Various problems getting started with Odroid HC (best practice)

• tkaiser wrote:

Just like @troublem4keR reported at the start of this thread. When updating an Armbian kernel package initramfs-cleanup will be called and here the error messages seems to originate (no idea why).
      ... I won't waste my time further on this manufacturer.
      Thx. Will try it again.

So you don't like the HC2 anymore? Thought it is a good device to use it with OMV?

Is there any other (better) advice for hardware? Don't need big specs - but good running hardware. Or did I just misunderstood you?
    • I just did a fresh install on a HC1. I didn't download a new image, the one I used was downloaded a week or so ago. But the image on SF is a couple of months old, so it shouldn't matter.

I used a brand new, never used before, 32 GB SanDisk Ultra A1.

I encountered zero problems. (Except for the weakref.py glitch that I ignored.)

Update went fine.

I didn't see any errors about busybox or kyle1117. It just installed

I added the resetperms plugins. Went fine.

Suggestions:

Try a different SD card.
      Verify the checksum on the downloaded image.
      Let the install finish.
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 3 x 12TB, 2 x 8TB, 1 x 4TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 500GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • budpad wrote:

Kind of strange, isn't it?
      If you refer to 'Apple Filing' being listed as running... no it's not on all the ARM images since the netatalk package is installed by default but I never thought about setting it to disabled. It's a cosmetical issue safe to ignore.

What about the 'real' errors you reported (thankfully @Adoby tested so we know what should happen after a verified download that got burned without problems to SD card)?

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser ().

• Your screenshot shows kernel 4.9 and an uptime of 11 minutes. So your installation has no working Internet access since otherwise on first boot all packages (kernel included) would've been updated and you would be running kernel 4.14 already.

Edit: remembered wrong. Automatic updates at first boot only on RPi image.

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser ().

• budpad wrote:

Hi. Just installed all the packages by myself and rebooted.

Internet access was/is available all the time.

Now it shows:
      I would be worried that there are other problems lurking if the initial installation and first update wasn't 100% error free. If it isn't the network, then what is the problem?
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 3 x 12TB, 2 x 8TB, 1 x 4TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 500GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • Maybe because I started the manual update too fast after installing the system.

Just logged in and directly started to manually update via web GUI. Now after waiting a bit it has been ok so far.

First error occurs while installing the LUKS Plugin:
      update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.14.94-odroidxu4
      E: busybox or busybox-static, version 1:1.22.0-17~ or later, is required but not installed
      update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.14.94-odroidxu4 with 1.
      dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
      subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      Processing triggers for openmediavault (4.1.19-1) ...
      Updating locale files ...
      Updating file permissions ...
      Purging internal cache ...
      Restarting engine daemon ...
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      initramfs-tools

>>> *************** Error ***************

<<< *************************************

<<< *************************************

• budpad wrote:

So you don't like the HC2 anymore?
      The HC2 is the only device from Hardkernel really suited for the NAS use case. The HC1 is almost the same but due to 5V powering prone to undervoltage.

Every other of their products they advertise for 'storage' (Cloudshell 1 and 2) are IMO a disaster and how they designed their new H2 x86 thingy is just a joke: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=173&t=33319#p245457 (if you can read in almost every 3.5" HDD data sheet that these things need up to 2A spinup current on the 12V rail how can you design a DCDC converter with a 2.2A limit for both disks together and then only test with disks from one HDD manufacturer?)
    • tkaiser wrote:

Just like @troublem4keR reported at the start of this thread. When updating an Armbian kernel package initramfs-cleanup will be called and here the error messages seems to originate (no idea why).
      Just found out, that it could be because of the LUKS plugin?
      Have a look at: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=30552

From my understanding: Cryptsetup needs Busybox as a recommended package. And you need Cryptsetup for LUKS (what I'm using).

Maybe @Adoby isn't using the plugin?
    • tkaiser wrote:

So maybe the LUKS plugin should also install the cryptsetup package's recommends (like busybox)? Since I never dealt with those plugins maybe @ryecoaaron knows?
      The plugin can't decide to install the recommends and OMV doesn't install the recommends (that could get ugly). The only thing I can do is add it to the plugin's depends list for that architecture (since it isn't needed for x86 from what I have seen).
      omv 4.1.19 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • tkaiser wrote:

Your screenshot shows kernel 4.9 and an uptime of 11 minutes. So your installation has no working Internet access since otherwise on first boot all packages (kernel included) would've been updated and you would be running kernel 4.14 already.
      Are you sure, that this does work? Do have proper internet connection - but no update by itself...? Already waited 18 minutes - then I tried my first GUI Login - but still no update.

LAN Connection is 100% perfect.
    • budpad wrote:

Just found out, that it could be because of the LUKS plugin?Have a look at: forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=30552

From my understanding: Cryptsetup needs Busybox as a recommended package. And you need Cryptsetup for LUKS (what I'm using).

Maybe @Adoby isn't using the plugin?
      No, I don't.