New Install of OMV

• Hello

Firstly, can I just say how impressed I am with this project, I love the extensive features of OMV and the performance of OMV against FreeNAS' ZFS on my Microserver N40L within ESXi 5.0 is incredible.

Before I install officially and share the documents across multiple users however, I'd like to say I am the classic newbie with OMV specifically, and would like some advice in order to get my OMV installation working 100% to its ability.

If you wouldn't mind I do have a couple of questions which should set me on the right path to installation, however any pre-advice or guidance in addition to the below would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys :)

Q's:
    EXT4 or XFS?
    I am giving the VM running 4GB of RAM and the CPU on the N40L is only 1.5GHz Dual Core, however I only want to use my NAS for basic Samba sharing across my 2012 AD Domain users (under 3), and FTP backups from my web servers. I like the additional features and tend to want to make use of the plugins such as CLAM and others. I also like the Quota feature for the sake of it! Which file system would best fit my needs? When I set up FreeNAS, feature-rich was my road-path however after experiencing the daily limitations in performance of FreeNAS ZFS, my main requirement is performance now (especially when viewing 1020p Movies across my LAN without any buffering).

Active Directory
    I've followed this tutorial and managed to successfuly set up AD authentication with Samba shares etc. in my test environment, however what are your general thoughts on doing this directly bypassing OMV for configuration? If this ever becomes a core feature of OMV, will this cause me problems down the line? Also, is there anything obvious I need to watch out for with authenticating OMV with AD?

RDM
    With FreeNAS, my storage drives in ESXi 5.0 were VM'd , I'm considering doing RAW device mapping when setting up OMV storage this time, this should increase performance - agree?

Performance
    What should be my expected throughput over my Gigabit LAN between my server and desktop PC over Samba? Is 40MB/s too much to ask for at least?

Thanks again guys - I'm sure any advice at all would be gratefully appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

EXT4 or XFS? Either one will work just fine. I use EXT4 on my N40L.

AD? I don't think it will be supported down the line but I don't think you will have any problems either. Once OMV is based on Debian Wheezy (omv 0.6), samba 4 (has its own AD server) may be a viable option and you can eliminate 2012 :)

RDM? I would think raw would give better performance.

Performance? I don't run OMV as VM on N40L but I have been able to max out a gigabit connection with it. So, 40 MB/s should be very easy to attain.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron

Thanks a lot for the reply! Loving the sound of Samba 4's own AD server? How will that work in regards to features and management? Will it just provide logons? Or profiles, GPO and ACL's?

Would love to ditch 2012, and have a FOG server instead of WDS, and a LAMP instead of IIS! Don't want to max out my N40L with too many intensive VM's though really (and unfortunately working on a budget!)

Is there any more info on this AD server?

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't tried it out myself but from what I have read, it is a complete AD domain controller (info, info2). As for management, supposedly it can be configured with Microsofts own remote administration tools. And while it may not be ready for the corporate world, I would imagine it would work just fine for your setup.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Release date? 0.5 isn't out yet. 0.6 will be based on wheezy which has samba4 package. I doubt that the omv 0.6 web interface will work with samba4 though. You could install wheezy and samba4 in a vm now to try. At least that would allow you to replace 2012. samba4 authenticates against ldap (i think) and you could the ldap on the omv box. That would allow easier omv authentication against the same database.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

On Active Directory questions you may want to private message forum member dethegeek. He is nice guy and very helpful.

If you do get any info about samba4, I would be very interested to hear it :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You created the raid array but didn't let it sync. Then you started formatting it which will severely slow down the syncing. Hate to say it but I would reboot and recreate the raid array. Let it sync first.

• Thanks for the help ryecoaaron, once the initialization completed it also sync'ed up quickly afterwards.

I'm only getting about 20mb/s over FTP copying to OMV on ESXi, and about 13 MB/s over SMB! Do you have any ideas what could be causing this?

I have a Gigabit LAN and can copy to another Windows Server VM on the same box at 50MB/s!

Thanks in advance for any guidance :)

• Open a putty session to OMV and girve results of:

ethtool eth0 (or use whatever adapter your OMV is using)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k () aus folgendem Grund: Typo "ehttool" ;)

• I would've waited with this till I know whats the problem of the slow speed is... :D

But if you have time ^^

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• True, I was getting a similar speed with FreeNAS (a little better though), and that was justified due to the ZFS filesystem which works rubbish in a 4GB VM on the N40L! My backed up data was on a 6 month old 1.5TB HDD that yesterday morning it started suffering SMART errors so I had to get all my data off it ASAP!

I will let you know the results of the command when it's finished copying my data :)

• Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply, my Windows server VM transfers SMB data at 50mb/s and that's on the same ESXi install as OMV so I'm not sure if this is a networking issue, but results below:

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

• Would you mind testing the writing speed on your OMV Data disk?

Code
    cd /media/UUIDOFYOURDATADRIVE/
    dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=1MB count=30720
    dd if=tempfile of=/dev/zero bs=1MB count=30720
    rm tempfile

First command changes to your data drive, you need to replace the UUID!
    Second command writes 30GB to your data drive, the third reads that 30gb again.
    The fourth commands removes the tempfile.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!