PXE-provided images not showing on remote PC on boot?

• As I said, don't set first/last IP Address. In your picture, you have it set. Don't set lease network either.

What would be the meaning of this PXE-E52 error?

Sounds like it receivese the PXE Server option but the standard DHCP request isn't answered/redirected correctly.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Of course the modem's DHCP server was disabled during the test.

That should still be enabled.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• @subzero79: yes it was enabled. See screenshot.

@davidh2k: I was sure that running two DHCP servers on the same LAN was a big no-no. I tried it with modem's DHCP and OMV's DHCP servers enabled (with options as set in the screenshot), and it booted!
    The problem was, OMV lost internet connectivity and could only serve to LAN. I still don't get why or how leaving the modem's DHCP server turned on would allow PXE boot.

I like the idea of providing a list of installable images as this is a big plus over other PXEs such as in Synology, but I would hope there's a Kali image added

Now, I would like the PXE server to stay on and available, without breaking OMV's internet access, and without having to change DHCP settings manually. What are the options passed by OMV's DHCP server the modem doesn't provide?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What are the options passed by OMV's DHCP server the modem doesn't provide?

There are not passed in the form of dhcp code in the configuration, this is where i get lost. The options are there, you can read the dnsmasq.d/omv.conf a it will show the same as the panel, and you will see them not as code but directive.
    I am guessing you need to go into dnsmasq source code to see what are the options passed when you use "dhcp-boot" directive.

If you read the man for dhcpd.conf (another dhcp server) the ISC server, pxe is also passed as a directive doesn't show the option code.

• Here is the code

<a href="https://github.com/guns/dnsmasq/blob/fe3d87f8ccd942f4478efdfbc3a7ca5aeedcc0d9/src/dhcp-protocol.h" class="externalURL" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">github.com/guns/dnsmasq/blob/f…cc0d9/src/dhcp-protocol.h</a>

The options match the ones we discussed before, 66 for the ip of the server and 67 for the file pxelinux.0

Not sure I understsand this code fully. Does dnsmasq passes other options that are not part of the modem's answer?

The only other difference seems to be in /etc/dnsmasq.d/omv.conf, where dhcp-option=15,"lan" would instead be "Home" when the modem's DHCP answers. Still, I don't see why nor how it would make a difference.

• I was sure that running two DHCP servers on the same LAN was a big no-no. I tried it with modem's DHCP and OMV's DHCP servers enabled (with options as set in the screenshot), and it booted!

That's because you only use the DHCPproxy option on OpenMediaVault.

The problem was, OMV lost internet connectivity and could only serve to LAN.

I told you earlier, this will happen until you put nameserver 192.168.x.x and maybe nameserver 8.8.8.8 to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail. Then either reboot or restart networking. Internet is working again, permanently.

I still don't get why or how leaving the modem's DHCP server turned on would allow PXE boot.

The DHCPproxy is detected additonaly to your normal DHCP Server, but that doesn't interfere with the DHCP Server itself.

Now, I would like the PXE server to stay on and available, without breaking OMV's internet access, and without having to change DHCP settings manually.

See above fix, that'll do.

Greetings
    David

• I don't get the difference between proxyDHCP and regular DHCP. Do both need to be present for PXE to work?

Well, I said it boots, in the sense that a menu is presented with all available images, but selecting any other than Universal Boot CD leads to an error. I get repeated messages of

Code
    nfsmount: need a path

Could the APPEND line be incorrect?

Code
    initrd=gparted/0.21.0-1/live/x86_64/initrd.img boot=live config union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=788 netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.12:<Your_NFS_Export>/gparted/0.21.0-1/live/x86_64 --

It seems to get lost right at this point.

• Do both need to be present for PXE to work?

If you can't specify it on your real DHCP, yes.

<Your_NFS_Export>

You need to fill that one in. So probably replace it by /export/pxeimages or whatever you called it. Also remember that you have to actually share your images via NFS for this to work...

Greetings
    David

• If you can't specify it on your real DHCP, yes.

So how would I do that on the normal DHCP server?

Zitat

You need to fill that one in. So probably replace it by /export/pxeimages or whatever you called it. Also remember that you have to actually share your images via NFS for this to work...

I didn't call it anything. I just let the images assistant do its job of downloading, decompressing files and adding the relevant entries. Does this assistant enables NFS as necessary?

• Offizieller Beitrag

the proxy dhcp is aimed to assist pxe finding when a other dhcp server is present. There is no point in specifying it in the main one, since it should be the pxe option entered there that should engage with pxe.
    You already know that this does not work in your router somehow.

the download of templates do not configure the nfs server for you.
    You'll need to do that by yourself

• So how would I do that on the normal DHCP server?

I can't tell you that. You need to figure that out for yourself.

I didn't call it anything. I just let the images assistant do its job of downloading, decompressing files and adding the relevant entries. Does this assistant enables NFS as necessary?

You set up your TFTP Share. Thats the one you need to share via NFS. Then fill in the correct path like I told you earlier.

Greetings
    David

• Still no success, same E52 error. My config is:

Of course the modem's DHCP server was disabled during the test.

If the modem's DHCP server is disabled and you are hoping to use DNSMasq as the sole DHCP for the local subnet... remove the second line in Extra Options (dhcp=range=). The proxy directive is telling DNSMasq to ignore requests for IP Addresses and only respond to network boot requests. If the client never successfully gets an IP address upon initial boot, it will never make the network boot request.

The OMV PXE "Setup Info" tab does not explain this...The 1st two lines in Extra Options in the example only apply if you are using DNSMasq for network boot only. If you are using DNSMasq as a DNS server, remove the port=0 Extra Option, If you are using DNSMasq to issue IP Addresses, remove the dhcp-range= line.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!