USB booting

• Hi folks.

I know the general recommendation is to not boot off USB for OMV.

However, is that recommendation still accurate when most USB sticks now have internal wear leveling built-in? Now that sticks do that, I honestly can't see any difference between using a USB stick and a SSD as far as longevity goes.

Also, my server's internal USB port is USB 3.0. Can OMV boot and run off USB 3.0?

Thanks.

About to move to OMV 3.0, running Sonarr, Emby, NZBGet on a Pentium G4520 on an AsRock B150M Pro4S and 16GB DDR4 in a Lian-Li PC-M25A case.
    Sub 10W idle power draw, thanks to SuperFlower 350W 80Plus Gold PSU.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von HellDiverUK ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most usb sticks do not have wear leveling and definitely don't have static wear leveling (which is what you want). That said, I am having very good luck with the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin on my systems. If this plugin is used, I would say use the usb stick. You will need the 3.16 backports kernel for usb 3.0 but it should boot fine.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm was going to be using a SanDisk Cruzer which do have some wear leveling.

I'm just thinking, I'm probably going to just have to go with a SSD, because I'll be running Plex Media Server, Sonarr, and the likes. I don't think they'll work too well on USB.

About to move to OMV 3.0, running Sonarr, Emby, NZBGet on a Pentium G4520 on an AsRock B150M Pro4S and 16GB DDR4 in a Lian-Li PC-M25A case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The data for the plugins is on the data drives. So, the OS drive type won't make much of a difference. ssd would be more trustworthy though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ah cool, well that's OK then. :) I have two identical Sandisk sticks, so I can easily take a backup of the boot drive.

Edit: I just decommissioned a FreeNAS box today. It's one of the first HP Microservers, and it's been booting off an old 2GB no-name USB stick and it's been perfectly fine for a little under 7 years. OK, it's only rebooted once or twice a year, usually when they're doing the electrical testing, but still, it's a long time for a crappy USB stick.

• Freenas is based on FreeBSD, OMV on Debian. Debian does a lot more read and write what kills your USB-Stick much faster. However you can try the flashmemory plugin aaron already mentioned.

• I've been looking into USB boot drives, as the motherboard for my next install has only two SATA ports (long story). As @ryecoaaron mentions, I found most USB flash drives either didn't support wear leveling or manufacturers don't address it at all in their documentation.

I found some, like the Sandisk Cruzer Extreme, are now based on SATA SSD controllers mated to a SATA to USB bridge. In the case of the Sandisk, its the same Phison 9 controller in one of the Sandisk SSDs I have booting a desktop machine. In effect, its an SSD in a USB Flash drive package. Because of the speed "bottleneck" presented by the USB bridge and the size of the housing, Sandisk uses a slower, single, flash memory chip. But in all other respects, its an SSD with both TRIM and SMART support.

There's several brands that offer this, I only mention Sandisk as that was the OP's brand,

Probably still not a preferred alternative to a drive on a SATA port, but perhaps a viable alternative in specific cases where SATA ports are in short supply.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!