Replace esata HDD

• I'm on OMV 1.19 and with the following setup:

sda 1TB esata external data disc for rsnapshots from sdc/sdd
    sdb 1TB OMV system
    sdc 2TB data disc
    sdd 2TB data disc
    sdc/sdd in RAID

Currently the sda esata disc increases heavily in temperature and I expect disc failure soon.

What would be the correct order to replace/migrate the sda physical disc?
    (Couldn't find an easy description in forum...)

Is it a problem that the esata is sda...I don't want something to mess up my RAID when unmounting and restarting system without sda...?
    Would it be better to remove the esata disc and clone a new disc with clonezilla...?

/Henrik Rydberg
    Sweden

(esata as sda wasn't really on purpose...system suddenly exchanged sda system disc to sda esata...)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Currently the sda esata disc increases heavily in temperature and I expect disc failure soon

I would look at smart values of the disk to assess if is failing or close to it

What would be the correct order to replace/migrate the sda physical disc

Plug the new disk and mirror all the contents from the old disk. Rsync is a good tool for this
    Before removing you need to dereference all shared folders from the disk, that means delete the folder configurations at omv, not the contents (BE CAREFUL THERE). After that the umount button in OMV should ungray, that mean you can press it and remove the disk.

Is it a problem that the esata is sda...I don't want something to mess up my RAID when unmounting and restarting system without sda

Modern linux systems don't use /dev/sdX for mounting devices, you can still do it if you want, but the classic /etc/fstab file uses UUID numbers now to mount drives, to avoid problems like you mention.

• Thanks for the reply. It's actually the part...
    "Before removing you need to dereference all shared folders from the disk, that means delete the folder configurations at omv, not the contents (BE CAREFUL THERE). After that the umount button in OMV should ungray, that mean you can press it and remove the disk."
    ...that I am concerned with. What would it mean paractically!?' In the sda esata I really only have one main folder I care about, that is the backup folder where all rsnapshot jobs go.

Shoud I, as part of "delete OMV configurations":
    - inactivate or remove the esata backup folder smb share!?
    - inactivate or remove all rsnapshot jobs with esata destination!?
    - do something in Access Rights management "shared folders"!?
    - inactivate or keep users rights to the esata disc!?
    - remove smart jobs pointing to esata!?
    - unmount sda1 i File systems
    ...turn down the system, swap the disc, mount the new one and then set it all up in the opposite order...!?

Sorry, but i'm really in the need for detailed instruction here since I want to make sure I dont mess things up.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!