NFS mount working but can't create folder

• i'm trying to get some NFS magic happen between a Ubuntu server 12.04 and omv 0.5

I can get my mount point up and running on my client. I can ls the mount directory and see content on the server. But i can't create folders IE write data to the mount point..

When i try to make a folder with sudo mkdir /mnt/folder I get permission denied.. I have given the ip of the client read write access to the share.

anyone got any clue what im missing here? I will gladly provide more data if you need it..

Thanks

Casper

About me:

8 years experince as a IT consultant both filling the role as gerneral IT guy for small business to the role as expert within network, IT security, Storage and Virtualization
    Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT
    Webpage: http://www.dingit.dk

• What username are you using on your Ubuntu system?

NFS write permissions are being granted on UID/GID basis so the best would be to have the user on your Ubuntu system set up on OMV as well using the same uid. At least it should work to add the Ubuntu user to group 'users' . On Ubuntu the default group uses the same name as the user name and GID starts at 1000. On OMW 0.5 the default group is 'users' (GID 100).

Otherwise you need to "open up" your share/file permissions to give r/w access to others which I would not recommend.

Does this make sense?

OMV 2.x - Kralizec // Hardware: HP Microserver N54L, 4GB RAM, 2x3TB WD Red - RAID 1, Sandisk SSD 60GB for system

• yes i set the read write permission in the web ui...

yes i have a user in my omw that has the same username and password as the root user on my ubuntu which is username offerlam and password i'm not gonna post here :P

About me:

8 years experince as a IT consultant both filling the role as gerneral IT guy for small business to the role as expert within network, IT security, Storage and Virtualization
    Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• ah got some more info that might help...

this is the mount command i use:

offerlam@UTClient02:~$ sudo mount -t nfs -o rsize=65536,wsize=65536 172.16.99.244:/Offerlam/ /mnt/XXXXX

this is the response:
    mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting (null)

i can do ls /mnt/XXXX and see the data on server but still not make any folders... Hope the error above gives a clue?

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Makes me wonder why the command even works when you type in the wrong mount path.

Code
    172.16.99.244:/export/Offerlam/

Should be correct.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "offerlam"

yes i set the read write permission in the web ui...

yes i have a user in my omw that has the same username and password as the root user on my ubuntu which is username offerlam and password i'm not gonna post here :P

Ok, you are using a user which is named the same way on both systems but do they also have the same UID? With NFS that might be important. That's why I wrote it might be helpful to add the user on Ubuntu to group 'users' and grant r/w permissions on OMV to this group. As Ubuntu is Debian based there should be a group 'users' with GID 100 as well. By default user accounts on OMV 0.5 do have 'users' as their default group.

Just my two cents.

OMV 2.x - Kralizec // Hardware: HP Microserver N54L, 4GB RAM, 2x3TB WD Red - RAID 1, Sandisk SSD 60GB for system

• Hi Guyes!!

sorry for my long feedback but i had to go into surgery and recover and all that jazz..

so using the path ip/export/foldername solved my issue...

and now another came up.. cause now i can create folders but not files from the client to omv.. any ideas???

a BIG thank you to davidh2k for solving what was to be my first issue...

THANKS

Casper

PS to confirm.. i login to the server with same username and password as the user in omw that got read write access to the folder... but perhaps it the root user that is being used or??

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• 'stat /path/to/sharedfolder
    stat /path/to/sharedfolder/folderyoucreated'

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi David

Im unsure how you want me to implement the command.. is it on the server or client?

of cause i have tried both places with

Server:

/media/a77fdd0b-c97b-43c7-a5b8-7533205156c8/torrent

Code
    root@NAS01:/media/a77fdd0b-c97b-43c7-a5b8-7533205156c8/torrent# 'stat /media/a77fdd0b-c97b-43c7-a5b8-7533205156c8/torrent
    >

and client:

/mnt/torrent/test

Code
    offerlam@Torrent01:~$ stat /mnt/torrent/test'
    > ^C
    offerlam@Torrent01:~$

its like somethings missing in the comand you posted? or maybe im holding it wrong :P

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• Pardon me, I should've used code boxes rather than giving you something you could copy paste and use in the wrong way.

You copied over the single quotation marks in front and in the end...

So do it without them and you'll get the output I want, oh and I mean it on the server side.

Greetings
    David

• and why didn't i think of trying without the quotes :)

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• So you can create folders, but not files? <- technically not possible to my knowledge.

Can you create files within your created folder?

Greetings
    David

• sorry my bad.. its both folders and files though i have a test folder which is can swear i did from the client... but now at least its both folders and files..

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• You user has write priviliges set? Under permissions, not ACL?

Do your users have the same name on NAS and Client? UID the same too?

Greetings
    David

• My user offerlam has read/write for this folder...

and yes my uid is the same.. BUT - in my mount command on the client I use sudo... could that be the problem? also in that mount command i don't declare any username or passwords..

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• You don't need to declare a password or username with nfs. The UID will be used.

But sudo will be a problem if it is changing the evironment to root instead of your user. That way the UID will differ and you will not get the permissions you would expect.

So, find out how you mount it without sudo, or how you use sudo to keep the users environment instead of roots environment.

Greetings
    David

• David this is fucked up..

now i have the problem again where i can make a directory but i can't create a file test.txt og even make a file in temp and than move it to the mount point..

so i was right.. i can only create folders on the mount location...

does this change anything in regards to the sudo thing from before?

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• and i can't move the test.txt from the temp folder to/mnt/torrent either..

About me:

Located in Denmark
    CEO of Ding IT

• You're not consistent with your sudo use. The latter errors just say it can not remove your temp file, normal because it was created with root rights and you move it without, therefore it can't be deleted in the origin.

So get it right where to use sudo and where not, I wouldn't use it at all except for mounting the share maybe, tough this should work without sudo too.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!