• Offizieller Beitrag

Title says it all really......I am trying to move away from MS and now have Mint installed on my laptop, but I have a w7 vm running on omv (for a specific ms software). I boot omv from a flash drive which every month I would clone to another identical flash drive using win32diskimager which works!! I then boot omv from the cloned usb just to ensure it works, then I use that for a month and so repeat the cycle.

Now I know about clonezilla and creating a live cd, I am also aware that this 'could be' done using dd, however research has also suggested that dd may not be a complete solution which seems confusing. I could install win32diskimager on the wife's W10, but I would rather stay clear of swmbo's laptop....it keeps the peace :)

Does anyone use dd to clone a flash drive? what I don't want to do is to use it then find it goes pear shaped and I have to use w10 anyway.

• I don't use that, but maybe this can do it for you too. https://rufus.akeo.ie I'm not sure but it's also a windows program which is what I use when I need a bootable usb stick. I like it since it has worked fine for me so far. Wow, you actually go through that copying every month? :) Also, you should check out ubuntu mate. I think I tried using mint a while back but wasn't too crazy about it. Ubuntu mate just has the classic look of what ubuntu used to be at the beginning which I prefer myself. I just thought I mention it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use that, but maybe this can do it for you too. rufus.akeo.ie

I know about Rufus, I've got Etcher installed on Mint which can also be used on MS....but the great thing about win32diskimager is it will read/create an image to disk which can be written to another flash drive.

Wow, you actually go through that copying every month?

Yep....it means I get an even WAT on both flash drives and I have a backup, even if it is a month old.

I think I tried using mint a while back but wasn't too crazy about it.

I've been using now for quite a few years, I used to run 2 laptops one with ms and the other with mint and used synergy between the two....now I have 1 laptop + a monitor and omv that runs everything else.

• I never heard of synergy, is that like a virtual kvm switch? I'm waiting for some small adapters to try my old vga kvm again on the new monitor with hdmi. If it works I can plug my xen which is under my desk, me desktop next to the monitor and the small back up nano on the wall for when nothing is working, it's not the fastest but works for a backup if I need to get to the web. The new kvm's are too expensive and from reading about them with hdmi, many of them don't seem to work too well so I figured I just test my old one first and see how that goes. I still have 20/20 and I can't tell the difference between vga and hdmi on the screen. LOL I just hope it works since the plugs are ps/2 on it, but I am waiting for some vga to hdmi adapters and some ps/2 to usb. My new boards have one ps/2 plug so I may be able to get by with just one single adapter for the mouse. I am being optimistic though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I never heard of synergy, is that like a virtual kvm switch

Yes here's the link it used to be free, but to be honest the one off basic price was enough, I would install that on my W10 and have that as the server, on linux just install the one with the distro, then I set up an application startup on Mint and added the ip address of the W10 machine.

So Mint would run synergyc <ip address of synergy server> the only problem I found I had to install a couple of extra keyboard layouts on Mint to get the correct keyboard layout from the server machine............but it works, saves using the hardware option.

• Got it. Well I have the hardware in my case so I figured it's worth a try. I think it may work, but I can't say for sure until I try it. I may not need to plug in three computers so I may end up using the two port vga kvm I have, but I'm not sure if it's still working since I wasn't getting any video but then again I didn't get any video with the computer plugged in straight to the monitor so I may not have to take my 2 port kvm out just yet. I just like my old 4 port better. The two port is kind of finicky but if it works I'll be happy. Then again it could have just been my old computer telling me to let it die already. :)

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!