OpenVPN as separate network interface

• Hey all,
    currently I'm trying to get an OpenVPN configuration working for my setup.
    My provider gave me a .ovpn file, so that I can access the VPN by running:

Code
    sudo openvpn -config /etc/openvpn/Config.ovpn

But after the command is executed the web interface is not reachable (I can access by IP, but I want to do it by Domain).
    Furthermore Plex and Nextcloud are not working too.

I thought about it and I think that the VPN connection is blocking my eth0 network card.
    So I try to get a solution that does something similar to a Windows system.
    If I install a VPN Tool, I get a new network adapter which runs in parallel.

If my browser or application uses my "normal" network card, I am still in the un-tunneled network.
    Otherwise the new network adapter sends all request trough the VPN tunnel.

Is there a way to tell my download-applications to use a new vpn network interface so that my other services are still working?

With best regards
    LouBen3010

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a common issue, when you use the OpenVPN client and this is used to fwd all traffic trough the vpn gw, external incoming traffic from the wan side (http ssh for example) will be forwarded through the vpn gw. This is documented in OpenVPN website wiki, the is a solution to this in the netfilter stack. Every time someone asks in the forum about this I have trouble looking for this info. Take a look searching in the forum using google or in the OpenVPN web.

• Thanks for your answer!!
    It looks very complicated..

If someone did this before with an OMV system I think a little guide will be helpful.
    Otherwise I need to cancel my VPN subscription or need to download my stuff manually on windows and put it onto my server.

Have a nice day!

• I try month ago to use VPN just for Downloads (tansmission) and leave Plex and other services use "normal" connexion.

I try OpenVPN but it's too complex for me.. Never succeed.. I'm not skilled in linux as in engligh ;)
    So finally, I use Docker.
    Transmission is the only service that use VPN (Ipvanish) on my OMV.

You can find a nice tuto here for synology, but very easy to apply to OMV. Sorry, in french... cool for me :P
    http://www.babash.fr/2015/12/0…mission-a-travers-un-vpn/
    haugene/transmission-openvpn work with a lot of VPN providers

If you want to try and block, I can help

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!