New Installation of OMV

• Hi

Just popped my OMV cherry - installed it onto a USB stick to serve as the OS for a backup server I've put together from old(ish) parts, however since then I've read that installation onto a USB stick is not a good idea due to the number of writes killing off the stick fairly quickly. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Bearing in mind that I want a NAS solution that is fairly low maintenance (I'm going to automate everything so it turns on, is backed up to by my main rig and main NAS and then turns itself off again daily) I guess running OMV from a 'proper' hard drive would be best?

If that is the case, is it possible to simply copy / clone the installation across from the USB stick to a SATA hard drive or would a fresh install be best? I've not actually begun using OMV, just been setting it up to run correctly and be on / off when I want it to be so a new install wouldn't be too tedious

Thanks in advance

GK

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "GeorgeK"

Hi

Just popped my OMV cherry - installed it onto a USB stick to serve as the OS for a backup server I've put together from old(ish) parts, however since then I've read that installation onto a USB stick is not a good idea due to the number of writes killing off the stick fairly quickly. Can anyone elaborate on this?

What is there to elaborate on? It is what it is. Installing to a USB stick is a good way to make a USB stick last about 2 weeks.

Best solution... Get a small hard drive (either a spare, or "small" laptop hard drives can be had on ebay pretty easily) and put OMV there.

As for your cloning idea... That could work.. but I don't have a lot of experience cloning small drives, to larger drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The USB stick dies quickly because they have a limited number of writes. OMV does quite a bit of logging to the system drive and hits this number quickly.

You could clone it (use dd and might have to change settings) but it would probably be better to start fresh.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "KM0201"

What is there to elaborate on? It is what it is. Installing to a USB stick is a good way to make a USB stick last about 2 weeks.

Best solution... Get a small hard drive (either a spare, or "small" laptop hard drives can be had on ebay pretty easily) and put OMV there.

Thanks for that - didn't realise that it could kill off the drive quite that quickly! I've taken your advice and have a second hand 120GB 2.5" drive on the way to me :D

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You could clone it (use dd and might have to change settings) but it would probably be better to start fresh.

I thought that it might be easier to just start from scratch, not like the install is that onerous in the first place... I'll just need to write down the settings I've altered...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!