Beiträge von amirandola

I have the same problem with latest OMV (5.6) installed in Proxmox.
    I try to upgrade monit with sudo apt install -t buster-backports monit and it install v 5.27.1 but when I reboot the system message of high memory usage (mem usage of 1510590775296.0% matches resource limit [mem usage > 90.0%]) return. If I force to reinstall monit (sudo apt-get --reinstall install monit) message disapper until next reboot. How can I fix definitely?

Thanks in advice

thank you for your time ryecoaaron, i will try by setting up proxmox on a new system drive, to not touch my omv first, try to mount my data drive in mdadm raid 6 and see how it goes, we will see.

Sorry to use this quite old thread, but I think you have the same config Id want.
    I have on old installation of OMV 2 on a HP microserver Gen8 server with Xeon 1220L V2 and 8 GB RAM. System disk is on 128 Gb SSD and I have 3 Data Disk, 2x3TB WD Red in RAID 1 and one 1 TB disk.
    The Raid is a SW RAID inherited by an D'Link NAS with linux OS (it's a normal mdadm), i just plug the disk into server and it works fine.
    Now I want to upgrade the machine and I think to use Proxmox with OMV virtualized. Later I think I'll install other VM (maybe Home Assistant).
    I have some question:
    - Is the system enough to run Proxmox + OMV virtualized whith good performance? And another server OS (like ubuntu server) just with the idea to run docker or small app like transmission indepently?
    - Is it possible to mount my RAID1 data disk on OMV? I see that is possible to "pass" the disk to a VM, but the OMV VM will be capable to "see" the RAID without loss of data? Any other solution (without build a new array)?
    I prefer this solution instead of a classic OMV + docker because I see that most OMV major upgrade requires fresh installation and with VM will be easier to mantain (create a new, temp, VM with new OMV version, configure it) and service like transmission or HA could run in a separate env without OMV link.
    Thanks in advice

I'm running HASSIO

Just a question: Do you run HASSIO or Home Assistant?
    I'm asking because, if i understand, installing via docker (docker run --init -d --name="home-assistant" -e "TZ=America/New_York" -v /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG:/config --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant:stable) install Home Assistant and not HASSIO. HASSIO should be installed using this (curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.…/master/hassio_install.sh). Is it correct? I prefer installing HASSIO but the second way of installation seems to be worst ...

Actually i would disagree. Docker or installing outside of omv, makes it far easier to keep things up to date. You've probably missed the many threads from users complaining the Plex plugin was broken because it has not been updated and was abandoned.

Docker is exceptional if you just give it a chance.

I never use Docker before. Just a (stupid) question about upgrade: is it "safe" to upgrade the container keeping the configuration? To use a program like Transmission (with configuration passed from external) this is not a problem but with a program like HASSIO losing configuration means losing working's hour and hour ...

Regarding Plex, and Emby, you can install them directly in OMV5 without using Docker or plugin. I can give you some steps to begin with.

Without integration of the service in OMV interface? Because it's obvious that you can install a service from cmd (apt-get) and configure it from command line/config file, but the lack of integration make mainteinance more difficult and even the system less "clean" ...

I'm going to upgrade OMV and install HASSIO, so I'm going to be in the same situation.
    Isn't possible to use the DuckDNS plugin (with Let's Encrypt included) and "pass" (manually? cron?) the file from HASSIO to main OMV?
    If I understand, you want to generate the cert with plugin and pass it to HASSIO docker image ... is it ok? But in OMV 5 (the version I'm going to install) Let's Encrypt is only by docker, not by plugin ...

Just a hint, the Gen 8 Microserver can not boot from the USB 3 Ports.
    Only the USB 2 Ports are supported by the BIOS.

I've read something about this but you confirm this lack.
    To avoid problems with USB stick and data written, I think I'll use an unused old 500 GB 2.5 HDD with an external enclosure. I have a 3.0 enclosure but I'll bought a 2.0's one for few money.
    I've also purchased a Xeon 1220L V2 to upgrade CPU, now is very cheap :)

I can not wait Christmas's holyday to install all new stuff (new OMV and Home Assistant)!

maybe late, or maybe still no... of course if you can wait for official release, and release of plugins it's ok (i think it's ok to wait if you still using OMV2)

I'm using OMV2 but I want to install Home Assistant to manage my new domotic stuff.
    And the best way seems to be through Docker. But install Docker require Backport Kernel, that isn't avaiable anymore in the official OMV repo.
    So instead to manually update an old system, I want to reinstall OMV.
    During winter holiday I have some free time to reintall and reconfigure the system ...

For instance docker, plex or emby by default install to /var/lib. And that is by default on the flash memory. And they may quickly use up all available storage on the rootfs with an unavoidable crash as consequence. Similar to a small thermonuclear explosion in some cases, but thankfully no lingering radiation. Your house may burn down and you may get a nice tan. (Not really...)

I already partioned SSD and configured plex, emby (and virtualbox, that is still configured but switched off) to point in data-side of the SSD (to separate large data form OS data).
    I have only to riproduce the same config.

You can watch a full list of plugins available in repos here:

https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers

and choose USUL repos for OMV5 and arrakis for OMV4
    and as Adoby say of course some folders which are used by software must be mounted to some normal drives, not usb flash, but at least SSD (it can be changed after installation in /etc/fstab)

I see that many plugin are still missing, but I think that it's too late to install OMV4 ... If some plugin is still missing in the begin of 2020, I'll wait OMV5 official relaese (if isn't too long) ...
    I don't like to manually change fstab to point some OS dir to SSD (if it's not necessary), because often this is a problem during dist-upgrade. In plugin with large amount of data (docker, transmission, vitualbox ecc ecc) I always find an option to configure a different recipient folder, and I want to use this way ok working (if no problem still remain ...)

Hi,
    I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 with 8 Gb RAM running OMV 2 Stone Burner for years. I planned to upgrade to OMV5 during christmas's holiday with a new fresh installation, temporary removing data disks.
    Now I have OMV installed on SSD in ODD port, booting from an old USB stick installed on internal port but I want to change this config due to difficult and unstandard boot mode. To use the large part of 128Gb SSD as Data Disk (to run VM and Docker in the future) I have used GParted to split into 2 partition.
    To avoid USB boot and installation on different disk, i initially think to activate HW Raid on ODD port (on Bios) to make boot from SSD avaible. With this config I have to manually resize partition yet, and this is not good for future update.
    So I think to change all the config:
    - remove old internal USB stick
    - buy 16 GB USB 3.0 and mount it on rear USB 3.0 port
    - install OMV in the USB
    - install flash memory plugin (Is it still avaible on OMV5?)
    - leave the SSD as data disk, to use with Docker container
    Some question:
    Is it ok? With this config I think that upgrade will be easier (no unstandard boot mode and no losses of SSD Data in new installation ...)
    Is it better to use USB2.0? I've read problems booting from USB3 ...
    Is there performance's problems running on USB3? Is it evident slower than actual config? And on USB2?

Thanks in advice ...

I'm exactly in the same situation. Today I try to install Docker for testing purpose but Kernel Backport isn't avaiable anymore.
    Do you upgrade your Gen8?

1 - I think I'll try with Beta ... Stable seems near so I prefer to use a late Beta than install a new system and then run a dist-upgrade after a month

2 - I don't use SNAP but my raid come directly from an old DLink NAS and it's perfectly recognized by OMV2. I think the same happens in OMV5 (I hope :) )
    For the boot, I think I'll try to configure ODD SSD ad a single RAID disk and avoid the USB boot.

3 - I have 8GB. Onestly, if a direct plugin is avaible, I think I'll prefer it

Ok solved!
    Eth1 was just not configured properly! First I manually configure it using ifconfig, then I make a new bonding device with eth0 and eth1 using web GUI, reboot the server using iLO and now I have a bond0 device with eth0 and eth1!

Quote from amirandola: “
    How can I get eth1 working?

I installed a G8 Microserver for one of my customers. As far i can remember there are different options in the BIOS for the second NIC. Perhaps Debian can not initialize it, when it is shared…

Mhm in my BIOS I find only one option about NIC, and is about Network boot ... Nu usefull option found :(

Hi,
    I have recently install an HP Microserver Gen8 with Celeron G1610T, RAM 8 GB, 120 GB SSD on ODD port and 2x WD RED 3TB SW RAID and I'm very satisfied.
    Everything seems to work well!

The only question is about the network card: I've plugged both the physical connection (and the iLO one too) but, according to the Dashboard, only the first network card is working (eth1 hasn't IP address, and there isn't green or yellow light in the dashboard).
    Eth0 is working at 1000Mbit, so I think that it not "include" the second network card.
    How can I get eth1 working?

Thanks in advice