OMV + KODI or any video player problems

• Hi guys,I'm new to OMV ,I just builded a Nas with Openmediavolt following all the YouTube tutorials and reading this forum, I need to use it with kodi...and that's where the problems starts... network streaming from Openmediavolt via cable seems to be very slow with Kodi not able to skip forward and stopping playback after few minutes..but when Kodi is connected to my Synology Nas 4k streaming works perfectly.
    If I acces OMV using windows 10 network sharing and open a video file using any windows players apps it will play but not able to skip forward and it will stop playback few minutes later. If I do the same accesing my Synology playback and skip forward is instant . WiFi up and down speeds between OVM and my laptop are about 70mbs .Any suggestions? Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is running on a Asus p5b deluxe motherboard +core 2 duo E7200 cpu ....,file transfer speed seams ok ...but playback of video isn't. Thanks

Ok, comparing that with my own which is an HP N54L with an Amd Turion II then there is possibley another hardware issue.

I have Emby running in docker on OMV and a Pi Kodi box, the server is upstairs and the Pi down, Kodi uses an Emby plugin that sync's with Emby, I don't experience any playback issues. Likewise on my W10 workstation using VLC and playing a film via SMB I can pause, fast forward, rewind and it's instantaneous.

So this is either hardware related, network or the setup of OMV

• Been trying everything...but no luck ,cpu is only at1 to 2% when the video is planning on my W10...,but like I said transfers speed are at around 70mbs ...what setting can stop a video to be accessed quickly? File system is ex4. And cannot skip back to even if that part of the video as already been played.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

• During the installation ovm asked me to choose between three network connections (my motherboard has on-board Wi-Fi.. and 2x network ports) . They Wi-Fi was not obviously the one to choose.. the other two ports where named differently but motherboard specs says they are both gigabit ports,.. so my question is can tell ovm to use the other network port without reinstalling ovm again? Trying to see if I may have chosen the wrong Port during installation. Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

They Wi-Fi was not obviously the one to choose

No, if that is what you are using, this should be connected to Ethernet, connect Ethernet on the port next to the Audio Sockets, then you will need to run omv-firstaid from the command line; however if you do this via SSH you will lose connection once the configuration has started, this best done with a keyboard and monitor attached.
    In omv-firstaid I think it's option 1 Configure Network interface.

• I will use a second ssd and reinstall ovm again and will choose a different network port and let's see what happens., , I will use a different HDD as the one installed with the data is same age of motherboard but I doubt it is the problem as it been sleeping in garage without use for all this year's.

• update : i tried a sdd and same problem ,video starts play ok but cannot skip forward or back,i notice that when the video starts to play the read/write led light blinks every couple of seconds.....if i click to skip 5 minute forward the led will blink repetitively ...so it seems to read the data...but the video will take ages to skip forward. going mad ,

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sorry but the information is about as helpful as a chocolate teapot, have you connected the Asus to Ethernet, doing a simple large file transfer will give you an idea if there is any improvement. What's the video format, mp4, mkv, is it 4k, my drive light will show activity but it's not excessive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed 4.0 to to check if was a problem with 5.0 but same problem.

Then you are down to some sort of hardware issue, somewhere, because if it works from the Synology then it will work on OMV.

EDIT: I would agree with @Adoby I have a mixture of mp4 and mkv both behave the same whether they are played on Kodi or VLC on my workstaion, or iOS.

• Hi

I see that this has been mentinoed before. I aslo just went from synology to nanopiM4V2+OMV5.

I have the same exact problems now, that before was non exitent.

Kody (openelec) does not play any movies again. It starts but after few seconds video stops and this is it.

Is there maybe SMB problems that I`m using or should I search problems elsvere?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there maybe SMB problems

I use Kodi, it's running on Pi3B using LibreElec never had a problem, Kodi uses a plugin to communicate with my Emby server, my son uses the same but he has his films on an external drive and it works.

I can connect to OMV and access SMB shares through a TV which has it's own media player, that plays fine, I can run VLC from any PC or iOS and it plays fine.

Most issues are related to either networking or the format of the files and the only way to resolve anything like this is a process of elimination, but as far as Kodi is concerned it's the most robust media client I've used. TBH I don't need to use Emby as a server I could just connect Kodi to the SMB shares.

• I use Kodi, it's running on Pi3B using LibreElec never had a problem, Kodi uses a plugin to communicate with my Emby server, my son uses the same but he has his films on an external drive and it works.

I can connect to OMV and access SMB shares through a TV which has it's own media player, that plays fine, I can run VLC from any PC or iOS and it plays fine.

Most issues are related to either networking or the format of the files and the only way to resolve anything like this is a process of elimination, but as far as Kodi is concerned it's the most robust media client I've used. TBH I don't need to use Emby as a server I could just connect Kodi to the SMB shares.

Like you mentioned, I dont use server, I just use RPI3 with Librelec/Kodi conecting to SMB share where my movies are. Dont know what to look for...

Like I said before, Kodi with SMB shares on Synology worked without any hickups or problems. Now I`m connecting to OMV the same way and just using Shared folder there, no server or anything and Kodi is not working anymore.

I`m talking about the same files. I stop using Synology few days ago and start using OMV on NanopiM4V2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you access and play a file through VLC either on windows or linux

Try adding a network location in Kodi instead of browsing something like smb://<ip address of omv>/<sharename>

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!