Changing User passwords

• Hi there,

I have some problems with changing user passwords (OMV 1.7).
    A user forgot his password and caused several ban-mails (btw: users do not get any message about being banned! They just keep on trying to log in at OMV / owncloud...)
    I tried to modify the password of a user in the web interface of OMV which worked very well (using the admin account). I could log in again and owncloud adapted the new password as well. I also restarted the OMV machine.
    But the day after this password has not been accepted any more. Does someone have any idea how to change the password permanently?

I'd appreciate any suggestion! Thanks!

Regards, Axel

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no expiration set in the passwords (you can do it in CLI if you want), but omv default is no expiration. You can check that yourself at the /etc/shadow file where all the hashed passwords for usernames are stored plus other information

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lame/L…/shadow-file-formats.html

There must be something going on in between omv and OC. I don't know where to start to debug this and I am not a big fan of OC

• You changed the password how you should Axel. It should be working and permanent. Are any other users having issues? In the ownCloud administration go to plugins and make sure the openemediavault plugin for OC is still enabled.

I changed a user password in the OMV web gui and rebooted. The user logged in normally.

Did you mess with anything else on the user? like groups or shell???

• Okay, thanks for your suggestions guys, it is working again.
    I don't have a clue what happend, but sometimes problems seem to solve themselves ^^ In the meantime I did an update of OMV to 1.9, maybe it had something to do with that or the ban.
    I have only one more user on the system, but with that one there were no problems.

Though, I have some further questions left:

• What happens, if a user resets his password using the link on the owncloud login page?
    • And what is done in OMV if I change user passwords in the admin user management page of owncloud??
    • Is there a possibility to have a look at a list of currently banned users and their status?

Thanks again!

• Your first two questions: We don't know. Why don't you try it out yourself and report back with your findings. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!