Is Rsync an appropriate way to handle backup hard drives?

• On my OMV server, I have four hard drives. I access two of these drives directly through the network, and the other two drives I do not. These other two drives are intended to serve as a backup should the drives that I access directly end up failing. I have my server configured to use Rsync to automatically copy new and changed files (and delete files that no longer exist) to the secondary drives every 24 hours. My concern is whether this is an appropriate way to handle automatic backups. For instance, if the primary drive that I use ends up failing and I do not know about it for several days, will Rsync copy any corrupted data to the secondary drives, thus ruining my backup, or will the data on my secondary drives be safe from having that corruption mirrored to it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If is corrupted files rsync will probably copy them. I expect the files to get corrupted to be minimal not the whole disk. If the disk really fails it shouldn't even be available.
    You should be observing smart data for disks. With notifications enable you should get relevant attributes changes on the disk.

• If is corrupted files rsync will probably copy them. I expect the files to get corrupted to be minimal not the whole disk. If the disk really fails it shouldn't even be available.
    You should be observing smart data for disks. With notifications enable you should get relevant attributes changes on the disk.

I do not have SMART set up nor was I aware that notifications were available. I'll get on it right away!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!