Norco ITX-S8 nas build

• Hi everyone. I'm new here and have known about omv for some time. I actually it because I used freenas way back when the developer was still working there and left. I apologize but I can't remember your name. So although I knew about it, I never got a chance to use it, but I always wanted to give it a go as I liked what I saw. Anyway, I'm starting a new build for a nas and wanted to show you what I am starting and also ask about omv. Does omv support virtualization like say running a xen server, vmware, or whatever the case may be? I'm sorry if it's new question, but I just haven't used it yet. As you will see I'm just beginning this project and still need to figure the hardware I want to use. I already have a xen server machine set up but I figure if I could do this on a nas with enough space, that would be cool too. One less computer I need to have on. Anyway I don't want to make this intro too long so here's my blog where you can check out my build.
    http://jaimenow.blogspot.com/p/norco-itx.html
    Jaime

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nice review. Looks like a decent case. I wouldn't worry about the horizontal position. Lots of cases mount the drive horizontally. As long as you have enough airflow, they will be fine.

Does omv support virtualization

As the host or the guest? As the host, there is a virtualbox plugin. There is also a thread on the forum about using kvm. As the guest, I have run OMV in virtualbox, kvm, VMware, and hyper-v.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks! Yes I do like the case despite the minor details. So far it's going to be sitting on one of those wireframe shelves so there will be plenty of air around it. As for the virtualization I was thinking more as a host. I was just curious about it, but it's not a big deal if it doesn't since I am already running it on a separate mini itx machine and only turn it on when I work on it. Thanks for letting me know.

• I have been looking at two motherboards for this build and I want to see if there are any problems with hardware issues and open mediavault. The two boards are:

GA-Z170N-WIFI - There is a revision 1.0 and 2.0. So far I only see rev 1 but was looking for rev 2.
    http://www.gigabyte.us/product…uct-page.aspx?pid=5982#ov

Pros:
    -Newer hardware but only six sata ports, but also costs less than the server board.
    -Does support ecc memory as well which I just noticed. Not that I was looking for that
    -Wifi which could help me at the moment since I'm in a smaller place and the box is away from the router. Not sure how well the omv will like this for now but it's all included on this board.

Cons:
    -Can't find rev 2 which I guess would be fine, but I'm not sure what's changed but would rather get the latest one.
    -Will need to add sata ports or get a sas card adding to the cost. I'm not sure how well this will go with raid, having two drives on pcie since the board raid I'm sure is only for the board sata ports.
    -Support seems to be MIA. I emailed them asking about version 2 and never got an answer. At least the old board I got seems to work fine though. So if you need hardware support this may not be what you want. I don't know about asrock but I found out it was spun off asus, but now is owned by a different company which is also newer.

Asrock C236 WSI
    http://asrockrack.com/general/…p?Model=C236%20WSI#Manual
    Pros:
    -8 Sata ports already on the board
    -IPMI which could also be a security con. I really don't care since I can access it in other ways and don't care to be messing with the board remotely anyway.
    -No wifi
    -No mention of linux os compatibility on the site, only windows.
    -I like how well organized the website is. This makes finding related material easier. Just something I noticed and like.

Cons:
    -Price of board
    -Price of ecc memory
    -Older bios unlike the new one from the gygabite board. This is kind of a big one for me just because I don't want to jump through hoops trying to get this thing updated.
    -Less connectors on the back since it's a "server" type board which I don't really care about other than the 8 sata ports.
    -No wifi since I kind of want to use this for now if possible.
    -A con for now as I have never used an asrock board and don't know how often they update the bios on their boards, the bios just looks old on this board which is the reason I say this.

Notes: Both boards support up to 32GB of memory. The latest price of 16gb dimm is about 75.99 bucks on the egg so not cheap but it's what I see at the moment.

CPU: Intel I3 6320
    http://ark.intel.com/products/…ocessor-4M-Cache-3_90-GHz
    Notes: I'm using the previous version I3 for my xen and works fine so this is why I want to go this route, it costs less and I like the lower power chips too but with a bit of reserve power in case I need it.

Well, this is what I'm looking at and can't decide yet, one due to the version and the other due to the price. Decisions decisions.

Any thoughts on going with either of these for my case or maybe there are affordable boards with 8 ports I have not seen? Any issues with the software with either of these? Can I use the omv raid to add drives and replace drives with larger ones like you do in most nas devices or do I need to redo the whole raid array and start fresh when adding more drives? I'm sure I may be forgetting something but I thought I post this for now.

I was looking at sas cards and they're not cheap either, and most are pci-2 and these boards have pcie-3. Since I wouldn't be taking advantage of the pci 3 speeds, technically speaking, going straight to the board sata seems to be a better option for now. I'm just thinking about not lowering the theoretically hard drive speeds if you will. Well that's the idea I'm trying anyway.

• I finally put most of the parts together on this build but I need a little help with fans. Check out the rest of the build and let me know if any of you know of 80 mm brush-less pwm fans with long enough leads I could replace the originals with. I still have another option I could go with, but take a look at the rest of the build and you will know what I'm talking about and then let me know if you know of any. In short, I still need a couple of small things to get sorted out, but it's almost there I think. It's almost 1am here so I'm sorry if I left anything out. Oh yeah, the links to the following pages are at the bottom of the previous page.Thanks.

• Okay, I got most of the hardware together. I'm working on trying to get omv on the usb stick but I'm having problems getting the latest version installed. It seems to not want to install and eventually I end up going back to the same menus since I can't finish installing omv and then when I cancel or reboot, the usb stick has to be re-formatted and I have to use the program to make the boot disk again. I'm not sure what I'm missing but any help with this is appreciated or links to getting this installed correctly. I have tried two different usb sticks and still get the same thing so I'm not sure if maybe it's what I'm doing that's wrong. Either way if you guys can point me in the right direction I would appreciate that or if it's me doing something wrong feel free to chime in and correct me. I'm not sure what's going on. Here's the link to what I have been doing.
    http://jaimenow.blogspot.com/p…-s8-nas-case-3-build.html

• Can anyone tell me if omv will allow me to make a raid 5 array with three drives and expand it with a fourth drive later on or do I have to start with all four hard drives? Also, would I be able to expand each drive later on with a larger drives or will I need to remake the raid 5 array? I have some old ide hard drives that I will try to test the installation on since I had no luck with the usb drives but I'm waiting for a sata to ide adapter so i can test this out. I'm asking about the raid since I don't have any drives to install on the drive bays yet, but still waiting for the right price and since I want to do raid 5, I was wondering how omv deals with the raid. Thanks.

• Thanks, that helps. I guess I was thinking in line of how every nas lets you add hard drives one at a time after you create a raid with the first 3 drives to expand the available space. Obviously we can't all buy a bunch of drives at once so this is the reason I asked. I'm waiting for the holiday specials to see what drives go on sale since we are getting very close. I got a list of things I need this holiday season. :) I'm still waiting for that ide adapter to see if that will allow me to plug the ide hard drive to my nas so I can finally test omv.

• I finally manage to install omv 3 and I have a couple of questions. On the temps which is nice to see on here, can that display both C and F temps at the same time like you see on the netgear nas? I thought I could upload pictures on here but I can't, so the pictures are at the bottom of this page. http://jaimenow.blogspot.com/p…as-case-8-build-fans.html

The other question is, I would like have the nas turn off at night at a certain time and turn back on in the morning. Where can I do this if possible? I like to turn everything off at night when I'm not using it. Anyway, just checking out the temps for now, thanks. I think I found the schedule for this one. That is so cool, my nas schedule just shut it down like I wanted it to and so did my other nas. I like it! I can sleep like baby without all the noise from these things.
    I managed to shutdown just fine, but what's the correct way to have it turn on in the morning for example. Is it the same thing I have set up. It didn't turn on this morning at all. I then had to turn it on myself but also noticed that after I installed some hard drives, the boot drive had changed to one of the front data bays which is not what I wanted. A crud, I keep trying to upload a picture...anyway I have a reboot at 8 am, but that still didn't work. Obviously a reboot I'm assuming needs the nas to be on so that's not what I want.

I was just checking the drives and all the drives are listed the same so if say drive 5 goes bad, how is that displayed in OMV? FreeNas would sat the actual bay number that was matched to my case and the bios. I can't see and easy way to read that on here, but maybe it's done another way. Please post if you know how omv numbers the drives since I noticed and I think I saw them starting from the number 1 which is not how the bios sees the drive bays.

I was trying to save the configuration but I can't find a way to do this, how is this done in omv or is there a different way to do that here?

• I'm now trying to create a raid 5 but none of the hard drives show up. I have two 500gb and two 2tb hard drives. I can see the physical drives, but I can't make a raid 5 or anything because none of the drives show up under the raid management/create. It's all blank. I know I'm supposed to make a raid before making any shares, etc. Any info is welcome, thanks. I'm using ver 3.x.36 I think it was. I ejected all the hard drives and started putting them back in one at a time, and they show up fine in the physical drives page.

I noticed there are a lot of updates. I tried updating 3.x.52 and all I get is errors, so I can't upgrade anything. Just thought I let you guys know. So it looks like 3 is not working at all. Now I get this pop up of "an error occured every time I try to check for updates."

I may have spoken to early, omv stated that my OS drive had some bad sectors, but I only got this after trying upgrade all the updates that it had. I just changed the hard drive and will try again.

• I changed the hard drive, re-did the boot disk because for whatever reason if I cancel the install that always gets screwed up no matter what. If there's a way to keep that from happening that would be awesome. I then went ahead and did the updates and got an error towards the end, something about having a bad gateway. This was before I gave it a static ip. No biggie. I went back to the raid and still nothing. Rebooted and waited. I found the wipe otion under the physical drives and although it wouldn't let me do anything for a while, I re-booted and it looks like it started working again. I'm now using a 7200 rpm drive but some of these settings seems to take a bit to come up. Anyway after doing a quick wipe on each drive I can now make a raid 5. Just thought I mentioned it in case anyone else ends up with the same thing. I'm still wondering how I will be able to find the right drive if one goes bad since they seems to just be dev with each drives model number. If you know how this works let me know.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-extras is not causing this issue. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep openm

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Oh, I have no idea. That's what started happening once I installed omv extras. I am using firefox with an add blocker called ghostery which I'm also testing but have found to also block a few things I didnt' want blocked, but then I tried it with opera and edge and was still having the same problem. So I wiped it because I could not get back into omv at all, I then installed FreeNas on the same hard drive to test the speed and sure enough FreeNas works much faster meaning I can change from one thing to another without any problem. So I'm not sure if it's the version that is slow but there is definitely a difference when using the web gui. I'm just taking a look around then I may just test omv 2. I dont' think I've try that yet. I'm not liking this datasets on freenas or maybe I'm not used to that. I did create a raid five with two 500tb drives and one 2tb drive and just one account. I then share it just to test the accounts. So I haven't really don't too much on either other than try things out.

From the top of my head I was testing the different home directories just to get an idea of how that worked in omv and manually disconnecting the drives to log in with a different user. I'm not sure if omv like that too much. Not configuring anything else that I can think of. Anyway I just wanted to verify that the system was working correctly from the hard drive and that' the reason I loaded FreeNas. And I understand that latest version is still in beta I'm not saying that's the reason just thought I mention those errors I ran into. So far I think that's all I've done.

• Hello again. I have finally installed omv 3 and have copied/moved my old nas files to it. Now I have a new question. I have finally been organizing or at least putting all my pictures in one share so they are easier for me to find and organize into folder, etc. I was just looking into getting secured web access to my nas, but I don't see a service for this? I just want to keep this simple for now. Will there be a service added to easily set this up or how and what is being used here? I want to try and stick with the nas default services for now since last time I tried installing omv-extras really did a number on the first install. Although It was a lower version than now. Still three, but since it's still in beta, this is the reason I don't want to mess too much with it and it's working fine now. I guess I was trying to figure out a way to access the pictures to also be able to organize them from elsewhere if I'm ever that bored or just view them on a tv, but well you get the idea. I also don't see a web plug in, but If I'm looking at the wrong thing do let me know. Thanks.

Also, I noticed the forum doesn't have a secure login since the browser keeps telling me that. Is there a secure login for the forum? I'm assuming the passwords are being transmitted in plain text. Do correct me if I'm wrong. I just got this other error message trying to post this reply.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was just looking into getting secured web access to my nas

To the OMV web interface? System -> General Settings -> Web Administration -> Enable SSL enables https.

I tried installing omv-extras really did a number on the first install.

I don't know what version you are referring to but I doubt omv-extras caused the problem since it doesn't change anything that can cause that error.

I guess I was trying to figure out a way to access the pictures to also be able to organize them from elsewhere if I'm ever that bored or just view them on a tv, but well you get the idea. I also don't see a web plug in, but If I'm looking at the wrong thing do let me know.

There is no plugin that offers a web interface to access pictures. You could install the nginx plugin but that requires installing omv-extras. Once the nginx plugin is installed, you would have to manually install a web app.

I noticed the forum doesn't have a secure login since the browser keeps telling me that. Is there a secure login for the forum? I'm assuming the passwords are being transmitted in plain text. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

No, there is no https for the forum. You shouldn't use the same password for any site. If you stay logged in, the site uses cookies so you password isn't transmitted over the internet all the time.

• Hi ryecoaaron. Thanks for getting back to me. I was thinking more in the lines of a web pages for my own use when away. Basically a web server and not the web admin access. That was set up on my old nas and I was able to basically manage my files through the web too so I was just trying to figure out how I could go about doing something similar with omv.

I'm not familiar with nginx so I'm not sure how that works on omv. If I install the plugin, do I also need to setup a separate web server with access to say one of the shares? I'm sorry I'm just not familiar with it. I did take a look at the site for a second, so I'll go back and read a bit more I have never used it though.

What is the correct way to save my configuration before I try to install any of the omv-extras? I thought there was a way to do it on the web interface, but I can't see anything like this. Maybe I was just thinking of a router, but if there is do let me know. Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not familiar with nginx so I'm not sure how that works on omv. If I install the plugin, do I also need to setup a separate web server with access to say one of the shares? I'm sorry I'm just not familiar with it. I did take a look at the site for a second, so I'll go back and read a bit more I have never used it though.

nginx is the web server. You would need a web based file manager probably based on php.

What is the correct way to save my configuration before I try to install any of the omv-extras?

There isn't a way. If a plugin causes a problem, post here. Most problems can be reverted by uninstalling the plugin.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!