Installing OMV on HP MicroServer Gen8

• Has anyone tried installing OMV on an HP MicroServer Gen8? I have just tried install OMV 0.5.0.24 and the install fails to find the LAN card.

The card is an HP 332i which is a Broadcom BCM5720 chip.

Thanks

Mike

• Offizieller Beitrag

The 3.2 backports kernel may have a driver for it. Just install minimal debian squeeze from this image and then install OMV.

Code
    1 - echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public fedaykin main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    2 - apt-get update
    3 - apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    4 - apt-get update
    5 - apt-get install openmediavault
    6 - omv-initsystem

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

The 3.2 backports kernel may have a driver for it. Just install minimal debian squeeze from this image and then install OMV.

Code
    1 - echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public fedaykin main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    2 - apt-get update
    3 - apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    4 - apt-get update
    5 - apt-get install openmediavault
    6 - omv-initsystem

Will this method work with OMV installation on HP Mediasmart server? (HP470) The netcard is an SIS191.

• Do you mean "[url=http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mediasmart-ex475-hack,2171.html]HP EX470[/url]"??

This guy is - sorry to say that - "old". ;) Just load the ISO of OMV and give it a try. Of course: Backup all your data, disconnect data-HDDs and do it.

Background:
    The HP MicroServer Gen8 is "new". And OMV 0.5 is based on Debian 6 (Release: 02/2011). So very new hardware could be a problem (in this case: NIC). And when OMV 0.6 will released, the Gen8 will be supported out of the box to, I guess. OMV 0.6 will be based on Debian 7 (Released 05/2013). The described installation is using a backported [1] Kernel (3.2.x instead of 2.6.x) for better hardware-support.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backporting

• Offizieller Beitrag

I used a 5.25 to 3.5 converter in mine.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is room for a drive under the dvd drive. I can't remember if there holes for a 3.5 or not

• Hi,
    I have just ordered a HP MicroServer Gen8 and plan to install OMV.
    Till I receive my new toy, I prepare myself reading the docs. I have seen that there is a MicroSD-Slot for the use of a "HP Flash Media Kit" (see more at http://h18000.www1.hp.com/prod…cs/13971_na/13971_na.html). It seems to be a ordinary MicroSD-Card with an extraordinary price (e.g.32g @ 175€). I know, a lot of people state not to use a flash media as a system device (http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1673).
    However, does somebody use such a MicroSD-Card?
    Greetings
    Helmut

HW: HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 (Xeon E3-1220l v2, 8GB ECC, System: 40GB SSD, Data: 4x4TB WD Red)
    OS: OMV 2.1.18 (Stone burner on Debian Wheezy) with kernel 3.16 (still waiting for support of BTRFS)

• Only for my raspberry pi which runs xbmc which is based on debian wheezy. already toasted one sd card and one usb stick.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It may have wear-leveling which *might* make it ok for OMV but I would risk it at that price.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, it is soldered.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like the Gen8 is a little different than the N40L/N54L. It uses an intel cpu and it might be socketed according to reviews on Newegg.

• I want to buy a device like this but they are always doing something to turn me off. In this new one 2 ports SATA II and 2 ports SATA III. WTH! Why? Saw some pics and it has passive heatsink. Didn't find any pics with heatsink off. So don't know if it's soldered or not. But why would you solder a cpu on a server?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Downloaded the service manual and there are instructions for removing the cpu. Plus, there are part numbers for different cpus. The G2020T processor is socket 1155.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!