Packages cannot be authenticated

• Hello,

When using the update function I get "WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!" followed by a list of packages from the Debian repository. The updater proceeds to instal these packages anyway - is there a way to ensure the packages are authenticated? More importantly, how can I fix the error in the mean time?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which packages could not be authenticated?

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.5

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Which packages could not be authenticated?

Here's apt's history.log for today's unauthenticated upgrades (topic was posted in August):

Zitat von "/var/log/apt/history.log"

Start-Date: 2012-12-13 12:12:44
    Commandline: apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::=--force-confnew install perl -modules perl libperl5.10 perl-base
    Upgrade: perl:amd64 (5.10.1-17squeeze3, 5.10.1-17squeeze4), perl-base:amd64 (5.1 0.1-17squeeze3, 5.10.1-17squeeze4), perl-modules:amd64 (5.10.1-17squeeze3, 5.10. 1-17squeeze4), libperl5.10:amd64 (5.10.1-17squeeze3, 5.10.1-17squeeze4)
    End-Date: 2012-12-13 12:14:02

It seems OMV goes out if it's way to allow unauthenticated packages. Isn't that a security risk?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Volker can speak better of this but I don't think those packages are unauthenticated. The flag is there but I think it is for the OMV packages which probably don't have a signed repository. I see very minimal security risk if you only use the OMV provided packages.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.5

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Volker can speak better of this but I don't think those packages are unauthenticated. The flag is there but I think it is for the OMV packages which probably don't have a signed repository. I see very minimal security risk if you only use the OMV provided packages.

The message was shown in the "update manager" via the web interface - I unfortunately can't get that message back. I believe the packages from OMV are signed, but can't remember at this time how to verify them.

Unauthenticated packages can be a big risk - what if the server's Debian package mirror is compromised? Package signing ensures that the packages a mirror (or even the main repository) delivers are the intended ones from the team.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I understand there is a risk. Source code could be compromised and a signed package created as well. Only the OMV packages come from non-Debian servers. The Debian packages should all be signed. Not sure what other packages aren't if the OMV packages are signed. I guess it is a risk you have to take if you want to use OMV.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I understand there is a risk. Source code could be compromised and a signed package created as well. Only the OMV packages come from non-Debian servers. The Debian packages should all be signed. Not sure what other packages aren't if the OMV packages are signed. I guess it is a risk you have to take if you want to use OMV.

Yep - It's just a suggestion that it should be changed for the security of the project's users. Source code could indeed have a back door put through it; but with today's version control and what not it's far less likely. Signing something with the team's signing key is far harder than compromising a random mirror server out there

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I guess we would need to hear from Volker on why it is that way.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just updated one system from the web interface. All perl packages from Debian's servers. It said the packages could not be authenticated. I updated another system from the command line. Same four perl packages and I didn't get the authentication message. Maybe the web interface can easily be changed to authenticate the packages just by changing the update command???

• Offizieller Beitrag

Problem still exists, but i did not know how to fix it nor where the problem comes from. The keys are available, the Release.gpg file is downloaded and in /var/lib/apt/lists.

Code
    # apt-get update
    Hit http://packages.openmediavault.org sardaukar Release.gpg                       
    Hit http://packages.openmediavault.org sardaukar Release
    Hit http://ftp.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg   

Keyring packages are installed:

Code
    # dpkg -l | grep keyring
    ii  debian-archive-keyring              2010.08.28+squeeze1          GnuPG archive keys of the Debian archive
    ii  openmediavault-keyring              0.2                          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

The files:

Code
    # ls -alh /usr/share/keyrings/
    total 40K
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Jan 25  2013 .
    drwxr-xr-x 84 root root 4.0K May  5  2012 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  17K Jul 21  2012 debian-archive-keyring.gpg
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 7.4K Jul 21  2012 debian-archive-removed-keys.gpg
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1.8K Jan 25  2013 openmediavault-keyring.gpg

But the warning message 'WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!' still occurs. Does anyone have an idea where to start searching?

The strange think is that the problem also affects packages coming from Debian, thus it seems not to be a problem of the OMV package repository in general.

• Volker, no offense, but did you miss to sign the latest packages for .4 (and .5)?

I saw it the first time on the latest update so I thought you forgot to sign it. I can not tell that i ever saw it on packages from the debian repository.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The packages should be signed automatically by reprepro which is used to create the package repository. As already mentioned, packages coming from the official Debian repository are also declared as not authenticated, thus i assume the problem does not come from the OMV package repository. As you can see, the Debian keys are also installed on the system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I install the clamav package from the web interface, I get the warnings but not from the command line using apt-get. Is it the --allow-unauthenticated flag?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

When I install the clamav package from the web interface, I get the warnings but not from the command line using apt-get. Is it the --allow-unauthenticated flag?

It seems the problem only occurs when packages are updated. When installing new packages the warning message id not appear. The --allow-unathenticated option only tells APT to install not authenticated packages:

Code
    --allow-unauthenticated
    Ignore if packages can't be authenticated and don't prompt about it. This is useful for tools like pbuilder. Configuration Item: APT::Get::AllowUnauthenticated.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I just verified that on a fresh install. When I did apt-get dist-upgrade, I didn't get the warning. When I did apt-get --allow-unauthenticated dist-upgrade, I did get the warning.

• I quickly checked on my Wheezy Server:

Seems to be that it is fixed under wheezy so maybe no need for fixing, if fixed with wheezy.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!