Copying large amounts of data

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just the first few letters and then hit the tab key. The tab key is the most helpful key in Linux when using the command line because it auto-complete what you are typing. If there is more than one option, you hit the tab key twice.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since you're a newb at this.. there was a lot easier way to do this than using the command line and "mv"

Rsync would handled this all perfectly for you.

1. Install rsync plugins
    2. Plugin and Mount USB drive on OMV under filesystems (Plug it into the NAS, not your laptop)
    3. Create shares for the USB drive under shared folders (one for Videos, Music, etc.)
    4. Create corresponding shares for the internal NAS drive under shared folders (Videos, Music, etc.)
    5. Configure an rsync job to sync Videos(USB) to Videos(internal nas drive). Repeat for Music, etc.
    6. Run the rsync jobs.... it will handle all this for you.
    7. When you're done, Unmount the USB, then remove the shares from the rsync jobs and from the Shared Folders section

Since I don't run a RAID... that's how I back up my files all the time. I have some rsync jobs that run on schedule (2x a day).. to check certain folders, and backup to "Drive B" when there's changes. Then once a month or so, I use rsync to sync from the NAS to the USB, as another, off site backup.

I'm not sure why wiring your laptop to the network would be necessary.. unless you're hooking the USB up to the laptop and moving them to the NAS w/ Samba or NFS (which will be EXTREMELY slow under most circumstances)...

• Right, I now have a share called MUSIC with a folder called MUSIC that contains all my artist/music/albums etc. How do I move all these artist/music/albums etc into the 'root' of the MUSIC share?

in other words
    /media/uuid/MUSIC/MUSIC/Queen (etc)

needs to look like this:-
    /media/uuid/MUSIC/Queen (etc)

How do I do that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure how that happened... did you use the mv command or rsync.

It should be easy to overcome though.... First, we need to move the subdirectory music, to the top of the chain.. which will have to be temporarily renamed... so:

mv /media/uuid/MUSIC/MUSIC /media/uuid/music-1

Once you do that, you should now have a "music-1" folder, that has all your data, and "MUSIC" should be empty (use ls to verify this before proceeding further). Now, assuming all your data was moved to music-1 and MUSIC is now blank...
    rm -R /media/uuid /MUSIC

That will delete the /media/uuid/MUSIC directory.

Then you just need to rename the "music-1" directory, back to "MUSIC"
    mv /media/uuid/music-1 /media/uuid/MUSIC

Now when you ls... you should see "music-1" has essentially been renamed to "MUSIC" which should now contain all your data.

• I don't think I explained very clearly. I've attached a screen grab that might explain better.

Can you see how all my music is in a MUSIC folder on my music (mapped) drive. Ideally, I'd like to have all this music structure directly on the root of my mapped music drive. I need to move all the contents of the MUSIC folder one folder up...make sense?

(in other words, when I look at my 'S:' drive, I want to see 10,000 Maniacs, A Big Band Christmas Collection etc etc in that location, and NOT in another MUSIC folder.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or just:

cd /media/uuid/Music/Music/
    mv * ../

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "birket"

I don't think I explained very clearly. I've attached a screen grab that might explain better.

Can you see how all my music is in a MUSIC folder on my music (mapped) drive. Ideally, I'd like to have all this music structure directly on the root of my mapped music drive. I need to move all the contents of the MUSIC folder one folder up...make sense?

(in other words, when I look at my 'S:' drive, I want to see 10,000 Maniacs, A Big Band Christmas Collection etc etc in that location, and NOT in another MUSIC folder.

OK.. it looks like you're using samba.. so just change the mapping a bit...

Go to the OMV GUI
    Go to Shared Folders
    Click on the "Music" folder
    click Edit
    Click the path, and choose the subdirectory "MUSIC" instead of the top directory.
    Click OK to accept the change.
    Click on SMB/CIFS
    Click "OK" to restart Samba.

It will still be "technically" /MUSIC/MUSIC however in the GUI (because of the way you mapped the shared directory).... you won't see the top directory.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "birket"

As simple as that????
    :)

Yep, that moves everything in the current directory down one directory.

• Thankyou so much!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!