[Resolved]Greyhole, SnapRAID-One big array storage possible?

• Hello all geeks!

I try somehow to create a single large hard drive with all my hard drives available. First is this possible with Greyhole? And / or with SnapRAID?

I like Greyhole for its disk management which is very similar to unRAID server and my goal would be to manage a large array like unRAID, or any other system RAID 5, 6, etc. .. Or have I just missed a step in my configuration? Did I miss something?

Is this possible and if so can you please tell me the way? I have a good base under ubuntu (cli), even if I am in my first experience with Debian, it does not seem very different, normal will you tell me :)

I tested nearly any OS available for NAS and my choice stopped on OMV is in my opinion one of the best NAS system, the only thing I miss is that.

Can you enlighten me please?

regard's

NeurOSick

NeurOSick
    Hardware ASRock N68C-GS, AMD FX-4100 8GB RAM
    OMV3 Distro + OMV-Extra + Docker + OpenVPN = Unlimited possibilities!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NeurOSick ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

greyhole offers pooling and redundancy.
    snapraid offers redundancy and read only pooling.
    aufs offers pooling.
    snapraid and aufs are similar to greyhole.

Yes, it is possible with greyhole or snapraid+aufs. There is a plugin (third party - omv-extras.org) for all of these options.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• yes I have the plugins installed. But I do not see how I can create a single large hard drive with all my hard drives under Greyhole. If I create a SMB Share I have no choice but to select a hard drive in the list. I do not have one large hard drive where I can create my folders. Yet I mount all my hard disk, then I added to my Greyhole Pool. But then? What am I doing wrong?

tanks

NeurOSick

• You can easily use greyhole+snapraid. I've been doing that for a year or 2. I use greyhole simply for pooling and snapraid for "duplication". If your using snapraid, you do NOT need to use greyholes duplication (ie, set the number of copies).

NeurOSick, I don't have my OMV interface in front of me at the moment... but something like:

(note, this is all of the top of my head)

* create SMB shares (when you do this you specify the hard drive where your "landing zone" (lz) will be... read about what it is here: https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole_landing_zone and here: https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/wiki/AboutLZ).
    * setup a greyhole pool and add your other drives to your pool, then add your pool to your SMB share (I think this is how it works, I'll have to look when I get home). (since your using snapraid as well... set the number of copies to 1)

You can setup as many SMB shares as you wish. All of those shares can use your drives... each one would work like a large pool.

Just remember, if you want to access your pool (your "one large drive") from OMV server, you need to mount samba locally on that server. It seems weird... but do it. You don't want to write directly to your greyhole DRIVES, you want to write to the mounted SMB share. Here is a script that does that very well: https://github.com/gboudreau/G…e/wiki/MountSharesLocally

• wow tank you very much that0n3guy, this is exactly what i'm searching for. I'll try that!

NeurOSick

• No prob. I'm going to be doing a full writeup soon. The most confusing part of it is the "mount shares locally" thing. It seems weird to people at first.

I personally like greyhole a lot. It has always worked well and I've not had issues with it. I can't say the same for aufs (see http://zackreed.me/articles/84…view=comments#comment_216 for some aufs querks).

I've also not had any performance issues w/ greyhole, which make sense because its basically just reading/writing from a single drive without much overhead (just samba overhead mostly). I can max out my home gigabit (90MB/s reads, 75MB/s writes... which is pretty good on cheap consumer equipment... and my system is virtualized in xenserver) and can max out my drive speed if writing locally.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "that0n3guy"

I can't say the same for aufs (see http://zackreed.me/articles/84…view=comments#comment_216 for some aufs querks).

I don't have any of those problems. Sounds like create=pmfs wasn't used and udba was set to reval. If you used the pmfs option and set udba to notify, I'd be curious to see if the problems still exist.

That being said, I usually recommend it for media collections. If you are creating/deleting directories that much, you should be using raid 5 instead.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Ok, I do have some questions .. here is my configuration

Creation of the user via OMV and i've created the user folder on the /home/neurosick (for the script)

1) I have mounted 4 drives for the test..

the first drive is for the LZ named bignancy (largest drive available) for the shared folders

2) I have added my other 3 drives (named candy, lucie and olivia) on Greyhole for the pool.

3) create share folder /Music for the test on the hard drive bignancy (root)

4) installation of the script and start the deamon.. now the folder Music is available localy on /mnt/samba/music

And now, I'm stuck .. what's next? What way the files are transferred to the pool?

tanks

NeurOSick

• Ok all work fine now! My problem came from a bad configuration of MySQL.
    Tank you very much for your help that0n3guy! It really appreciated!

regards

NeurOSick

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I don't have any of those problems. Sounds like create=pmfs wasn't used and udba was set to reval. If you used the pmfs option and set udba to notify, I'd be curious to see if the problems still exist.

That being said, I usually recommend it for media collections. If you are creating/deleting directories that much, you should be using raid 5 instead.

I usually don't recommend raid 5 to people home since they don't usually have a UPS and there is usually not point in spinning all the drives and killing them quicker.

As for AUFS, I mostly started staying away from it b/c of custom kernal tweaks, exclusion from future kernels and such (not a for sure thing). Greyhole just works for me and was simple.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "that0n3guy"

I usually don't recommend raid 5 to people home since they don't usually have a UPS

Not having a UPS may be typical for the average home user but I think they are much more common with people creating their own NAS. We definitely recommend them with OMV - Raid 5 or not.

Zitat von "that0n3guy"

there is usually not point in spinning all the drives and killing them quicker.

In my opinion, starting/stopping the drive often is harder on them than idling especially if you are using a 24/7 NAS-rated drive. Also, read/writes contribute to wear and drives in a raid 5 array have less read/writes the more drives you add (obviously not with the parity drive though).

Zitat von "that0n3guy"

As for AUFS, I mostly started staying away from it b/c of custom kernal tweaks, exclusion from future kernels and such (not a for sure thing).

How often do see things removed from the linux kernel? I really don't think aufs is going to be removed. And as long as you don't explicitly disable aufs in your kernel config, your custom kernels shouldn't have a problem either.

Zitat von "that0n3guy"

Greyhole just works for me and was simple.

I like Greyhole (wouldn't have ported and added to the plugin if I didn't :) ) but I think AUFS is better for large, relatively static media collections.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

How often do see things removed from the linux kernel? I really don't think aufs is going to be removed. And as long as you don't explicitly disable aufs in your kernel config, your custom kernels shouldn't have a problem either.

I like Greyhole (wouldn't have ported and added to the plugin if I didn't :) ) but I think AUFS is better for large, relatively static media collections.

AUFS (with NFS export enabled) is already a pain to install in lots of other OS's (including 12.04).

Also, large static media collections is what greyhole was made for. So it works very well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why is it a pain? It obviously isn't a pain with the plugin... Not sure why any other OS matters...

Greyhole was not made for large static media collections. It is very good at keeping multiple copies of files and keeping files safe. Most systems do not have the space for multiple copies of their media collection. I have 7tb of movies. I don't have room for for even one duplicate copy of every video. aufs isn't about backup or even redundancy. It just makes multiple drives look like one. If you are using greyhole for just pooling, you are missing the point of greyhole.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Not having a UPS may be typical for the average home user but I think they are much more common with people creating their own NAS. We definitely recommend them with OMV - Raid 5 or not.

In my opinion, starting/stopping the drive often is harder on them than idling especially if you are using a 24/7 NAS-rated drive. Also, read/writes contribute to wear and drives in a raid 5 array have less read/writes the more drives you add (obviously not with the parity drive though).

That is false. Raid 5 distributes the parity over all drives, not just one dedicated drive! Raid 4 has a dedicated parity drive, see https://upload.wikimedia.org/w…a/commons/6/64/RAID_5.svg and https://upload.wikimedia.org/w…a/commons/a/ad/RAID_4.svg.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I doubt that aufs will be removed from the kernel, too. Linux Containers heavily rely on it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

That is false. Raid 5 distributes the parity over all drives, not just one dedicated drive!

You are right. I had snapraid in my head :) It is definitely true that the more drives you have in an array, the less data is written to each drive.

write 100 mb file on 3 drive raid 5 = write 50 mb on each drive
    write 100 mb file on 9 drive raid 5 = write 12.5 mb on each drive

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!