I think I broke nginx

• I have spent a few hours trying to unmount the data drive from OMV so that I can unplug it and replace it with a new drive just purchased. I created two users and installed quite a few plugins. I deleted all the users and ensured that no service were activated. I logged out of extplorer. Still could not log out.

I tried various combinations of resetting in attempt to delete the file system so that I could unmount the drive but I could still could not. I then deleted all the "users" listed as plugins thinking that I could always add them back when I needed. I still could not delete the darn file system.

I decided to reboot. Now I cannot log into the gui. I tried clearing the cache still no avail. I was able to log into recovery mode and am at the command prompt on a monitor connected to my omv box. I was tempted to follow the steps listed here -> Upgrade to 1.0 did not work - "Welcome to Nginx" but don't want to dig myself further into a hole. Do I simply need to restart nginx via the cli?

• unfortunately I disable ssh and deleted "all users" I was really trying everything I could to delete the only file system on a 500GB drive to replace with a newly bought 4TB. The files were just testing. I am on a monitor connected to the OMV box and I was able to get to root. I have restarted nginx as described here -> Upgrade to 1.0 did not work - "Welcome to Nginx" Now I have

502 Bad Gateway
    nginx

Thanks for the reply! jt

Edit: I was able to use omg-firstaid as C0mmada suggested, but I cannot seem to configure either the network interface or the web gui. For each I am getting:

response null error...
    ... failed to execute RPC....

• I can start it but I still cannot get to the web GUI. Where before It was told that the server was not responding when nginx was off. Now it says 502 Bad Gateway with nginx underneath. This tells me that I broke something when I deleted all the users.

also if I let the box boot normal instead of into recovery mode, I get two Monit emails ;one reading, "Execution fails php5-fpm"
    and another reading "Service does not exist php5-fpm".

I am thinking I broke something effectively. I would like to learn how to get this back up, but otherwise I am thinking perhaps I will just do a clean install and perhaps not install so many plugins at once? I installed about 9 planning to use them, but I had to apt clean and reboot quite a few times.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since apt handles all of the dependencies, etc.. if there was a conflict between two plugins.. there will be a conflict whether you install them at the same time, or individually... so I don't think that would be your issue. It probably is good practice however, to install one or two at a time however, so if there is a problem that comes up, you can narrow it down to what you installed that caused the issue.

• @KM0201 thanks yes. I was thinking this as I eventually got it worked out with being able to boot after the plug in instal. Had many issues, but this problem I believe is related to my messing with trying to delete that dang file system.

• @tekkb thanks. I pulled the data drive that I couldn't unmount and reinstalled OMV on the SSD. I am not certain if the install completely reformatted the SDD though. I am looking for the thread that describes the CLI commands for testing the speed and configuration of the inventory of the system. Can you tell me if I should have deleted all the partitions first via a CLI before reinstalling OMV on the SSD? I don't really want other stuff hanging around in a partition if I don't need it.

Edit: I found the thread here -> System check and harddisk/raid speed tests in a nutshell
    I ran blkid after installing pci utils and I see that the SDD has just two partitions, so I believe this is correct as one is a swap.

• I kept it simple this time and left the new 4TB hdd out of the system until I had reinstalled. I ran update and got back to OMV 1.14. I rebooted. All was well. Next I performed shutdown and installed the new disk. I had some sort of hang, then system did a reboot. After reboot system gui is not there again, but this time it shows a blank blue screen with OMV logo on the bottom. I started and restarted nginx to no avail. Do I need to start / restart php5-fpm?

edit: ran this

still I cannot log into the gui. Its a blank blue screen with the OMV logo down at the bottom.

• Ok so I performed two actions and I am not certain which one fixed my problem.
    1. After trying to start and restart nginx and php5-fpm as above I still had the missing log in box on the GUI so I decided to reboot.
    All throughout my foray into omv I have gotten errors periodically where an OMV box connected monitor shows kernel instructions and freezes. Since the initial box build I had 2 extra 2GB sticks of ram in the machine (for a total of 8G) but the system has only been recognizing 4GB. In other words the 2 original 2GB sticks. I had read in my MB manual that some systems would not recognize more than 4 so I thought perhaps it was some sort of limitation. I decided to take the extra two sticks out. I rebooted and the system booted without a stall.

2. I have been using a private browser window in safari to hopefully not have to keep clearing the cache, as I was thinking there was something involved with the browser as to why I could not get to the GUI properly. I cleared the cache once again then navigated to another page, then attempted to browse my OMV IP. Sure enough the problem went away and I have been able to log on.

I am going to reboot a few times to see if I can duplicate the error. I don't want to spend days configuring this system only to find that I have some sort of wonky hardware error.

I have installed the HDD and I am trying to learn how to examine this 4TB beast for errors. Should I use the dd command and blkid to check it out or perform a long wipe and just create a file system? The reason I ask is because this is what got me into trouble in the first place.... creating a file system and discovering I could not remove it without starting from scratch.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!