Help needed for a fresh install and updates

• Ok I just got to know OMV and got all excited but I'm still having a lot of problems out of the box with this system...

I'm installing it in a fresh formated HD on an Dell Optiplex 210L specs:

Intell Celeron D 2.8 Ghz with x64bit support
    2GB ram
    160 GB WD HD 7200rpm SATA

First of all I downloaded the 2.X stable iso from the official website and got myself installing it...
    Ok first problem apears... GRUB... ok went with LILO....
    Finish installation second problem, system tells me I got no ethernet card... Went to my Router, saw my Mac adress there, gave a static IP, even not showing system is accessing.... ok... bypass...
    Got to Update section, selected all, and update.... Fails, give me all sort of erros no matter what I've try... Apparently all my packages are wrong? out of the box? Ok maybe coz Jessie is out and this is a Wheezy install it got my packages wrong but out of the box? c'mon...

Ok tried a new method of install... installed debian 7 got another guide from this forum, error too, packages again...

At this point I'm coming to anyone here to ask me how do I fresh install this? After all I want OMV for its NAS stability and simplicity with plugins for my media server... click install baaaam, done... At this point I'm almost regretting formatting my dabian 8 install... But I still wanna believe OMV can be a good thing.... Can anyone tell me how to fresh install and get no updates problems out of the box?

Hope to hear from you guys soon, thanks in advance

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von jgganeto () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• Ok, just realized maybe this is not an installation problem (it should be though after all is out of the box) but I've found a "Update" section on this forum... Should I post this message there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Grub - are you installing from a usb stick?

Network card - did you assume it didn't find the network card because it didn't have an address listed on the boot screen? If you are using dhcp, the system doesn't get an ip address until after the motd is shown. If you login as root and look at the output of ifconfig, it will show you the address.

Once you have an address, you can go to the web interface and update. I don't know what you mean by packages being "wrong"? If it can't find packages, you may need to set your dns.

OMV works out of the box every time for me on lots of systems. If you post actual output, I can probably help more.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks for a quick reply... I'm going for another install try and I'll give you the post message of updates... I've followed all guides in this forum trying to fix it at the first time... i'm burning my USB again gimme a sec :D

Already loving the quick community help... I guess i did good sticking with OMV!!!! :)

• Sounds like a problem, one guy here in Germany had recently. During the installation, you have to choose a mirror server, from where actual updates for debian are pulled.

So I went for this files:
    openmediavault_2.1_amd64.iso
    from sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/

copy to bootable Flash-drive (USB) or just easier, burn it on CD-Rom if your Dell has CD-Rom and let it run.
    After this:

openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all.deb
    from omv-extras.org/simple/index.php?id=how-to-install-omv-extras-plugin
    to be installed inside OMV.

Whats wrong with Grub?
    OM-installation will copy itself on your 160GB-hdd and sets all parameter for Grub. Please be aware that this hdd is only for system, you need additional hdd's for data. (there are tricks to utilize free space on system, but I wouldn't do it in the beginning).

If you are installing with Flash-drive and problems with Grub remain, you can do the following:
    Do the installation until the routine wants to install Grub (very late). At this moment pull out the stick, so that the hdd is the only drive in your computer. Normally this workaround helps to write Grub on the correct drive.

erik

• Call me crazy but now everything with the installation even GRUB was ok... Amazingly we will never known for sure... even updates went well now...

SOLUTION GUESS >>>>>>

Maybe the thing was that I didn't set up a static IP first or clicked the button verify on updates section prior to update button itself... maybe those were the problems...

I guess I'll close this post as complete!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good to hear :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I hava another problem now... OMV used the hole disk for the installation... I don't have another one atm... anyone knows how to partition this thing? should I post another question in the forums?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Boot gparted-live and resize the OS partition. You can either move the swap partion and create a third partition -or- delete the swap partition and create a new swap and third partition (requires fixing fstab). Once you have the third partition created, format it (ext4 or xfs work) and then you will be able to mount it in the OMV web interface allowing shared folders to be created on it.

• Boot gparted-live and resize the OS partition. You can either move the swap partion and create a third partition -or- delete the swap partition and create a new swap and third partition (requires fixing fstab). Once you have the third partition…

Thank you so much for all your help! I'm happy to find such a nice community!!!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!