Posts by Shinobi

Hi,

I would like to join this conversation, because I have a similar question about backup and more importantly, RESTORE :).

As far as I understand, there are different backup ways and please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Option 1: Backup plugin
    Backup: Archive running OMV installation disk with (preferably) fsarchiver onto same shared folder (locally, USB stick or remote mounted share)
    Restore: Starting RescueCD from grub and point to archive file

Option 1: USBbackup plugin
    Backup: Rsync running OMV installation disk onto attached USB device
    Restore: ? not sure how to do it

Option 3: Clonezilla
    Backup: Boot into Clonezilla from grub and clone disk to attached USB storage.
    Restore: Starting Clonezilla from grub and restore the cloned disk

Questions:
    Clonezilla means downtime and manual work, correct?
    Do all options protect against complete disk failure? OMV is installed on a SSD and it has to be replaced physically
    Did I forget or misunderstand any option or procedure?

Hi guys,

sorry to bring up this older topic again, but i really tried the search before asking...

The Clonezilla guide seems to be for OMV 3, right? Is there an updated guide for OMV 4? I understand that Clonezilla is still the best option, but I couldn't find any guide on it.

Thanks!

Wow, thanks for all the tips and feedback. I'm also gonna have a SSD in my NAS for VM's. I guess I could also store the Appdata folder on it. With a daily backup of the folder, I should be good to go. Ideally I'm able to sell my Synology NAS including the 2TB disks, but so far I have no luck... I didn't start buying anything yet, because a few things are still unclear about existing hardware I can use... I will definitely ask for feedback, after I have finalized the things I'm gonna buy...

A regular RAID would always be the easiest option, but I really like the power and noise saving advantage I get from SnapRAID :)

I could be wrong as my experience with Snapraid is pretty limited, but I don't think so. If I'm not mistaken, the parity drive also does not have redundancy... but it's been quite some time since I messed with Snapraid.
    If you're gonna use Snapraid and Unionfs (which I'm really not a huge fan of), I personally like Option 2.. as it gives you an external backup of important data.. but I would nix the idea of using the 8tb for Parity and Data.

Thanks. Yes, if I can't use it as both, I won't need 8TB. Maybe a smaller one 3-4TB... Whats your issue with UnionFS? Any other recommendations?

Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Synology NAS with 4x 2TB WD Red drives and want to switch over to OMV. I will probably keep my existing drives, maybe add another one and I'm trying to figure out, what the best disk configuration might look like. A solution with UnionFS + SnapRAID seems to be the best right now.

Idea 1: 4x 2TB + 1x 8TB drive in my new NAS. The 2TB are all data drives (UnionFS pool), the 8TB is for parity.
    Question: How much of the parity drive could be used for data and would there also be any redundancy, in case the drive fails?

Idea 2: Idea 1: 3x 2TB + 1x 8TB drive in my new NAS. The 2TB are all data drives (UnionFS pool), the 8TB is for parity. One 2TB disk used externally to backup the most important data independently.
    Question: How much of the parity drive could be used for data and would there also be any redundancy, in case the drive fails?

A general question I'm asking myself is: How big is the parity part of a file. Eg a file is 10GB, how much space will it use on the parity disk?

I'm open to all suggestions.

Thank you!

Hi,

I have created an appdata, downloads and media folder. All are shared folders and I also allowed guest access. I can mount them in Windows without a problem, and even create new folder, but I have no rights to delete or edit anything in those folders afterwards. I checked the TDL video and did all the steps, but it still says I need privileges from the Administrator. Could it have to do something with the docker containers running and owning those files?

What could be the problem?

Thanks!

Ok i found the answer. It seems to me, that a not well known feature makes a big difference. You can add Jackett itself as an indexer and Jackett will search on all indexers it has added... It makes sense to have a single search indexer in sonarr and radarr :)

Thanks, I already watched ton of his videos, but it doesn't really answer the question, which one is the "best". I just found out that there is a remote app for transmission, which gives it a huge boost in my list :)

Hi,

I know this comes down to personal preferences, but I wanted to ask around, which downloader you recommend in combination with Sonarr and Radarr. Are there speed differences? Lighweight? Simple GUI? Builtin? Plugin? Docker?

Thanks guys!

Hi,

I'm slowly switching over from my Synoloy NAS, to a DIY NAS with OMV and before that I'm playing around with a few things. Until now I just used SickRage/SickChill on Synology, but now I came across Sonarr and Radarr and Jackett. I got them up and running, but I cannot see the point of Jackett. I can collect different Indexers with it, but then I have to add all those indexers manually one by one again in Sonarr and Radarr anyway.

I guess I'm missing something here...

Also on another note: Deluge or Transmission or something else for Downloader?

Thanks guys!

Yes, thanks. That is also a big part of my use case... Like I said, I'm still in the play around phase and will both give a try. Probably setting up 2-3 OMVs and sync around in my home network :D

how much different are they? Is there internet between them? What bandwidth available and needed both directions?
    Sent from my phone

Yes, there is internet in between. The bandwidth won't be the issue. Maybe I should also mention that I would act like a "master node" and want to share different folders with different other instances. Some might be for multiple instances, some might be only for one instance.

I watched a bit about Synthing and so far I think it could do what I need it to and it seems to have an intuitive interface

I will also take a look at Resilio. Thanks

Hi,

I'm trying to find the easiest way, to sync specific folders between separated OMV installations. The installations are on different networks. Rsync, Nextcloud, Syncthing, other services? My requirements are one-way and two-syncs and done automatically by a fixed schedule or when some file changes are detected.

Before I start implementing anything, I'm trying to do some research...

Thanks for some feedback!

Hi!

I know, I know... installing OMV on a GUI is not recommended, but right now I'm just playing around and would like to do it. I got antiX running on my little device, but since I'm a Linux noob, I'm a bit stuck on how to install OMV.

I guess it's only a few commands to get it up and running, but I hope that someone can tell me which one they are.

Thank you in advance!