Troubles while building RAID

• Hello there,

I am new to OMV. I play a bit with it as a virtual machine and I really liked it. I want to deploy it on my server, but I have the following problem:
    My server has 1x 250GB disk, on which is OMV installed and 4x 2TB disks, from which I want to build a RAID5. Everything seems to be fine. The disks are visible under "Physical Disks". I did a quick wipe on every one of the 2TB disks. And then I started to build the RAID. Under RAID management I click on "Add", all disks were visible, I checked all of them, named the RAID and clicked OK. I received a message that I have to wait until the sync completes. Everything seems to be fine so far.
    Now comes the problem. I noticed that the sync speed is too slow (~15MB/s) and is falling (slowly but falling). As much the sync speed is falling the more slowly respondes the GUI when I call RAID management. On the other options the response from the GUI is instant, but from the RAID managenemt I have to wait about 10-20 secs. And from a certain point of time further the RAID management does not respond anymore. I receive an error "General Communication Error" (or something like this). And this is only when I call RAID management from the GUI. If I click on another option the GUI answers instantly. When I restart the server, I can open the RAID management again and see there that the sync is in status "PENDING". When I click to recover the RAID the sync goes further, but in a minute or two the RAID management stops responding again and return "General Communication Error".
    I though there are some rests from the last partitions of the disks. I checked all of them and they are completely empty (no partitions, nothing). S.M.A.R.T. check shows them as healthy at 95%.
    I really cannot understand the cause of this behavior. I tried to reproduce the issue in a virtual environment. I installed OMV on a Hyper-V VM and attached 4x 2TB virtual disks. The sync speed was about 200MB/s and the reponse time of the RAID management was instant.
    Could you please give me some advise what can I do to solve this issue. I really like OMV.

Thanks in advance.

• Post the output of cat /proc/mdstat. Also note that if you create the filesystem while the sync is still ongooing it will slow down the sync many times over.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hello.
    Sorry for the delayed answer. I was out of the city for some days.

Here is the requested output:

Code
    Personalities : [raid10]
    md0 : active raid10 sdd[3] sdc[2] sdb[1] sda[0]
          3906765824 blocks super 1.2 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]
          [>....................]  resync =  0.0% (748800/3906765824) finish=8697.4min speed=7484K/sec

I started a new RAID10 to check, if the problem is in my server machine, because it is not that fast and it takes time to calculate the parity.
    On RAID10 it is a bit a faster. It started about 10MB/s, the it droped to 1-2 MB/s, then raised again to 30-40 MB/s (which is pretty much in my case).
    I set speed_limit_min to 50000, but this speed is never reached anyway.

I am not doing anything else on server. Just syncing the RAID.

• because it is not that fast and it takes time to calculate the parity.

Which parity?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Still way too slow.

What Hardware are we talking about... CPU etc?

Greetings
    David

• It is a HP Proliant MicroServer.
    AMD Turion DualCore 1.3GHz

A RAID10 sync is running since almost 2 hours and it has synced 2%. With this speed it will be synced about next weekend. :D

• Abort the raid syncing. Check with dd how fast you can write to the disks.

Greetings
    David

• This is the otput of dd:

Code
    root@vault:~# dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=1000000 of=file_1GB
    1000000+0 records in
    1000000+0 records out
    1024000000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 7.347 s, 139 MB/s
  • This looks fine, but for the moment I'm out of ideas...

Greetings
    David

• I don't use mdadm, thus I didn't thought of it. Do you happen to knoe which value you should set it to?

Greetings
    David

• I set /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min to 50k, but they are never reached. The top speed I reached was about 30k.
    The server is completely idle. It is a fresh installation and nothing is running on it yet.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This looks fine, but for the moment I'm out of ideas...

Greetings
    David

Sorry, to point this, but i think the dd test you need to perform it inside a the root of the array, mounted array. Can you clarify that @davidh2k? Youre performing dd over your home root folder. Can you perform the same test insided the mounted array or a single similar disk.

Did you try an set a higher max, min value like 200k?

• I was really sleepy back then, must have missed that mistake @subzero79

Greetings
    David

• I found what is issue was. One of my hard drive was bad and caused the troubles. Strange was, that I ran several S.M.A.R.T. checks and they showed it as healthy. I removed it and now everything is working as designed.

Thanks for the effrots guys.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!