Advice on first venture into NAS

• Hi all,
    I have been wanting to get a NAS for a while now and have been looking at (drooling over !) the Synology DiskStation DS1513+ , but at £620 plus disks it's a bit of a chunk of money for me to splash out in one go.
    So I have just started to think about a shelf build NAS and so far the only thing that I'm certain on is the OS (OMV)

Unfortunately I have a lot of questions to ask ! so here goes ...

First of all: hardware raid or software RAID ? I have always been of the opinion that hardware RAID is the only way to go, but reading some of the posts on here makes me wonder if it is the best way to go.
    What would people recommend ? could someone list the pros and cons for both ?

The setup I am thinking of doing is as follows:

1 Lian-Li PC-Q25B Case
    1 Corsair CP-9020058-UK CXM Builder series 430W Power Supply
    1 Kingston SV300S37A V300 60GB SATA 3 SSD
    1 Asus H81I-Plus s1150 ATX Motherboard
    1 Intel Celeron G1840 2.80GHz Socket 1150 2MB L3 Cache
    1 Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 (2x2GB)
    1 Highpoint RocketRAID RR2720SGL
    2 LSI CBL-SFF8087-SATASB-06M 0.6m
    5 x WD Red 4TB (but will probably get 3 to start with)

The usage/purpose is to replace all of the storage on my main PC and HTPC, I have a SSD already in the HTPC with a 4TB & 2TB HDD, and then my main PC has 2 x WD Velociraptor 150's and 3 other drives of 1Tb 1.5TB & 2 TB.
    I want to move all data from the HTPC and the main PC to a NAS and replace the 2 x WD's Velo's with a SSD.
    So the most important thing to me is going to be data integrity, then speed so probably going to go with either raid 6 or 10

Memory wise is 4Gb enough, I have read somewhere about using as much as possible, but I don't see the reason for this especially if running hardware RAID, I'm guessing they say this if you are using software RAID, but surely if you go to the extremes of 16GB and use that for caching, your going to get a lot of hard faults with the ram and introduce issues ??

And lastly ... just how reliable is the whole thing i.e self build NAS + OMV ? you know the problem with researching these things is that you only really see all the issues being raised in forums.
    This particular build is going to come in a few hundred pounds cheaper than the Synology DS1513+ , which is nice, but I want be able to know that I'm not going to lose my data !! ... I would really like to hear from people that have / are having really good error free results from their self build NAS.

One more lastly ! If what I have spec'd looks wrong to anybody, please chirp in and tell me !!

Many thanks

DamoB

• The only thing I might say is there are some newer nas cases that are hot swappable. You might search amazon for "nas case" before you buy the lian li. It is really nice not to have to take off a side panel to swap a drive.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

The only thing I might say is there are some newer nas cases that are hot swappable. You might search amazon for "nas case" before you buy the lian li. It is really nice not to have to take off a side panel to swap a drive.

That shouldn't be a problem, I've one of this Lian-Li Q25B Case and the side panel is easily removable it has no screws and the access to the hard drives is very easy too.
    The only thing I think it would take in consideration is the RocketRaid controller, I would choose one ServeRaid M1015 or any similar LSI, RocketRaid controllers sometimes give some headaches with linux or unix systems, I've bad experiences with them on Ubuntu and FreeBSD.

• FYI: The highpoint controller isn't providing real hardware raid, it still utilizes your cpu. RAM is enough, more is only needed for ZFS which we do not yet have support for.

See NAS present forum for stability concerns. Especially my own thread for hardware raid.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• OK Thanks for the comments, I will look into the ServerRaid card - so do you all think that proper hardware raid is still the best option ?

As far as cases go, hopefully I won't be needing to hot swap drives that often !! , size was really the main consideration, and also I think you guys over the pond get a better selection than we do here in the UK + your prices are much nicer :cry:

Thanks David .... I will have a good read when home.

Cheers all.

Damob

• Zitat von "Damob9k"

OK Thanks for the comments, I will look into the ServerRaid card - so do you all think that proper hardware raid is still the best option ?

Damob

I've been using in all the systems I build the software raid with success. If you want go with softraid be sure to get a controller that supports HBA mode or that supports been flashed to IT mode.

You can search on the web lots of articles that explains the advantages and disadvantages for software and hardware raid.

• I would say that nearly no one here on the forum would advice you to use Hardware RAID. I use it, but I wouldn't recommend to someone else just like that. Software RAID seems to be just fine from what I see here on the forums but I do not have any experience with it myself.
    By the way, some of us would not even recommend a RAID, as it is only meant for reliability and not data safety. For data safety backup mechanisms are a way better idea, with a RAID you are just saved against 1 (or 2) drive failures, but not against human error, erronous deletions etc. pp.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thanks for the comments again David.

That's interesting that you say most would recommend software over hardware RAID, I have pretty much only ever worked with hardware RAID with servers, but have software RAID on my home PC running RAID 0 with 2 x Velociraptors just for speed ! but all important data is backed up.
    I intend to keep backing up my most important data, but I also feel that with the correct RAID setup and good hardware and reliable software, having a 2 drive failure capacity would make the data pretty safe.
    I'm more concerned about the OS messing up the filesystem, I have read a number of posts about the cheaper NAS units destroying the filesystem for no good reason (Drobo & QNAP have had some serious issues, Drobo especially)

Out of interest .. what do the proprietary NAS units like the Synology use, software or hardware RAID, and how does a DIY build NAS compare performance wise ?

Also, If by the sound of things OMV is setup to work with software RAID, how does it all tie in when using hardware RAID ? i.e would you need to configure the logical volumes via the RAID cards interface and then just manage the shares from OMV, or does OMV have the capability to configure and managed the RAID array from withing it's own interface ?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing before I start spending money !!

Cheers

Damob

• Zitat von "Damob9k"

Thanks for the comments again David.

That's interesting that you say most would recommend software over hardware RAID, I have pretty much only ever worked with hardware RAID with servers, but have software RAID on my home PC running RAID 0 with 2 x Velociraptors just for speed ! but all important data is backed up.
    I intend to keep backing up my most important data, but I also feel that with the correct RAID setup and good hardware and reliable software, having a 2 drive failure capacity would make the data pretty safe.
    I'm more concerned about the OS messing up the filesystem, I have read a number of posts about the cheaper NAS units destroying the filesystem for no good reason (Drobo & QNAP have had some serious issues, Drobo especially)

Out of interest .. what do the proprietary NAS units like the Synology use, software or hardware RAID, and how does a DIY build NAS compare performance wise ?

Software, bad speed compared to other solutions like a DIY (OpenMediaVault) NAS.

Zitat von "Damob9k"

Also, If by the sound of things OMV is setup to work with software RAID, how does it all tie in when using hardware RAID ? i.e would you need to configure the logical volumes via the RAID cards interface

logical volumes? Who needs that anymore... Just create the raid and make one big filesystem.

Zitat von "Damob9k"

and then just manage the shares from OMV, or does OMV have the capability to configure and managed the RAID array from withing it's own interface ?

Yes, just manage the shares via the GUI. The RAID can only be managed via the GUI if its a software RAID, the filesystem however is managed via the WebGUI.

Zitat von "Damob9k"

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing before I start spending money !!

Cheers

Damob

No Problem.

Greetings
    David

• Hi Damob9k,

Other 2 thinkgs that you should consider:

- Hardware Raid cards are usually more expensive than using software Raid or even an HBA card.
    - If you loose one hardware raid card you most probably have to find one similar to get your raid volumes back online and that could cost you money and time looking for the similar card.
    Software raid usually is recoverable even if you loose your motherboard and have to use a different one, also you can get your software raid online if you need to change to another OS with minimal effort.

• WOW thanks Guys (I'm assuming your are all male ! - if not I apologise)

Yet more really useful and interesting information here.

So..

Self build NAS = potentially faster/better than proprietary NAS = big thumbs up !!

SnapRAID = sounds good, but need to read up on it when home (does this replace the more conventional RAID levels and if so what is it's performance like?)

Logical Volumes - I had ideas of creating 2 volumes, 1 encrypted 1 not - but haven't investigated this yet - would that be possible ?

ServeRAID M1015 Controller - Tough to find in UK for not silly prices, also possibly not compatible with SnapRAID (I'm guessing)

RocketRaid RR2720SGL - I am assuming that this would still be better than using mobo raid controller + gives me the ability to run the SSD off the mobo and then still have the possibility of running the max amount of drives the case can hold (7) - as it's not a true hardware RAID card, would OMV be able to configure and manage the RAID from the webGUI ?

More questions !! :roll: I'll run out of them eventually :D

Thanks again.

Damob

• Snapraid doesn't is a live parity like a normal raid. You would also need aufs for pooling. Speed limit is the speed of a single harddrive.

Greetings
    David

• You can saturate gbit link eith a single hard disk. Where do you need anymore speed?

Greetings
    David

• Yes agreed, but I was thinking of using LAG and connecting another media centre to it at a later date, and also there would be occasions where I would be doing read/write operations on my main PC while streaming HD video to my HTPC.

D.

• Unless you tell me you want to use it for iSCSI LUNs for a VMWare ESXi testcenter you're well suited with GBit Link.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've had one hd stream (RPi running OpenELEC streaming bluray rip over samba) and four sd streams (two ipads and two iphones streaming from twonky) on my server at the same time with one gigabit NIC.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OK !! I get your point - I concede I may be over thinking / engineering things a bit. :?

And no I won't be running ESXi, but will be running my VMWare workstation virtual disks from the NAS - hopefully.
    One of the other things that I will be doing which makes me want the fastest transfer speed possible is re-encoding a whole lot of my blu-ray rips and .mkv's - I do this by copying them from my HTPC to my main PC, doing the encoding there as it's much more powerful and then moving the encoded files back to the HTPC, currently getting an average of 35Mb/s which is not maxing out my network at all (Gbit router/switch cat6 infrastructure cabling, and Intel Gbit NICs at both ends) - this is not from my PC RAID btw, I use a Seagate 1.5Tb drive as my scratch drive and WD EZRX in the HTPC, both speed test at well over 240MB/s.

This is the thing, if you take theoretical speeds at face value, then everything seems great, but the reality is that network stack overheads and PCI\PCI-E utilisation stops things from running at those theoretical speeds, so actually you do need to over spec things a bit to get closer to what should be possible - if that makes any sense !!

Going back to a previous question - does anyone know if you can use the RocketRaid RR2720SGL card in conjunction with OMV's RAID configuration tools, and if not is it possible to install the manufacturers linux utill (if one exists) ?

Ta.

Damob

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only way you can use the RocketRaid card in OMV's web interface is by setting the RocketRaid card to individual disks (IT mode on some raid cards) and then use software raid.

As for speed, software raid is still going to be fast enough in most cases. Here is the test on my system which is an LSI SAS9211-8I in IT mode (which I would recommend over the RocketRaid) with 8 Samsung F4 2TB drives in software raid 5 - I even ran the sync command after to show that it wasn't all buffer speed. I encode video a lot of get consistent 105-110 mb/s between my desktop and server.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!