Fastest way to transfer from HDD to HDD in the same machine

• I have a 3tb drive that is full. Just a single drive no raid or anything. When I picked up my wd red drives they didn't make the 4tb.

So I picked up a 4tb and plan on moving everything to that for now. Then come tax time pick up a couple more and run raid.

I have it mounted and s share created on the 4tb drive. I was using windows and wanna copy everything from the 3 to 4 and its moving at 2MB/s There has to be a faster way. Hell transfering over wifi to my comp from the server goes at 4MB/s

• Offizieller Beitrag

Use rsync on the command. Find the mount point of each drive.

df -h will show you how space is left on each drive. That will let you figure out which drive is mounted where.

Then as root:

rsync -avr /media/uuid_old_drive/* /media/uuid_new_drive/

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That isn't good. You could use clonezilla to clone the drives. You just would need to leave the old drive unplugged until you wiped it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• seemed to have the rebooting fixed The ribbon cable from my ide hard drive (system drive) to the motherboard was pinched. and the one power connector wasn't fully seated. Who know's which casued the issue but all seems well now. Thanks for your help.

Is having an IDE system drive slowing it down at all?

• Not obviously. As the OS shouldn't do that much multiple operations it shouldn't slow down that much.
    So if you don't feel any downsides yourself, you're probably just fine to use it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!