on my OMV1 this is my main server that has Shares and about 7 Containers using the Compose plugin. I have everything else working for backing up I just need to know a restore plan. I checked the docs and couldn't see anything.

So I have set up a backup under

Services | Compose | Schedule

I manually ran that and it works fine (according to logs) and has created backups locally on OMV1

How do I do a restore on my OMV2 so that I will have all my data as a mock up of a disaster recovery?

I know I can have the 'compose' files on OMV2 so that means I can have all the containers running, but how do I get the Data from OMV1 to OMV2 in a way that I could start up, for example nextcloudAIO, on OMV2 and be able to login and see all my data.

My end goal is that OMV1 is in my basement, well if that floods then I can get to all my stuff on OMV2 which is my backup server.

Both are running the same version of OMV 7.

My compose set up on OMV1 and 2 are exactly how the documentation specifies.

omv7:docker_in_omv [omv-extras.org]

The wiki is about using existing images to build containers via yml files.

Dockerfiles are used for creating docker images from source code and precompiled binary packages.

So you create the image with the build command then check the Images tab and create a container from there?

So it's safe to remove line 6 in the docker-compose.yml

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to use a Dockerfile in the Compose screens.

I am using this docker-compose.yml file

cuttlefish/docker-compose.yml at master · mlandauer/cuttlefish
    Transactional email server with a lovely web interface - mlandauer/cuttlefish
    github.com

On line 6 there is a dockerfile referenced so if I was in a VM and had cloned the repo it would work fine. How do I deal with this in OMV-Extras Compose?

I see there is a DockerFile section but can someone help me get this working?

What I am unsure of is if I put those DockerFiles i nthe Dockerfile section and build it then do I need to edit line 6 of the yml file? What do I put in there if I do?