Installing OMV on USB DOM drive

• Hello there,

I'm running a OMV for about a year now and I am quiet happy with it.
    But recently I'm running out of SATA ports.
    So I was thinking of installing OMV on a USB DOM (disc on module) instead of a HDD, so I would have an additional SATA port.
    I've read you shouldn't use USB thumb drives for OMV because they would die pretty fast, due to the amount of write and reads.
    Does this also apply to USB DOM drives?

If not, can anyone tell me what DOM I should get (was thinking about 8gigs).
    I was thinking of one of those from Super Talent
    Thanky you...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not that familiar with DOM's.. but I thought they were very similar to USB flash drives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_on_module

Zitat

A disk on module (DOM) is a flash drive with either 40/44 pins IDE/Standard ATA Interface USB or SATA Interface to be used as a computer hard disk drive (HDD). The flash-to-IDE converter simulates a harddisk, and therefore the modules can be used without additional software or drivers.

Given the first sentence in that quote, I would say a DOM will not work(for very long anyway).

Any chance you get get a 2.5in USB drive, install OMV, and boot the USB drive? Or since you have a free IDE port on your motherboard, a 2.5 IDE drive.. and then just get a case adapter to mount the 2.5in drive in your case (assuming it doesn't currently have a 2.5in bay). If you're here in the US, I was just looking on Ebay and Newegg, and they have 80gig 3.5in drives for $15... that is plenty of space for a "OS" drive.

• I included the data sheet of the DOM, I would use, in my first post.
    They are built for industrial use - don't know, if this might help.

Otherwise I might try to use a 2,5" SSD with a SATA to USB converter.
    Does anyone know, if TRIM works via USB?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Chwarg"

In that case I might try to use a 2,5" SSD with a SATA to USB converter in there.
    Does anyone know, if TRIM works via USB?

That could work as well.... As for TRIM.. not sure. That could make it a deal breaker.

What about a 2.5in SATA drive (platter drive). These can also be had cheap all day long in the 80-160gig range. You could use a sata to USB converter, no needs to worry about TRIM.

• Been there already - my first OMV had a 2.5" laptop drive in it and this drive died within 3 month, so I wanted a flash memory based drive.
    The Super Talent DOMs I wanted to use use SLC flash (not the MLC, that is used for USB thumb drives) - the same kind of flash that is used on SSDs.
    So in theory there shouldn't be different to SSD drives, right?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Chwarg"

Been there already - my first OMV had a 2.5" laptop drive in it and this drive died within 3 month, so I wanted a flash memory based drive.
    The Super Talent DOMs I wanted to use use SLC flash (not the MLC, that is used for USB thumb drives) - the same kind of flash that is used on SSDs.
    So in theory there shouldn't be different to SSD drives, right?

Probably just bad luck... I've had a 2.5in SATA drive w/ OMV for about a year.

No problems at all.

I'm just not that familiar with DOM's to really give you any serious guidance on that subject. Sounds like you have options though.

• You might want to do a search for "SATA Port Multiplier" There are some which do not need to use a PCI or other slot in the computer, Newegg offers some, (one about $25USD) and I'm sure other places have them as well.

• I ordered a SATA Port Multiplier and I will use the SSD, I have laying around - I guess that's the best sollution.
    Hope the Multiplier works with my mobo...

• Please keep us posted on how it works out for you.

There are some port multipliers like this one http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1099 that do not use a PCI port on the mobo.

• Glad to hear everything is going well!

The port multiplier idea just seemed to be the easiest way to do it. At least in my thinking.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!