Can't SMART two of three drives

• I have three HDD connected to a Raspberry Pi running OMV 3.0.76 (Erasmus). On the Storage > S.M.A.R.T. > Settings page I have SMART enabled. On the the Storage > S.M.A.R.T. > Devices page I see my three HDDs. One has its "Monitor" switch thingy showing in green. So that one is enabled. The other two have the toggle in gray and they don't respond to my attempts to change them. The drive that has monitoring enabled, and one of the drives where it is not enabled are the same model drives. And I have checked the SMART data on all three drives before I mounted them on this file server, so I know they have SMART capability.

How can I enable S.M.A.R.T. testing/monitoring on all three drives?

• How are the problematic drives connected to the system and is the drive that does work connected differently?

I have an SATA SSD that SMART sees just fine when connected by SATA. But SMART is disabled when it is connected via a SATA to USB adapter.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Could be that the USB adapter part does not support SMART. I have a few of those USB to SATA adapters. Some support SMART, some don't, even though the actual SATA disk does support SMART when connected by SATA.

What is different about the disk that doesn't work when compared to the disks that do work?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you. To be clear, it's one disk that does work, and two that don't.
    All three are connected to this Raspberry Pi via USB.
    The one that does offer SMART is the same model as one of the other two drives that doesn't work.
    All three drives so have SMART capability, I've used it previous to mounting them to OMV.
    The one that does work is mounted under /media
    The other two are mounted under /src (for some reason, that's where they mounted. Go figure.)

So the only thing I can see that distinguishes the one that continues to offer SMART testing, and the other two, which no longer offer SMART testing, is that the first is mounted under /media.

It baffles science.

• That's weird. Could it be that the USB ports on the machine are different in some way? Have you tried swapping drives among ports?

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!