Problem with USB boot

• Hi,

Could use some help here since I am trying to install 0.5 but I have a very strange problem where I can't boot from the usb.
    I get a blank screen and nothing happens.
    I tried the usb in my laptop and it boots ok on openmediavault install.
    But when I insert it on my NAS (to be) I get nothing. Looks like the usb is read and then nothing...blank screen.

My mobo is a ASRock AM1B-ITX

I tried the freenas img and it loads fine. But nothing with the openmediavault.

Any ideas?

BTW...I have read a lot in the forum so i tried everything (like disabling serial/parallel ports etc).
    I burned the iso with many different programs and it's time I tried it in my lapto and it boots ok but when put on the NAS nothing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try setting your drives to "IDE" instead of AHCI? That could be one thing.

This board looks like it might be made for Win 8, so it may have that "Secure Boot" feature... is there a way to disable that?

• Hi,

Yes, I also tried with IDE. Secure boot is also disabled by default.
    I played around with all usb ports...nothing...Just in one specific usb port I get this thing where it keeps rebooting (but serial is disabled so can't be it).
    In all other ports I see the usb led flash for a second and then nothing...blank screen

• Try to switch from UEFI to Legacy Boot.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Didn't find any option about Legacy boot :( There is one option for compatibility and I tried with both enabled or not...Same thing

But meanwhile I have been a bit further...What I did is this:
    Removed the SSD (where I want omv) and installed it on laptop. There I installed from the usb.
    Put the ssd back into the NAS and tried to boot.
    First boot I see the screen of the boot and leave it to continue and when it starts again same problem...blank screen...
    I boot again and I choose recovery mode...and there is boot but check disk fails compaining for the time set to the future ???
    I ask repair ...and victorious... !!! omv starts...

But now I have new problems...the system time looks back to february and I can't change it from GUI...I select ntp...nothing...I change it manually
    and I get a "non integer error"....Also graphs are not working again complaining about time...

And unfortunately I can't enable any service so no ssh :(

only thing working so far is disks recognized :)

EDIT: Time is fine now after a few restarts but still no graphs...
    May 4 13:36:24 openmediavault collectd[1572]: rrdtool plugin: rrd_update_r (/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/df/df-lib-init-rw.rrd) failed: /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/df/df-lib-init-rw.rrd: illegal attempt to update using time 1399199707 when last update time is 1399201473 (minimum one second step)

....and still no services can be activated

Any ideas ?

• Hi,

All issues solved here and really impressed bu omv...Installation was a bit of headache for me but it was worth it.

I think my board has some issues with its UEFI. Can't find any other explanation why it was not working booting form USB since I tried almost everything.

At least I proved you can install omv outside of the system itself and then just plugin you OMV HDD/SSD.
    Of course I had these time problems but were fixed automatically by checkdisk during first boot in recovery mode.

Time of the system (affecting graphs) and services also started working after a couple of restarts - always a good option :)

Thank you all !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!