USB WiFi Adapter

• Hi all,

I have my OMV server in my conservatory and my PC upstairs. Currently its connected via homeplugs but these give me terrible speeds as i have terrible wiring in my house. Running a true CAT5e network isnt an option at the moment so i was wondering if OMV supoprts WiFi USB adapters? More specifically this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Lin…eywords=TP-Link+TL-WN823N

It would give me at least better speeds than my homeplugs which are only giving me 2mb/s at the most.

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would get another router that can handle dd-wrt and run it as a wireless bridge or extender. It would be easier :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since OMV is Debian Squeeze and the web interface doesn't support configuration of the wifi device, just google for a tutorial for Debian Squeeze for that wifi adapter.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Well, a Wifi expander would work 100% and mostly out of the Box. I would chose that way.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

Well, a Wifi expander would work 100% and mostly out of the Box. I would chose that way.

That is what I recommended first but he says he doesn't have another outlet. I guess power strips are rare :lol:

• A problem which is just a missing power strip/socket, is no problem for me.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• It is for me when living with parents :)

Why would a wifi extender solve my problem as the WiFi adapter wouldnt work with OMV without going into the CLI?

WiFi strenght isnt the issue, its the wired speed thats my issue, hence why i wondered if a WiFi adapter would work with OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A wifi extender connects to your wireless router and provides an ethernet port to the system. So, no drivers involved as the system thinks it is plugged directly into the switch/router.

• So whats the problem with adding one of these, when living with your parents? : https://www.google.com/search?…0CCsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=812

The Wifi adapter is not supported via the GUI. The Wifi bridge instead would be, the reason aaron explained to you.

Greetings
    David

• Apologies i was thinking about the answer after i posted and it clicked in my head what you guys where trying to get over to me. :oops:

In theory its a good idea and could work, i'll see if work has one that i can loan to test before buying one :)

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!