Appling special permissions to SMB shares

• I would like to give users permission to create folders/files but not modify or delete them. Only windows special permissions has those permissions. But anytime I change the permissions of my shares within windows OMV overwrites the changes. How can I make changes within windows and have the changes save?

On another note, I also can't figure out how to create new permissions for the Users group in windows. I know its a unix group and windows can't search for those but how else do they show up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am pretty sure for this you need the samba server member of a domain controller or ad using acl. As the default setup of samba in omv as standalone server you cannot change the permissions from the Windows client. Hope someone else can clarify this maybe @dethegeek

as the server admin you have to control the permissions in the omv side.

• You could use the sticky bit. The sticky bit would deny the deletion if you're neither the owner, nor in the group of the file. This is where it gets tricky - since according to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093529 #3 the sticky bit is not respected if you're in the owners group, you'd have to force samba to create the sticky bit and also force files to be owned by a user that is explicity not in the users group. Such task can only achieved by manually creating a user via CLI because the GUI will force the user to be in the users group and all files/folders will be owned by the users group.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!