NAS Build, HP Microserver N54L + 4 x 3TB Seagate NAS Drives

• Hey Guys

I'm currently re building my NAS from scratch with some new drives.
    It is a HP Microserver N54L with 4 x 3TB Seagate NAS drives for storage.
    The server will hold various file types, Movies, Music, Photos, Software, Streaming to XBMC etc.....

I want to set this up in Raid 5. What are your recommendations for achieving this? filesystems to use? raid to use? etc.

Is there a thread available with a step by step guide including the tuning?

Cheers
    Brenton

• RAID5, before your create the filesystem wait until the raid is initialized, otherwise you will add much time to the initiation process.
    Mostly big files? Then XFS. Others would recommend Ext4 maybe.

Tuning the raid array is somewhere here in the forum, maybe Ryecoaaron will post about that.

Which seagate drives are this?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hillarious. Even Seagate claims they only do good in 1-5 bays...

But nevertheless, I would've prefered the WD over Seagate. How much did you pay for one HDD?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Put:

echo 8192 > /sys/block/md126/md/stripe_cache_size

into /etc/rc.local

Change md126 to match your array number.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OK, so i have made the raid 5 array using the webgui, i have also created the ext4 file system. i put the tuning command in using telnet.

transfering some movies from a windows 7 machine on gigabit network i'm only getting speeds of 55mb/sec, any ideas to get speeds up?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think you need lvm. That is the only tuning I have on my array array. What are the specs of the Win7 machine?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!