Beiträge von bvrulez

How far does it get when it doesn't boot? Do you see anything at all? Or does it sail right past your selection of it and into the SSD boot?

Also, there are a huge number of Linux distributions out there and many offer a Live version for CD or USB. Have you considered trying one of those instead?

I am afraid we are circulating in this discussion. The boot just simply skips the stick. Other live versions don't provide SSH.

My server is also UEFI. The whole BIOS/UEFI setup only speaks of UEFI. On my laptop Acer E3-111 I can chose in the BIOS setup between booting in UEFI or BIOS mode.

I cannot chose this in the server BIOS/UEFI setup. But there is a "UEFI Guide" and other stuff which gives the strong impression that it is UEFI.

The laptop is booting in UEFI mode. I had set this when creating the stick and never changed it.

The stick is booting fine on the laptop. The stick is recognised as UEFI on the server when I can set the boot order.

I have no idea why the stick would not boot.

What mechanism are you using to select which disk to boot from? Is it the BIOS boot selector, usually activated by tapping on a certain function key after the machine is powered on?

No, it is the BIOS itself where I can set the order and exit with save. I will also try the boot selector just in case. I also have to check if it boots in UEFI mode.

It means I can chose the USB stick as a boot option. Actually, I can chose two entries: USB Kingston and USB UEFI Kingston. Maybe one is the whole stick and one is the boot partition.

However, putting them before the SSD to boot from does not result in booting from the stick.

My laptop has UEFI enabled. I wonder if my server might be BIOS. Have to check.

Thanks. It is a very old Acer Laptop E3-111. :)

However, this probably means that the installation is hardware-dependent.

So, it would not work to install OMV on this machine and then run it on another one, anyway. This would explain my other error: The created OMV6 image on a USB is working fine on the Acer but does not boot up on the ATX server (but shows in BIOS). Right?

I used the web GUI to start a snapraid check and it was running fine. Then the web GUI lost connection (might be related to my Mac going to sleepmode).

I now see the running process. It takes longer than I expected and I would like to connect to the process to see its output. How to I do it?

Also, I would like to end the process. Probably just kill it. But I don't want to harm snapraid.

The /var/log/snapraid.log says this and does not refer to the (still) running check. Start and finished are related to my new attemps to start a check in the GUI (which did not work).

Code
    [2021-04-18 06:57:23] omv-snapraid-gui: INFO: STATUS - Manually started
    [2021-04-18 06:57:23] omv-snapraid-gui: INFO: STATUS - Finished
    [2021-12-22 09:27:57] omv-snapraid-gui: INFO: CHECK - Manually started
    [2021-12-22 19:33:36] omv-snapraid-gui: INFO: CHECK - Manually started
    [2021-12-22 19:33:37] omv-snapraid-gui: INFO: CHECK - Finished
    [2021-12-22 19:33:50] omv-snapraid-gui: INFO: STATUS - Manually started
    [2021-12-22 19:33:51] omv-snapraid-gui: INFO: STATUS - Finished

Well, it boots alright with the original SSD. If I want to remove it I have to pull the server down from its place up on the shelf and pry it apart because the disk is inside.

My original plan was to put in a USB, boot into it, connect via SSH and then DD the whole SSD. Afterwards I wanted to upgrade the old SSD from OMV 4 to 5. This was weeks ago. I spent several days trying to generate a live USB with a working SSH. And when I finally found on - OVM - I now can not use it on the server.

Before opening up the server I will try OMV5 on a stick. Maybe it has something to do with OMV6.

In OMV you can also configure an email server.

For me it does not make sense to have two servers running at home 24/7 if with one you can do everything. But opinions are like colors, they never end.

My OMV is running seldomly. I use it only as storage for movies, pictures and music backups. I have snapraid with most of the disks internally via SATA, but one disk is externally via Samba from a Raspi. The Raspi is running 24/7 with the disk attached via USB. I only once in a while fire up the OMV to sync snapraid. The files from the USB disk are not synced very efficiently, but it is the best solution for me, having huge storage and backup and 24/7 access at the same time. The synology is only running during the day. I might shut it down some day, but for the moment it is pretty alright. The synology also has some extra business data and is backing it up regulary into a cloud. In former days I also had it running CalDAV, CardDAV, surveillance and other stuff.

3,4,5 had the same web interface. Why did you pick 4?

Personally, I would stop using OMV if that happened. Those web interfaces are like using Windows (yuck).

I picked 4 because I only know 3 and 4 and did not want to say 3. :) I meant in relation to the new one in 6, which I don't like (first impression. the difference is not so big).

I also liked Lubuntu 16 a lot with its very clean optics. Unfortunately, it was changed.

Get rid of him. OMV can replace all the services you have in it. Personally I already got rid of my Synology a few months ago (after many years of using two in a row), but I am still fighting a Qnap from a family member that I help him to remotely maintain. He bought it on my advice years ago, so I have no choice :) Qnap is even less intuitive than Synology.

I reduced the use of my Synology only to an email server. I will never change it, though. It is running fine for ages now.

I will also never sell my iMac. I can still use it with RDP to a virtual server.

Sometimes you can't find what you're looking for.

Glad, I am not the only one!

Also to consider: I am running a very old Synology from 2013 and the GUI is taking very long to load.

And I am running my browser on an old iMac from 2010, so I feel every additional weight the web GUI of OMV brings.

Yes indeed. I could not remember doing this when I installed OMV2 back in the days. :)

You can create the USB-stick on any computer and just plug it into your server. make sure it boots from USB.

I created the USB stick with OMV6 on my laptop (I created the final install, I don't mean the installer!).

It was working fine, I added the omv-extra plugin and some more plugins and changed the password of the web GUI.

All of this while the USB was plugged into my laptop.

I then moved this stick to my server, booted the server up with changes in the BIOS where the stick was shown so that it is first to boot. However, this did not work. I have two entries for the stick: USB and UEFI and I setup both beeing before the SSD with the old OMV4.

However, it is not booting from the stick.

Is there a dependency on the hardware? Can I not move the final installation around to another system?

You must have installed updates because omv-extras does not mark anything dirty. There are many omv updates that mark a module dirty and will require applying changes.

Everything in the output is not related to omv-extras either but it looks fine.

It's really weird. In the first installation I added items to my dashboard. I did not do this for the second installation, but they did appear from the first startup. I use the same IP (first install was on a SSD, second one on a stick). So, I wonder if this was done by the browser somehow.

I encountered another hickup: After installing snapraid plugin, the web GUI did not reload and I had to manually logout/login.

Just one thought: If I plugin my new OMV6 stick into my server and start it up, will I be able to configure everything (disks etc.) and then unplug and use the old OMV4 again? Should be no problem right?

EDIT: Also, I added flashmemory plugin and it is enabled. But it is not running. Should it be running? If so, how can I manage it? There is no entry under systems for flashmemory on the left side of the GUI. I see that it is not running in the dashbord (red entry).

After installing the omv-extra plugin via command-line I have to re-login to the web GUI and then in the GUI there is this banner stating I have to apply the config changes although the omv-extra plugin already is displayed.

EDIT: And then I got a large error (I did not get it with the first installation, but just with the second one).

I think this might be related to the browser cache because I also saw the monitoring stuff I added for the previous installation appearing in the new web GUI.