PSA: Windows 10 SMB Update Breaks Browsing Anonymous Shares

• So far I've identified issues caused by the following:

• KB3185614
    • KB3189866

The error you may get is "\\OMV is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated"

Both of them contain an SMBv1 Fix in KB 3185879, which I think might be what's causing the problem.

So far, I've uninstalled those KB's to fix the issue, however there may be another fix - I haven't had too much time to peak around.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't say which version of OMV you are using but I have both updates installed on two Win10 boxes and have no problem browsing anonymous shares.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm seeing this problem after updating my laptop.

I'm seeing this in the samba logs

Code
    Sep 16 15:51:14 openmediavault smbd[4895]:   receive_smb_raw_talloc failed for client 192.168.1.36 read error = NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET.

sorry, using OMV 2.2.7

EDIT: just uninstalled KB3189866 and i can connect again.

EDIT2: reinstalled KB3189866 again for testing and i can't get access to my OMV shares.

EDIT3: OK I can access OMV shares when using its ip address. I only get that error if I navigate through network places on W10.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like a network/cache issue if you can get to the share by ip address.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Something is very off.

I reinstalled Windows 10 on a spare box and then tried to double click the OMV server in my network places or browse by IP address, I got the same error as the OP. It looks like there is no prompt to enter username and password details so it just terminates the connection.

I got it working by doing this.

control panel > user accounts > manage your credentials > windows credentials. add a windows credentials and put in the OMV name (e.g. \\OMV) and put in the username and password of the account i had set up on OMV.

Prior to installing KB3189866 i wouldnt get prompted for creds when i tried to access \\OMV.

I can also see in the CIFS forum that at least 1 other person has the same issue.

• Adding credentials works, but defeats the purpose of a publicly accessible network share. You can actually add any credentials (they don't have to be valid for general network access on guest accessible shares).

I'm using OMV 2.2.7, kernel 3.2.0-4 with all the latest patches and updates installed. I don't think it's an OMV issue, I think the issue is with Windows, I can't browse by IP or Name.

• I found this thread while Googling and decided to sign up to share my experience.

I am not a user of OMV, but I do have a router with DD-WRT installed, and on that I have an SMB share running (anonymous access allowed, i.e. no username/password on the share). I run Windows 10 Insider Preview (on the 'Fast' ring) on my desktop. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I could easily access my share from my desktop, as well as my android tablet. Starting about a couple weeks ago, I couldn't access the share from my desktop, getting the exact same error message presented earlier: "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated". At all times, my share still worked from the android tablet etc as usual.

Following the advice above:

I got it working by doing this.

control panel > user accounts > manage your credentials > windows credentials. add a windows credentials and put in the OMV name (e.g. \\OMV) and put in the username and password of the account i had set up on OMV.

I added the credentials; given the share is anonymous, i.e. has no username/password, I made up a username of 'anonymous' and a password of 'guest'. As soon as I did that, I could access the share as normal.

Given our different computer/network setup, I think there is a definite Windows bug here; I did not make any meaningful changes to my SMB share or network setup before the problem occured, and at all times I could access the share from other devices on the same network (e.g. android tablet). I'm guessing the reason I saw this bug a couple of weeks ago is because I am on the Insider Preview, so I get patches/updates before regular users.

Just wanted to confirm another sighting of the issue, and that the fix above works, even for unauthenticated shares, and that I don't think this is an OMV-specific problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!