Remote management?

• Hi All.

I am setting up a HP MicroServer for a family member that they will take with them in a few days. Is there some way to remote manage the box as we are 4 hours apart.

Something like Hamachi would be ideal, I get an IP for the box and can access the web interface plus any plugins etc..

Thanks,
    D

DAMONSTER - OMV 1.8 - 42TB RAID6
    XEON 1270 v3 - 16GB SAMSUNG ECC - X10SL7-F - ANTEC 1200 - HIGHPOINT 2720 - HIGHPOINT 640L - CORSAIR RM750 -

• What can't you do via SSH / Web Gui ?

You just need to get some sort of no-ip.com dns service running so that you always target a name and it would update the IP when it changes on the remote box.

Or did I miss something ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have them put teamviewer on one of the client machines.. If they need help, have them fire it up and help them. Otherwise, ssh or openvpn is your best option. Its not smart to open the webui up to the internet

• I'd go for the OpenVPN option as well. You can do a lot more using it than just the webgui access but it will work very well for that. I'm really enjoying using mine remotely that way and as I am about to go abroad it will be fantastic having the means to access my NAS and other stuff on the network through the VPN.

• What can't you do via SSH / Web Gui ?

You just need to get some sort of no-ip.com dns service running so that you always target a name and it would update the IP when it changes on the remote box.

Or did I miss something ?

I am not planning on opening the web UI to the internet. Though a service to cover the dynamic IP from their isp would be great.

Hi,

I would prefer an OpenVPN server on the router of your family member.
    You have access to their router?

Don't believe their router supports running an OpenVPN servers, can I use the OpenVPN plugin on OMV?

Have them put teamviewer on one of the client machines.. If they need help, have them fire it up and help them. Otherwise, ssh or openvpn is your best option. Its not smart to open the webui up to the internet

They have teamviewer on their home pc but I am hoping to avoid using it because then I need to call them etc. to ensure they are not using the machine etc. Ideally it would be all via a VPN etc. so I can do it without checking in first. Just to clarify, not planning on port forwarding to the web interface.

I'd go for the OpenVPN option as well. You can do a lot more using it than just the webgui access but it will work very well for that. I'm really enjoying using mine remotely that way and as I am about to go abroad it will be fantastic having the means to access my NAS and other stuff on the network through the VPN.

I'll see if their is a plugin that allows that kind of stuff.

DAMONSTER - OMV 1.8 - 42TB RAID6
    XEON 1270 v3 - 16GB SAMSUNG ECC - X10SL7-F - ANTEC 1200 - HIGHPOINT 2720 - HIGHPOINT 640L - CORSAIR RM750 -

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!