Snapraid drive failure

• So one of the reasons why people don't recommend raid 5 anymore is because if a 2nd drive fails during a rebuild (not unlikely to happen, apparently), then you lose your data

If you have snapraid set up with 1 parity drive, what happens to the array/your data if a second drive fails at that point? In other words, is it safe to run only 1 parity drive with snapraid or are 2 still recommended (as in the case with raid 5/6)?

• When a second drive fails, you loose the data which is stored on this drive. BUT you keep the data you have on your working drives.

so the second drive data is lost, but the first failed drive is still recovered correctly?

• Nope. If a second Data drive failes the parity is - to my knowledge - worthless since it can't rebuild against two missing drives. Only Raid6 can do that (SnapRAID has a similiar option for 2 or more parity drives.).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• With 1 (one) Parity-drive, you can only restore 1 (one) Data-disk.
    http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/faq.html#diffraid
    from the manual:

Zitat

It's able to recover damages only from a limited number of disks. With a Backup you are able to recover from a complete failure of the whole disk array.

• Sorry to get this thread alive again after some years. I'm planning to use SnapRAID plugin and I'm worried about something that other people are also afraid of.
    I had a look around and Googling here and there, I went to a SourceForge page where @Solo0815 was also present. I'm worried about running the sync command daily as a cron job and having a disk failure and thus, having a corrupted-data syncing to the content and parity disk.
    I'm not very friendly with coding and I read in that thread that someone had done a little script to avoid a sync command if a disk failed. After that, 'solo' appeared and told (or I understood) that the SnapRAID plugin has yet implemented this.
    So since I'm not a native English, I would like to have some clarification about that.

Thanks in advance.

Guillem.

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!