OMV on Proxmox

• I think IOMMU is only needed for PCI-E.

hmm maybe it would be better/easier for me to set up a new OMV3 and install webwirtmgr there and then install OMV2 and 3 as VMs.

But what I don't understand from the guide here in this forum: How can I access the webwirtmgr GUI? Just tipping on my laptops browser: ip-of-server:port-of-webvirtmgr ?

I would like to make a VM with OMV3 for using syncthing and FTP.

Does the openvpn-AS plugin work on OMV3 good?

• why do you need OMV2? what is you final goal for the setup?

and it is not as simple to install webvirtmanager on OMV as it seams.
    I have tried and it is quiet a quest.

and even though IOMMU may not be needed, you still need virtualization extensions supported by the CPU for KVM to work.

But what I don't understand from the guide here in this forum: How can I access the webwirtmgr GUI? Just tipping on my laptops browser: ip-of-server:port-of-webvirtmgr ?

yes that is the proper way, however you might need to enable ports on OMV firewall to make it work.
    I do not remember exactly port numbers but I had open ports 8000-9000 and 16000-17000
    webvirtmanager GUI uses port 8000 or 8080 and also port 16509 I think for noVNC console

so to get to the GUI you would use http://<your server ip>:8000 or 8080

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Opening Ports are only needed if I want to acess from over the internet i thougt?

If I still need OMV2 i don't know yet, but this is what I plan:

1. Host (Proxmox or OMV3)
    - if OMV3 is the Host, I'll use this for Fileserver in the LAN, Plex/Emby and openvpn-as

2. Virtualization (Virtualbox oder webvirtmgr if it is not proxmox)
    - OMV3 as a Guest for stuff going over the Internet (FTP, Syncthing, Webdav) (Problem I got with Virtualbox: Virtualbox uses the wrong HDD )
    - some other Linux-Server for Testing
    - Win 7
    - Win 8

I installed webvirtmgr on a guest to test it. The installation worked fine, but I cannot access to the webgui...

I get the error "
    No module named django.core.management"

• Opening Ports are only needed if I want to acess from over the internet i thougt?

yes it but true but we are not opening ports on your firewall/router , we are opening port on OMV firewall.
    systemd is secure by default, so all ports other than most common one like 80,443.. are blocked.
    in order for webvirtmanager to work you need to open them on OMV.
    if you would configuring access from outside you would need to do the same on OMV AND on your router/firewall box

• Offizieller Beitrag

systemd is secure by default, so all ports other than most common one like 80,443.. are blocked.

Um no. systemd doesn't block ports (iptables does) and no ports are blocked on a default OMV install.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• well in that case I do not know why I had to create ACCEPT rules for port range 8000-8500 and 16000-16800 when I tried to setup KVM + webvirtmanager on OMV3.0 last time I tested that.
    until I did that I could not get to to virtmanager GUI and open noVNC console from the GUI once I done that.

we service was running but webpage said connection refused. on the GUI part
    and on console it said access denied to the node or something like that.

once I added the rules in OMV firewall tab all worked as expected.
    I do not remember now but I think I had to reboot the server after adding rule, but I might be wrong on that one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure. Did you have any firewall rules before that? I setup webvirtmanager following luxflow's guide and didn't have to create any firewall rules. I never use firewall rules on my OMV boxes. I let my router do that work.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• nope, fresh omv 3.0 install.
    run all updates etc.
    install backport kernel but not boot into it.

well, here are the ports open on essentially fresh omv install.
    the only ports opened in addition to normal are "10000" for webmin and "18083" for virtualbox
    and

there are not ports in 8000-8500 range or 16000-16800 range.
    Frankly I might do the setup a new some time next week and see if it was just a glitch the last time.
    but I think run all under proxmox is a good option. so not sure if I want to go this rout myself now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A service won't listen on every port in the range it uses. Most services listen on one port and transfer you to another port once you make the connection. So, unless there are connections to one of those ports, netstat won't show them. That doesn't mean it is blocked.

• what can I say, it worked last time for me.
    if I have some time I will run the setup again and see.

• Not at the moment. I do testing in VM running on my win10 hyper-v. I had re installed the whole thing after testing.
    As on how, I just created a rule in firewall tab to accept on ports I want.
    Sorry do not have time right now. Might get some free time next week so will re-do the set-up again

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

• ok everybody,
    I had 40 min free today so I did a full test run on this one following the original guide.

FIY :I remember that yes if you run locally you do not need any firewall rules. you just setup a localhost connection to use with webvirtmanager...

here are my steps :

Step 1. install Debian 8 and run all updates
    Step 2. install OMV using

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

Step 3 . on WebGUI update all info as needed, Admin password, Network settings, repo selection etc.

run updates

Step 4 install omv-extras

Step 5. do KVM-webvirtmanager setup as per how-to

Step 6 DO NOT FORGET TO change "/var/www/webvirtmgr/conf/gunicorn.conf.py" to fix the port
    I could not figure out the SSH setup yet. so I change the port

Step 7 reboot

you should be able to login to WebVirtManager using <serveriIP>:8000

I think that what was OP issue. local port setting.

• Ah okay, i'll give it a try on my backupserver. Thanks!

On the main Server i installed proxmox and HDD passtrough ist working. Reading over LAN is fast (118mb/s) but writing is quiet slow (52mb/s). How can I improve this?

If i passtrough the HDD to the guest, i still see it in blkid on host. Should I install HD-idle on the host?

How can I add a HDD for virtual disk container to the host?

Do I have to change something because of SSD as Bootdrive?

Can I resize the Boot SSD (i dont need 60gb for Proxmox and would like to expand the storage space for VMs)?

• I think with proxmox you would see it as part oh host hardware, but I am not sure what would happen if you try to mount it on host. Either it will moint and drop it from VM or tell you that device not available.

Not really sure about how to adding second drive to host but I am sure it possible. My guess would be mount the drive on host and add it to the local storage. Repoint the image store to the new drive. Should be able to do all from ui.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

• To which part of my post belongs your first part? I'm a lil bit confused, maybe it is too late and I should go to bed..

What I mean with the second HDD: if I create a VM, it would be nice to give them some more space like virtual HDD container. Or does everyone stores their data on the bootdrive?

• To which part of my post belongs your first part? I'm a lil bit confused, maybe it is too late and I should go to bed..

Sorry I was responding from my phone and it is not very easy to quote properly there.
    the first part of my response where relating to this :

If i passtrough the HDD to the guest, i still see it in blkid on host. Should I install HD-idle on the host?

the second part was about adding more drives for data storage.

What I mean with the second HDD: if I create a VM, it would be nice to give them some more space like virtual HDD container. Or does everyone stores their data on the bootdrive?

I haven't used Proxmox for a while so I am not sure how to do this. but I know it is possible.
    no, not every one uses the boot drive to store vm data.
    but I am not sure if data storage is a whole or nothing deal with Proxmox.
    meaning can you have both locations or have to choose one and stick with it.
    i.e. can you keep the default data store locations as is AND add another locations and us it as well.

the core location by default is in "/var/lib/vz/" that is on your boot drive obviously.
    or you can add new data-store location and move all there.

Code
    Backups - /var/lib/vz/dump
    ISOs - /var/lib/vz/template/iso
    Images - /var/lib/vz/images
    Templates - /var/lib/vz/template/cache

here some links I found for proxmox storage info
    Proxmox Storage Model
    Mastering Proxmox Book

• ah okay.
    I'll explain my setup:
    I got a 240GB SSD for Proxmox and VMs.
    - Proxmox formated 60GB for its own. This is too much I think. I would like to resize it to 20GB. How can I do it? Is it possible to make it with Proxmox-WebGUI?
    - the other 180GB are for ISO and VMs and such things. But I don't want to save ISOs on a SSD. I would like to save them on another disk and would like to make a 20GB partition of the SSD for using for databases like Plex in a VM. Is this possible?

I got 4 3.5" HDDs, which I would like to passtrough directly to VM1
    I did this with
    qm set 100 -virtiox /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx
    The read-speed is great, but writing is kinda slow (52 mb/s). Is it possible to increase this?

Then I got a 1TB 2.5" HDD. I would like to create here virtual disks for two or more VMs. For example I would like to mount this virtual disk into OMV and start a FTP-Server on it. Is this possible?
    And I would like to synchronize the Data of this virtual disk once a week to another VM. How do I do this? Syncthing? rsync messed up some files last time...

I found this guide for adding new disks to proxmox:
    https://noteits.net/2015/05/04…al-storage-in-proxmox-ve/

will this work?

• it will work if you use LVM as file system, default case when you chose EXT4 or lower during install,
    if you use ZFS on install you will need different process.
    but essentially it would work.

all you really need is to add the disk to hardware, mount it and create a file system on it.
    than just point the data store to the mount location.
    i.e. basic process step by step as I see it based on all the how-to I read.

Step 1: install the drive or drives on host
    Step 2: create file system on the drive(s). you can do this individually drive per drive
    or use LVM, or ZFS to create a single pool.
    FYI: if using ZFS, plan ahead for the size of the pool. as far as I know ZFS pools are not
    expandable, or at least no easily. LVM or BTRFS is better in that regards.
    Step 3: mount the drive/FS pool you created in Step 2 in fstab so it is mounted on reboot.
    Step 4: using webUI add the new mount to data store indication what type of data it will store.

should work from there on.

again if you are using LVM (you choose anything other than ZFS during Proxmox install)
    and assuming the Proxmox install, or you during install, have partitioned the boot drive into separate partition/Volume groups to begin to,
    than you can(again based on many things I have found on google) setup specific Volume Group/Logival volumes per use and put the data stores on them
    for example:
    we have 4 basic locations used for storing data in Proxmox

0. VM config files - /etc/pve/qemu-server/

• Images - /var/lib/vz/images
    • Backups - /var/lib/vz/dump
    • ISOs - /var/lib/vz/template/iso
    • Templates - /var/lib/vz/template/cache

so, assuming we split the SSD onto 20GB - OS partition and 220GB data partition
    and we also adding a 1TB data drive

PS>> you can not resize install partition on live system if you not using LVM and even that is
    questionable. there might be ways to resize ZFS volume but I do not know.
    here something that might be helpful.

we could create a LV(say VMDATA) to hold locations 0 and 1 on SSD
    than we can create additional LV for backups, ISO, Templates. on the 1TB.

now we can maybe move all files from original folders in /var/lib/vz to this new LV locations and use simlinks to re-point the original folders to the LV.
    or simply mount all of this LV in fstab and ad them as appropriate data store options in WebUI.
    you might need to do some research on that one.

same would apply for ZFS and other FS but maybe with some extra steps here and there.

• it will work if you use LVM as file system, default case when you chose EXT4 or lower during install,
    if you use ZFS on install you will need different process.
    but essentially it would work.

all you really need is to add the disk to hardware, mount it and create a file system on it.
    than just point the data store to the mount location.
    i.e. basic process step by step as I see it based on all the how-to I read.

Step 1: install the drive or drives on host
    Step 2: create file system on the drive(s). you can do this individually drive per drive
    or use LVM, or ZFS to create a single pool.
    FYI: if using ZFS, plan ahead for the size of the pool. as far as I know ZFS pools are not
    expandable, or at least no easily. LVM or BTRFS is better in that regards.
    Step 3: mount the drive/FS pool you created in Step 2 in fstab so it is mounted on reboot.
    Step 4: using webUI add the new mount to data store indication what type of data it will store.

should work from there on.

again if you are using LVM (you choose anything other than ZFS during Proxmox install)
    and assuming the Proxmox install, or you during install, have partitioned the boot drive into separate partition/Volume groups to begin to,
    than you can(again based on many things I have found on google) setup specific Volume Group/Logival volumes per use and put the data stores on them
    for example:
    we have 4 basic locations used for storing data in Proxmox

0. VM config files - /etc/pve/qemu-server/

• Images - /var/lib/vz/images
    • Backups - /var/lib/vz/dump
    • ISOs - /var/lib/vz/template/iso
    • Templates - /var/lib/vz/template/cache

so, assuming we split the SSD onto 20GB - OS partition and 220GB data partition
    and we also adding a 1TB data drive

PS>> you can not resize install partition on live system if you not using LVM and even that is
    questionable. there might be ways to resize ZFS volume but I do not know.
    here something that might be helpful.

we could create a LV(say VMDATA) to hold locations 0 and 1 on SSD
    than we can create additional LV for backups, ISO, Templates. on the 1TB.

now we can maybe move all files from original folders in /var/lib/vz to this new LV locations and use simlinks to re-point the original folders to the LV.
    or simply mount all of this LV in fstab and ad them as appropriate data store options in WebUI.
    you might need to do some research on that one.

same would apply for ZFS and other FS but maybe with some extra steps here and there.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!