SMART says "bad" drive

• So I'm new to OMV and file servers. I have 2x Samsung 2TB drives I have taken from a previous synology NAS to add to my new custom built NAS. These are a couple years old. The Smart status is set to red one one of them and I don't know why. The other one is green. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I be concerned about something? Planning to use these 2x drives as a RAID mirror.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's a new feature and it probably needs some polishing. The red flag might be because the current pending sector, maybe it should be yellow just a warning to observe the values in the next days. Check in the few days the reallocated sector count starts increasing.

In general before a disk starts getting uncorrectable sectors, the disk reallocates bads ones to spare ones. This is a warning, during that period you should of course purchase a new replacement unit before the uncorrectable errors happens, otherwise it leads to data corruption.

So again observe in the new days the values 5,197 and 198 which are the most important ones. Read the backblaze blog if you want interesting information about smart.

• OK, thanks for the info. Any suggestions for SMART tests to add into the schedule? Like a daily short test, weekly long test for each drive or something like that? Is that even necessary?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any suggestions for SMART tests to add into the schedule? Like a daily short test, weekly long test for each drive or something like that? Is that even necessary?

My personal opinion is they are useless....the drive could have 1000 bad sectors, the smart test will pass anyway. I focus on observing the smart values, at least once a month, like I said those three values. Read the backblaze blog

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!