OMV shares disappear from WIndows 10 network after only a few minutes!

• Hello, i have OMV 2.2.5 running on a Raspberry Pi 3 over an Ethernet connection (hostname: SEAGATE2) . I have a USB HDD mounted. There are several Windows 10 PCs in the network as well as a Seagate Central 4 TB NAS (hostname: seagate).

Problem:
    The first few minutes after I boot the Pi 3, everything is fine. SEAGATE2 is shown along with the other computers in the Windows 10 list of network computers, and I can browse its shared folders from Windows 10. However, after maybe 2 or 3 minutes "SEAGATE2" simply disappears from the list of computers. I can still access it from Windows 10 by typing \\seagate2. If I reboot the Pi 3, SEAGATE2 is back in the network computers list for a few minutes, then disappears again. This happens on all the Windows 10 PCs.

Why is this happening? I know that the Seagate Central is the master browser (running LINUX), should that matter? Any settings I could try? It seems that OMV doesn't inform the master browser that it is online for more than a few minutes after every boot. I tried adding the "netbios name = seagate2" to the SMB config parameters, but no change. All computers are in the same workgroup. Thanks for any help.

• Does the hard drive spin down after a period of time? I have the same thing happening on my computer, but whenever I try to access a file in the shares, it becomes available again after the hard drive spins up.

• I haven't mapped (assigned drive letters to) any drives in Windows 10. I'm talking about the computers displayed in the Network tab.

Alternatively, when using the Windows command line (cmd):

- if I type "net view" shortly after the Pi 3 has booted, SEAGATE2 is present on the list.
    - if I wait about 5 minutes and retype the command, SEAGATE2 is no longer on the list, but the other computers still are.

I'll look closer at your solution, _DD_, but please note again that I'm not talking about mapped drives (=assigned drive letters) here.

• I know about net view.
    Mapping the drives is the easiest method.
    What happen if you map the drive, and the SEAGATE2 disappear from the network location?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• What happen if you map the drive, and the SEAGATE2 disappear from the network location?

I assigned drive letters to two folders under SEAGATE2 after rebooting OMV. After a few minutes SEAGATE2 disappeared from the network computer list just as before, but the mapped drives still work.

• As long as the mapped drives still work, then that's all matter.
    Maybe there is a NETBIOS or network issue somewhere on your RPI 3 or network.
    By the way, ensure your RPI workgroup name and the computer you using have the same workgroup name.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!