Could not resolve httpredir.debian.org

• So your DNS resolution is not working. You might try dig google.com to get an idea why.
    But IIRC you're the one with a totally messed up Pi-Hole installation (this is a DNS server BTW) so everything as expected.

OH no this is on another installation Cannot access web gui on new OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img install
    Testing fresh install not working because of no GUI. I can get it going with OMV-firstaid according to the other tread. I just burned a new sd, got exactly the same result no gui, can get it with option 2 and 10 but yes the network is messed up, not because of pihole since nothing is on it, just something not right as far I can tell in the PI images.
    I looked at the option 1 In first aid but this the same name enxb782eb9ffc29on the second burn so did not touch it since the first try did not do anything.

• OH no this is on another installation Cannot access web gui on new OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img install

Your DNS resolution is not working which will result in the RPi OMV image not being able to finish installation so everything as expected. Fix your DNS problem and you're done!

something not right as far I can tell in the PI images

BS. We should really drop RPi support since this crappy platform is way too annoying.

Why the hell do you care about interface names? Just make sure your local network works, burn the image as outlined in the readme.txt at download location, connect Ethernet and power, wait until reboot, done.

This image is downloaded over 2000 times per week and it simply works: https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/

But only as long as the requirements are met and that's working INTERNET ACCESS to update packages on 1st boot. After the following reboot it will work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/---/ We should really drop RPi support /---/

I wholeheartedly agree and have said the same thing, for the reasons outlined in this post.

Of course, in dropping support for the R-PI, a few inconvenient facts would have to be, shall we say, "overlooked".

For example the R-PI, by itself, is roughly 3 times more popular than all other supported SBC's combined (approximately 18 separate models). And it should be noted that R-PI users may be very close to being 1/3 of the entire OMV user base.

Regardless and despite the numbers, if you're involved, it's obvious that R-PI users are not going to be treated with a modicum of decency or respect. You've even went so far as to put a message about R-PI's "being slow", and an external link, in the OMV4 / R-PI image motd. (This guarantee's that your opinion of the R-PI will be known to R-PI users, EVERY TIME they log in with SSH. )

So why talk about it anymore? - stating the same old thing over, and over, and over, and over, for years without end.

Do away with R-PI support and be done with it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Keep the RPI image and users but create a special RPi-FAQ for them. Politely refer to that FAQ when they ask RPi questions on the forum. In the FAQ the problems with RPI in regards to use as a NAS can be described in detail. And generic alternatives suggested. (An SBC with SATA(/USB3?) and GbE?) Expand the FAQ as needed.

As I understand it a connection to Internet is necessary during the install. But if there is no connection an unattended or headless install is still finished, perhaps with a borked OMV install. And there is very little to indicate that there is a problem unless you read the logs and understand them.

Perhaps the install should fail so that the GUI just displays "Install failed, please only install while attached to a network with a working DHCP server and a working gateway to the internet." And a similar login message if you SSH in.

Preferrably leaving the SD-card in a state that can be used to reinstall successfully if tried again with a working connection to the internet.

An alternative is that the install finish with a fully working install but with nags in the GUI and shell about an update is needed using a working connection to the internet.

• Please keep in mind what I've written above:

This image is downloaded over 2000 times per week and it simply works: https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/

How many of these users have an issue? Those that don't RTFM or have a broken network somehow like in this case...

Preferrably leaving the SD-card in a state that can be used to reinstall successfully if tried again with a working connection to the internet

That's exactly how it's designed: There's a service that runs on 1st boot and tries to finish the installation. If this does not work, it simply exits and tries it the again at next boot and so on: https://github.com/ThomasKaise…tomize-image.sh#L151-L152

In this specific case where a user has broken network (no DNS resolution for whatever reasons -- he doesn't provide output to be able to help him) obviously this will never work.

In case you want to improve something feel free to overtake this crappy platform. It's the most lousy hardware possible OMV can run on and it takes the most time and efforts since this platform is the one with most hardware issues (underpowering and USB troubles) and also runs 2 separate operating systems. The closed source Thread X at the heart of every RPi and the guest OS running on the guest processors: In OMV's case a Debian Linux.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Keep the RPI image and users but create a special RPi-FAQ for them. Politely refer to that FAQ when they ask RPi questions on the forum.

That's a good idea, especially your reference to "polite", but you'd have to have been part of the forum for years to see just a sample of the heinous interactions with R-PI users and others. (While much of the nonsense is focused on the R-PI, it's certainly not limited to it.) I could, quite literally, fill 3 forum pages with references to interactions that are way "over the top" and "sophmoric" in nature.

And I'll give you a prime example direct from this thread: Why say "RTFM" when it's easy enough to just say RTM?

Just because a user has an R-PI and doesn't know Linux, in general, is not a reason to throw decorum out the window. If advice is given and ignored, that's not a trigger to act out. It's simple enough to stop responding.

What is obvious, at least from my point of view, is that support for the R-PI will likely end at OMV4 with the current image. Given the base that's required, I'll acknowledge there are real issues with creating and maintaining an R-PI image. It's a serious challenge. But after listening to same broken record for years, it's equally obvious that there's just no interest. (That is also, right here, for all to see.)

So, rather than endlessly belabor the issue, let's be done with it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!