Dell T410 with Perc6/i RAID initalization problem

• I was given a Dell T410 server that has a Perc6/i raid card in it. The donor of the machine removed all of the drives from it, so I am starting from scratch on the OS and decided to give OMV a shot. I have a small SSD installed as my OS drive. I installed two 500GB drives as test drives and striped them for the RAID. OMV boots and sees the drive, but when I attempt to initialize the drive it crashes the RAID drive. I chose the EXT4 format for the drive.

I know RAID is a pain in the rear, but this machine uses a backplane RAID solution for the drives, and it only has two available SATA power connectors. I'm not against loosing the RAID card, just now sure how I will power the drives as I want to run a rather large NAS (30+TB).

Any thoughts on making the RAID / backplane work? I've had some classes in the past on Linux, but consider me a newbie on Linux.

Thanks for any help!!!

ATM-PD-SGT
    College Station, TX

Building a Dell T410 Server with OMV 2.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

Use OMV 3.x. It should support that machine better. I have one myself but I don't have the PERC card or backplane though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Use OMV 3.x. It should support that machine better. I have one myself but I don't have the PERC card or backplane though.

Thank you, I will give OMV 3.x a shot. If I may ask, how many drives are you running and how did you get around the power issue by not using the backplane?

ATM-PD-SGT
    College Station, TX

Building a Dell T410 Server with OMV 2.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didnt have the backplane so I had 6 sata powr connectors. I had 10 drives in it and used some silverstone 4 to 1 power splitters.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• included RAID Card only support Disk up 2TB, is a limited of this controller, if still is good for you, my suggest is to comfigure aeach disk in BIOS as a separate RAID 1 DISK , so OMV can see all disk that you have and not a big RAID DIsk.

Once done, you can create a Raid Disk in WebGUI (OMV) and use it.

other options is to use some of the provided pluggings to create a snapRAID or a aufs or simmilar pool of disk.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!